Dynadot

What are your WORSE domain investments that lost you money!?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Share your biggest domain losses.
Mine was support.mobi, won at auction for $1k and let it expired.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I think I would still need some personal teachings from you.
Simply register or buy better names. Write available domains in your note for future buy or registering. Generators of domains are, in registrars also are.

•••
Simply register or buy better names. Write available domains in your note for future buy or registering. Generators of domains are, in registrars also are.
Thanks, I do actually.

•••
should I renew the hairic in case I couldn't sell it before it expires?

I would, but more important, where are you selling it? Nameservers have been pointing to Dynadot for the whole time (previous year) according to Hosterstats. And I couldn't find it on their marketplace.

Last edited:
•••
I would, but more important, where are you selling it? Nameservers have been pointing to Dynadot for the whole time (previous year) according to Hosterstats. And I couldn't find it on their marketplace.
I still need to learn a lot of things though, listed it alongside others on Afternic as well, as regards the nameservers, I couldn't recall whether I changed them to Afternic.

Is it a must I do that?

•••
I still need to learn a lot of things though, listed it alongside others on Afternic as well, as regards the nameservers, I couldn't recall whether I changed them to Afternic.

Is it a must I do that?

Some kind of "for sale" landing page would be of help. And their commission (in case of a sale) is 15% if you use their or other Godaddy's nameservers, otherwise it's a whopping 25%.
Btw, I couldn't find that particular domain on Afternic either.

•••
An interesting study would be a deep dive into the countless posts on why investors have quit domaining because of the the extension they chose to invest in.

Often we invest too late, clouded by rational and proven results that have come from others but will never be realized by ourselves.

Explore other domain opportunities folks forge your own path. When we invest in 30yr old extensions, we are not helping ourselves but helping those who already have a foothold with strong names.

Not to say there isn't direction on the beaten path but it's strewn with garbage now and the only option is the waste bin.

I recommend Handshake. Open territory multitude of opportunity every domain or TLD under the sun has juice. You can resolve a top-level domain, build, trade, use it there is a dedicated browser. If you really truly love domains imagine owning the name in it's entirety.

Isn't the name really all our dreams? Handshake is the awesomest thing to ever happen to the Internet in modern times hands-down. Do a little research and expand what you think you know and what others want you to think, find out for yourself. Seriously. That's all I will say about that I hate being skewed towards an agenda.

I haven't made a worst investment, luckily. Things have always worked out. But have always kept an open mind what we think the Internet is now won't stay forever it is getting better, far beyond TM infringements, dn clawbacks, changing renewal fees, centralized control so on and so forth.

The internet should always have stayed the wild west. But we let it go. Built fences. The internet has NEVER been REAL. It is digital folks. It's NOT real life! You can't physically touch it. Now we've even gotten to the point of giving artificial intelligence actual credence over our lives! We had a choice, use it or stay off it! Look at the boundaries created now. For something that's on your screen!

Domains should be boundless 100% I'm sry you will never convince me otherwise.

•••
An interesting study would be a deep dive into the countless posts on why investors have quit domaining because of the the extension they chose to invest in.

Often we invest too late, clouded by rational and proven results that have come from others but will never be realized by ourselves.

Explore other domain opportunities folks forge your own path. When we invest in 30yr old extensions, we are not helping ourselves but helping those who already have a foothold with strong names.

Not to say there isn't direction on the beaten path but it's strewn with garbage now and the only option is the waste bin.

I recommend Handshake. Open territory multitude of opportunity every domain or TLD under the sun has juice. You can resolve a top-level domain, build, trade, use it there is a dedicated browser. If you really truly love domains imagine owning the name in it's entirety.

Isn't the name really all our dreams? Handshake is the awesomest thing to ever happen to the Internet in modern times hands-down. Do a little research and expand what you think you know and what others want you to think, find out for yourself. Seriously. That's all I will say about that I hate being skewed towards an agenda.

I haven't made a worst investment, luckily. Things have always worked out. But have always kept an open mind what we think the Internet is now won't stay forever it is getting better, far beyond TM infringements, dn clawbacks, changing renewal fees, centralized control so on and so forth.

The internet should always have stayed the wild west. But we let it go. Built fences. The internet has NEVER been REAL. It is digital folks. It's NOT real life! You can't physically touch it. Now we've even gotten to the point of giving artificial intelligence actual credence over our lives! We had a choice, use it or stay off it! Look at the boundaries created now. For something that's on your screen!

Domains should be boundless 100% I'm sry you will never convince me otherwise.
Can't be better articulated

•••
I registered a large number of domains based on seo parameters and now find that there are no link sales, so I have to sell domains cheaply or let them expire.

•••
I registered a large number of domains based on seo parameters and now find that there are no link sales, so I have to sell domains cheaply or let them expire.
daily business :D

•••
Thanks for sharing the link.:xf.smile:

•••
One of my fails was investing in a domain related to a trend that quickly faded away. I thought it would be a hit, but it turned out to be a bust, and I ended up losing money when I couldn't sell it for what I paid. Another regret was buying a domain with a cool-sounding name but without doing enough research on its market demand. Turns out, nobody was really interested in it, and I had to sell it for way less than I bought it for.

•••
Can I count mine as loss as yet?

After studying domaining for sometime I decided to obtain some, I did bought more than 12 in different niches from tech, relationship, life and finance.

To me, these domains are superb and expiring in the next 2 months, they came from my experiences in naming brands, so I thought they should sell well.

I even engraved some of them in my signature, but who would look at them?

Just wishing I sell them before expiry whist still learning domain business and making myself relevant here.
cryptomarketing needs to be in .com to have any resale value

•••
Another regret was buying a domain with a cool-sounding name but without doing enough research on its market demand. Turns out, nobody was really interested in it, and I had to sell it for way less than I bought it for.
For 'cool-sounding' names, first use dotdb, crunchbase, LinkedIn, open corporates and nameworth.
If no companies are using the name in their domain (or a variation), it's an uphill battle unless you play the volume game of having thousands of brandables for sale on a platform like BrandBucket, or Squadhelp.

•••
If no companies are using the name in their domain (or a variation), it's an uphill battle unless you play the volume game of having thousands of brandables for sale on a platform like BrandBucket, or Squadhelp.
If company uses a specific keyword that is in my domain, very hard to explain them why my domain better than their website address containing this keyword.

•••
Buying .no domains as they have low value, I even own boats and no sale after 9 years.

•••
If company uses a specific keyword that is in my domain, very hard to explain them why my domain better than their website address containing this keyword.
If their name is longer / hyphenated then your version might be a possible upgrade.

•••
Same as many here, losses were mostly hundreds of hand regs I renewed for 10 years and got no sales on. Dropped em. Now I see many of them sitting in HugeDomains portfolios and others for sale higher than I had them listed for. Frustrating but more power to them if they can sell what I couldn't for more money.

•••
My also bad investment - lots of cheap (1-5$) newgTLDs in the age of their dawn. Most of them were not sold.

•••
Plural noun
Unrealistic & Unapplication product noun
Mixed Named product
3N asset
non .com asset
Hyper Selfmade brand asset
Delusional selfmade brand name

My second year of Domaining was shambolic..

•••
6N's. Back when 5N.com's were worth quite a bit and 6N.com's were going up in value. I bought several hundred of them. I sold a couple. Ended up dropping all the rest within the year.

•••
6N's. Back when 5N.com's were worth quite a bit and 6N.com's were going up in value. I bought several hundred of them. I sold a couple. Ended up dropping all the rest within the year.

Strangley, some 6N get bid on at Gd auctions now

•••
I also made this mistake. Bought a bunch of cheap, and it was one of my epic fails.

•••
Strangley, some 6N get bid on at Gd auctions now

It depends on the numbers, if they're expired, and any backlinks. A domain that's not an expiring auction, no backlinks, and ordinary numbers with no pattern probably won't get any bids.

•••
Alright, so let me tell you, getting into the world of domaining has been an absolute rollercoaster, filled with its ups and downs and a whole lot of learning while I was at it. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've slipped up, making mistakes that cost me dearly, to the point where I've watched about half of what I initially made just vanish into thin air. But, despite all that, there's still a part of me that lights up with a bit of pride and joy whenever I see any kind of profit rolling in, even if it's just a small fraction of the earnings I had once upon a time.

Thinking back to the early years of the 2000s, I can distinctly remember the moment I sold my very first domain. It was such a thrilling experience, I felt as if I had just struck gold, perhaps even won the lottery. My excitement knew no bounds, and in that overzealous mood, I went on a spree, snapping up a whole collection of domains that, in hindsight, were nothing short of abysmal choices. All this, simply because I let greed get the better of me. The real moment of regret, the kind that makes you want to slap yourself for being so foolish, hit me when the time came to renew those domains, and the harsh truth dawned on me that I had made a colossal mess of things.

Not learning from my early blunders, I somehow got myself caught in the whirlwind of excitement surrounding .tv domains. Everyone was talking about these "premium" domains as if they were the next big thing, and without thinking it through, I invested a hefty sum into them, with some having renewal costs that skyrocketed to as much as $2,000 a piece. I held onto them for about 4 to 5 years, and it wasn't until the year 2008 rolled around that I finally managed to sell one for a whopping $25,000. However, when I sat down and did the math, the staggering amounts I had poured into the .tv domain venture had practically devoured all the profits I made from that sale.

Then, in 2006, I found myself diving headfirst into the world of .mobi domains, convinced that I was onto the next big thing. I spent a fortune on the aftermarket, snapping up these domains because they were all the craze on popular sites like Sedo and Afternic.

Eventually, I ended up letting go of all of them, but the ever-evolving domain industry, with its new technologies and the introduction of nTLDs, never fails to pull me back in, stirring up that initial excitement time and time again.

Now, here I am, still doing my best to resist the temptation of buying domains just because a whim strikes me, but I've got to be honest, it's tough. Old habits really do die hard, and every day is a new lesson in self-control and making smarter choices in the unpredictable world of domaining.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back