Dynadot

What are your WORSE domain investments that lost you money!?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Share your biggest domain losses.
Mine was support.mobi, won at auction for $1k and let it expired.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bought a very short, unique .com that I kept registered for about 20 years. Hand registered the matching .net and .org shortly after I got the .com, to go with it. I wanted to eventually use it for a personal business or product. I never had the perfect use for it, so just kept it for the future. Had an old e-mail address for the domain contacts which I rarely checked. Had auto-renew off.... I think you can see where this is going.

The .com expired. I didn't realize it until about 3 months after it had expired. The company that bought my domain at auction, renamed their entire company to it. I felt sick. Still do.

I offered to give them the .net and .org for free. No response from them. They did however trademark the name. I let the .net and .org expire. No use for me anymore.

An Asian company re-registered the .net. The .org is still available.

.com purchase + registrations for .com/.net/.org for about 20 years. Maybe not the most expensive mistake of my life, but one where only I am to blame.

I'll probably remember this mistake for the rest of my life. Certainly will if the company that owns it keeps growing. It was much more of an emotional investment for myself.

Don't be me. Keep your contacts updated and auto-renew on.

Last edited:
•••
Bought a very short, unique .com that I kept registered for about 20 years. Hand registered the matching .net and .org shortly after I got the .com, to go with it. I wanted to eventually use it for a personal business or product. I never had the perfect use for it, so just kept it for the future. Had an old e-mail address for the domain contacts which I rarely checked. Had auto-renew off.... I think you can see where this is going.

The .com expired. I didn't realize it until about 3 months after it had expired. The company that bought my domain at auction, renamed their entire company to it. I felt sick. Still do.

I offered to give them the .net and .org for free. No response from them. They did however trademark the name. I let the .net and .org expire. No use for me anymore.

An Asian company re-registered the .net. The .org is still available.

.com purchase + registrations for .com/.net/.org for about 20 years. Maybe not the most expensive mistake of my life, but one where only I am to blame.

I'll probably remember this mistake for the rest of my life. Certainly will if the company that owns it keeps growing. It was much more of an emotional investment for myself.

Don't be me. Keep your contacts updated and auto-renew on.
Dang, this one hurts to read. Sorry for your loss.

•••
Dang, this one hurts to read. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks. It was a very bad day for me when I saw the domain was gone from my account.
I told family and friends - no one cared.

Just glad I hadn't set up a business/product with it. Would have been terrible. Definitely a learning lesson.

I still don't understand why the company didn't respond to me about the free .net and .org. At first I figured they didn't want to risk some potential legal issue, but then they didn't register them after dropping either. I had them for future brand protection.

Oh well. Live and learn.

•••
Oh well. Live and learn.

Tid4me - just a few IMHO's

Some things seem to require major obstacles, of things not appearing to work out on face value. For instance, a lot of writers come right out and say this. About their hard years of rejection or else sending their work into the wrong hands, and so forth.

I think you have not a thing to worry about. This probably will shift your heading in the way it is supposed to. Surely you can find greater value in something other than what this had to do with. In today's society.

Personally I want to see others succeed. Gratitude forms the basis of so much more.

There are huge creative opportunities right now. Let it stir your imagination. Go for what you've always wanted greater ✨

Last edited:
•••
. ,

Last edited:
•••
My first domain sold was Universal.Credit

I bought it for 120$, created silly website, earned 25$ by Google ads, and after a year sold domain for 120$ again. But still not get money from Google ads... Haha...

•••
worst domain related investment for me is the time I lost. Money can never replace the time.

•••
tried dropcatching, only ever caught one domain. I accidentally requested / bid on a .net instead of .com. Cost me $69. - goyi .net.

•••
worst domain related investment for me is the time I lost. Money can never replace the time.
Totally agree. Its bad enough I am dropping the majority of my domains and occasionally selling them for reg fee, the time I spend for the $10 sale is much more than $10 worth. Add on all the other research and buying and its a massive, money losing initiative (hence why im dropping and selling them all)

•••
•••
Earlier when I said:
Go for what you've always wanted greater ✨

While wanting to exercise my new logi keypad - this particular moji option smacked of 3 stars in the faroff heavens. Highly inspirational. Then thought-provoked by forge's post - I happened to see the symbol is used here to "Switch from Automatic to Manual mode".

Strange indeed, how the subconscious works !

•••
Then thought-provoked by forge's post
:ROFL: I had tried to upload a gif but the link didn't work. As long as it was still thought-provoking, no loss!

•••
:ROFL: I had tried to upload a gif but the link didn't work. As long as it was still thought-provoking, no loss!
Since I can't yet button a Thanks. I'll do it manual. Thanks!

•••
I'm embarrassed to admit I was searching for ". ," trying to figure out if this was some cryptic emoji from the past or something new that I was behind the times on. Glad to have the mystery solved! :xf.grin:

•••
Nothing really tragic for me. Most of the domains I buy are a few hundred and under. The ones where I spend 4 figures and up are real good ones that I've made or will make money on. Only 2 instances where I lost and not that bad:

a .me that I paid $1500, I just let expire since I was going to .com only and .me sales were slowing down

MountMcKinley.com, an early buy for $1,500 where I beat F. Schilling in auction for, only for the official name to be changed to Denali shortly after. I just put it back up for auction at NJ and got a chunk back.

"On August 30, 2015, Sally Jewell announced that the mountain would be renamed Denali, under authority of federal law which permits her as Secretary of the Interior to name geographic features if the Board on Geographic Names does not act within a "reasonable" period of time."

Last edited:
•••
•••
"On August 30, 2015, Sally Jewell announced that the mountain would be renamed Denali, under authority of federal law which permits her as Secretary of the Interior to name geographic features if the Board on Geographic Names does not act within a "reasonable" period of time."
I wouldn't guess a single person can rename a mountain. What a heritage. Like it follows our whims.

Last edited:
•••
EV.xyz registered for premium & my friend renewed for premium!

•••
sold tulsastore.com for $1 at namepros
few months later it was sold for $2000
This cause you at all to re-evaluate your portfolio?

•••

Can I count mine as loss as yet?

After studying domaining for sometime I decided to obtain some, I did bought more than 12 in different niches from tech, relationship, life and finance.

To me, these domains are superb and expiring in the next 2 months, they came from my experiences in naming brands, so I thought they should sell well.

I even engraved some of them in my signature, but who would look at them?

Just wishing I sell them before expiry whist still learning domain business and making myself relevant here.

•••
I even engraved some of them in my signature, but who would look at them?
These are bad domains. I advice you to invest in keywords of something that means sense.

•••
These are bad domains. I advice you to invest in keywords of something that means sense.

Hairic is okay, imo.

hairic.png

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back