Dynadot

question What are the copyright rules for volvo.shop for example?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kaffekoppen

Established Member
Impact
I know there is brand protection rules in .com, but how is it with say volvo.shop or any other "brand" dot newtld?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It doesn't matter what extension it is, using a trademark in your domain is a no no

•••
First of all, you're confusing copyright with trademark. Two very different things!

As @pogba has already said, UDRP rules apply equally to all domains, no matter the extension.

•••
You can use volvo...just not for anything car related (or whatever else they do). I don't think they sell flowers, so you can make a flower shop from it and should win a UDRP challenge.
They are correct, though. Extensions do not matter. Volvo can still try to get their domain.

Last edited:
•••
Volvo means "I Roll" in latin, apparently. However, it has been a STRONG international trademark for over 100 years. Possible you might fend off a UDRP, but also very likely you will lose no matter what your plans are, as the panelists are not going to be fools, I'm sure.

Your only interest in this domain (presumably) is the value the car company Volvo brings to it. Registering a TM domain in the hopes the holder will buy it from you is textbook cybersquatting. This type of action brings a bad name to our industry.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back