Dynadot

Whåle vs Whale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Transnorden

Established Member
Impact
I'm not really interested in whether one is an idn and one is not . . many companies go to great lengths to beautify their name with logo designs, character mods ect. Just wondering which of these 2 catch phrase looks better in it's original form.

Now lets imagine it's a theme park!

# You'll have a Whåle of a time!

# You'll have a Whale of a time!

As a customer typing in these 2 from a
smartphone/tablet for bookings or just general info about the place, which one would instill greater excitement?? Whale.com or Whåle.com or if they are equally fun?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not really interested in whether one is an idn and one is not . . many companies go to great lengths to beautify their name with logo designs, character mods ect. Just wondering which of these 2 catch phrase looks better in it's original form.

Now lets imagine it's a theme park!

# You'll have a Whåle of a time!

# You'll have a Whale of a time!

smartphone/tablet for bookings or just general info about the place, which one would instill greater excitement?? Whale com or Whåle com or if they are equally fun?

Whåle does indeed "look" cool! :)

Unfortunately even if that's the name .. and even if the website is written Whåle // dot com everywhere, 99.999% of people are simply going to go to Whale // dot com I'm sorry to say ... rendering it essentially unusable by conventional business. The only business where it would work is one with zero offline branding .. zero word of mouth .. zero need for email .. essentially an online only marketing campaign where it's 100% click through ads.

One of those classic cases where it looks cool .. but never going to find a real end user I'm sorry to say. :(

You only chance is selling it to the actual owner of whale // com if there currently is an end user .. and maybe sell it cheap exactly for the reason I mentioned, online click campaign .. but even then .. I doubt they'd pay much for it I'm sorry to say!

Good luck with it all the same .. as least it looks fun .. :)

•••
Thanks Ategy! You are right in so many ways! What I'm hoping for is a new generation of users where exclusivity encourages a little learning. Fun is where it's at and visually appealing makes it very memorable.

For a person to type in something like Whåle creates instant loyalty as it's quite unforgettable. It will definitely require some capital for it to work but if the products are good enough people will come.

Word of mouth is always best, not to mention it's got good ground being a word that everyone is familiar with. If people are talking about it, they will know how to type it if needed, and if the business hasn't got a bad name yet, it is still good.

Sometimes exclusivity is where the success is. The feeling of achievement in locating something they've heard of and is interested in . . .

•••
Oh and just because Whåle.com exist doesen't make Whale any less valuable, if anything it'll make it more valuable imo : )

•••
smartphone/tablet for bookings or just general info about the place, which one would instill greater excitement?? Whale.com or Whåle.com or if they are equally fun?
Do you realize that people will need a Swedish keyboard ?
A fuzzy logo is one thing, but a domain name should be easy to type and not confusing.

•••
Whåle does indeed "look" cool! :)

Unfortunately even if that's the name .. and even if the website is written Whåle // dot com everywhere, 99.999% of people are simply going to go to Whale // dot com I'm sorry to say ... rendering it essentially unusable by conventional business. The only business where it would work is one with zero offline branding .. zero word of mouth .. zero need for email .. essentially an online only marketing campaign where it's 100% click through ads.

One of those classic cases where it looks cool .. but never going to find a real end user I'm sorry to say. :(

You only chance is selling it to the actual owner of whale // com if there currently is an end user .. and maybe sell it cheap exactly for the reason I mentioned, online click campaign .. but even then .. I doubt they'd pay much for it I'm sorry to say!

Good luck with it all the same .. as least it looks fun .. :)

Whåle = Fail

•••
Thanks Ategy! You are right in so many ways! What I'm hoping for is a new generation of users where exclusivity encourages a little learning. Fun is where it's at and visually appealing makes it very memorable.

This is essentially an emoji domain .. without the liquid wholesale backing of domainers who haven't a clue buying them for a little above reg fee. It isn't a generational thing .. it's a usability thing.

For a person to type in something like Whåle creates instant loyalty as it's quite unforgettable.

Unfortunately nobody will ever "type in" Whåle.com :(

It will definitely require some capital for it to work but if the products are good enough people will come.
Maybe if the product is keyboards with an å on it! ;) lol

Word of mouth is always best, not to mention it's got good ground being a word that everyone is familiar with. If people are talking about it, they will know how to type it if needed, and if the business hasn't got a bad name yet, it is still good.

I don't think you understood what I meant. This is a bad domain for any word of mouth benefit .. 99% of people will simply say "Whale.com" .. thus negating any word of mouth benefits.

Oh and just because Whåle.com exist doesen't make Whale any less valuable, if anything it'll make it more valuable imo : )

I was saying that if "Whale.com" does have an end user .. then it could increase the value of your domain (from zero to maybe $1-200) if you can convince them to buy it as a click-through domain for online only based marketing (they could use it as a unique domain to track campaign success .. but they really could use anything for this including whale.com/1 .. so you really can't ask for much)

Always keep in mind .. the more you need to justify a domain .. the less value it actually has.

Good luck with it all the same .. hope I'm wrong! :)

•••
Thanks for the opinion guys!

(Kate) It is an Swedish å, used in all of Scandinavia. For some reason it's also there in all english smartphone/tablet keyboard. Maybe it's made to access sites like these : )

(Ategy) I think 99.9% of people would agree with what you said so I'll stop justifying and just agree with myself lol.

Whåle.com

•••
(Kate) It is an Swedish å, used in all of Scandinavia. For some reason it's also there in all english smartphone/tablet keyboard. Maybe it's made to access sites like these : )
It's not readily available, maybe it is for you if you are Swedish and have a device set to the local language and regional settings. Other people have no idea. You can't seriously require random visitors to alert their settings to visit your website ? Terrible idea, you will bleed 100% of the traffic.
At least, use a real Swedish keyword if you are in the mood for IDNs. But even in .se IDNs only represent a very tiny percentage of registered domain (= not mainstream).

•••
Maybe you weren't aware of your devices features but all the vowels have this option. Long press any and you'll have a variety of options to choose from including the å. Could be there in anticipation of domains like these : )) ömg.com there are only about (30) 3-4 letter possibilities for domains like that. You can't do anything with a diamond beside it looking good, doesen't mean it has no value. These are not only rare, they can actually be something.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back