Dynadot

discuss .Web lawsuit by Donuts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Im here since only less than a week, what is the problem?

•••
Just give it to Verisign..

.web should be managed the same as .com -- no premium names / renewals or other bullshit.. just let Verisign or Google run it like .com.. Don't screw this extension up ICANN!!!!

Donuts WILL screw it up.. with stupid premium pricing.. and $25 / year renewals if they get control of it. Don't let Donuts get it!

I trust Donuts to manage niche extensions like .equipment, .plumbing, .lighting, etc.. but I DO NOT trust them to manage .web.

•••

.web should be managed the same as .com -- no premium names / renewals or other bullsh*t.. just let Verisign or Google run it like .com.. Don't screw this extension up ICANN

Donuts WILL screw it up too.. with stupid premium pricing.. and $25 / year probably if they get control of it. Don't let Donuts get it.

I trust Donuts to manage niche extensions like .equipment, etc.. but I DO NOT trust them to manage .web.
I agree on this one. .... So .web won't be for this year anymore.

•••
Can somebody explain to someone who is doing domaining since a week and has no idea about economics, what the article says?

Or in short: Can somebody ELI5 this to me?

•••
Im here since only less than a week, what is the problem?
Hello, 4 Years ago or so ICANN decided that new TLD's could come apart from the already existing ones (countryTLDS and generalTLDS like com net, asia, eu mobi tel etc....).
Everybody that put 180.000 USD on the table, could propose a new exention, together of course with the intention to become the registry of that new extention. A period followed that people could react against or for certain new exentions. At a certain point in time (3 years ago or so), no new applications could be done.
Now : There were several companies that did an application to launch a ".web"-extention and become the registry of that extention. When there were more then1 applicant for a certain new extention ==> an auction is held between the ones who wanted this domainextenation ....and the amount can go into the millions.
Now it's a bit clearer I hope : Donuts (company that has lots of the new domainextentions) is now beginning a lawsuit to get the auction between the applicants for .web extended. This means, that it will take more time before we know who will win this auction. And afterwards the new registry has to get a date when they begin launching the .web- extention.
As a lawsuit is busy, it is unlikeliky that the new exention .web will l launch this year to registrants like us who want to register domains with the extention .web. It could be leayed to the end of next year, for instance. Everything depends how long the lawsuit will take.
Kind regards,

•••
Hello, 4 Years ago or so ICANN decided that new TLD's could come apart from the already existing ones (countryTLDS and generalTLDS like com net, asia, eu mobi tel etc....).
Everybody that put 180.000 USD on the table, could propose a new exention, together of course with the intention to become the registry of that new extention. A period followed that people could react against or for certain new exentions. At a certain point in time (3 years ago or so), no new applications could be done.
Now : There were several companies that did an application to launch a ".web"-extention and become the registry of that extention. When there were more then1 applicant for a certain new extention ==> an auction is held between the ones who wanted this domainextenation ....and the amount can go into the millions.
Now it's a bit clearer I hope : Donuts (company that has lots of the new domainextentions) is now beginning a lawsuit to get the auction between the applicants for .web extended. This means, that it will take more time before we know who will win this auction. And afterwards the new registry has to get a date when they begin launching the .web- extention.
As a lawsuit is busy, it is unlikeliky that the new exention .web will l launch this year to registrants like us who want to register domains with the extention .web. It could be leayed to the end of next year, for instance. Everything depends how long the lawsuit will take.
Kind regards,

Thank you very much. You explained it very good!

But, why is everyone so hot on .web?

•••
I suspect the number of .web fans here is pretty low...

I'd love to see some Top 10 .web-domain lists from people like @brandnow who are excited for .web. What are these awesome domains you're looking forward to so much?

•••

.web should be managed the same as .com -- no premium names / renewals or other bullsh*t
.TV is managed by Verisign with tons of Premiums and for many years...

Last edited:
•••
.TV is managed by Verisign with tons of Premiums and for many years...

Thanks I didn't know that.. but do you think the decision to have premium names was made by the country of Tuvalu? It seems like something that a poor country would do in order to get more money. I don't know if Verisign made that decision.. maybe they just presented that option to Tuvalu?

•••
.TV is leased to Verisign by Tuvalu's gov. for 7-figure sum yearly...
These Premiums are own decision of Verisign.

Last edited:
•••
I swear at this rate we'll sooner have world war 3 and EMP that will send us to stone age than .web launch :xf.rolleyes:

•••
I swear at this rate we'll sooner have world war 3 and EMP that will send us to stone age than .web launch :xf.rolleyes:

.web should have been the first ngtld released, even before xyz

•••

.web should be managed the same as .com -- no premium names / renewals or other bullsh*t.. just let Verisign or Google run it like .com.. Don't screw this extension up ICANN!!!!

That would be nice but probably unlikely. :)

•••
.web should have been the first ngtld released, even before xyz

If it's going in to the court system this could take years.. :rolleyes:

•••
Thank you very much. You explained it very good!

The reason everyone is so hot on .web is the fact that it's very short. Unlike lots of new TLDS.
Now several registrars gave in the last 4 years "free preregistrations" for an enormous amount of the new TLDS.(and when you do that, they promise to send info -at least that's what they say- when the domain really is launching -what could be 3 years later- and then you can change your bid in a binding bid and pay) As free preregistrations cost nothing, lots of domainers and end-users placed such a preregistrations. Hundreds of thousands over the several new GTLD's that wil come.
NOW ===> Some of these registrars published after a year or so on their site "how much of the new TLD's that would come, had the most free preregistrations."
AND NEARLY everywhere .WEB became first (most preregistrations).
This means that lots of domainer see that as a very good alternative for .com.

BUT don't be fooled ! In the past 2 years and some months several new TLD's were actually launched and some thingswere unexpected ==>
Suddenly lots of these new extentions ask a lot of money for so-callled "premium registry" domains, that cost more then their regular price for domains. What's even more awful is is that of these premium registry extentions, the renewal after one year also costs more then regular domains. So high costs to register, high costs to renew. Try to register a domainname that seems quite popular underthe extention ".OOO"
Of course you must be a fool to pay 45.000 for a domain, of which the renewalrate is the next year also 45.000 $.
And every registry of new domains does that nearly (but not so proposturous then .OOO).

The consequence is that there is lot of confusion => For instance : In the whois you can't see if a domain is a "premium registry" domain. (I know a trick how you can know if a registerred domainname is a "registry premium domain" (and I'll give you that trick in a PM when i have more time).

BUT that's not the only problem =>> the word "premium" in the past meant a domainname that somebody calls himself as a domain of high value and costs f.i. 1.000$, fromthe domainer to sell it to you but the renewal rate of that .com is only 10 USD- 20 USD depending on the registrar. That's reasonable.

So always look very careful from now on with the word "premium". it can mean high price and high renewalrate, or it can mean high price, but normal renewalrate.
Now there are registrars who already show the renewalrate of domains that you buy and are classified in the search results as PREMIUM => www.name.com is such one. in tiny lettersyou can see "renews at 1.000 USD or 20 USD."So the market is adjusting a bit. (do know that name.com charges VAT for Europeans surplus on the price you see ; several other US registrars don't charge VAT + Europeen registrars nearly always only show the price wihtout VAT and somwhere tiny wriite +21% VAT

Andthen there is the problem with the several registries of specific extentions.Some have low cost to register but very high cost to renew. A dotmobi (= not a newTLD, because leunched in 2008 or so) registers lower then it renews. A .co-domains also. You can find some things at www.domcomp.com

Another problem is that there are an enormous amount of new registries that have (relatively) somewhat high costs for EVERY DOMAIN of the extention they have you can register. For instance
100 USD normal registrationrate. And 100 USD renewalrate. I find that quite high.

If .web will take 70 USD as it's normal registerrate of a domain...".web" then .web won't be a success
in "amount of registerred domains under that extention" (although the "amount doesn't say everything about the quality" of the extention).So even though it would have had the most preregistrations of all new TLDS at most registrars who gave the possibility to preregister for free it wouldn't get much registrations, because they would put its registrationfee quite high. An enormous amount of persons would cancel their preregistrations once the real price is known.
(with 70 USD I mean the price when the .web-domain comes into the "General Availability Phase" Because before a new extentions is launched there are several phases (NOTE, I can't go into specific details now about all these phases, I'll PM that another time, or you can search it up))

==> BUT AT THIS TIME we don't know how much the regular registrationfee will be of a .webdomain, and it's even not known what registry (donuts or another one) will win the auction to obtain the .web-domainextention as theirs.
So we certainly don't know anything about pricing AT ALL. Also3 years ago we didn't know, and yet lots of people preregisterred for free of al TLDs the most ".Web-preregistrations".

I know that united-domains.com and Gandi.net are showing somewhere the amount of preregistrations of each new TLD on their site. Go and look once. And it's also so that there are registrrs where .web wasn't on 1st place. It all depends on the registrars, of what country that registrar is. etc.

I hope this clarifies already a lot.
In any case : be cautious !!

PS Sorry for some typing errors. There's something with my keyboard.

•••
The reason everyone is so hot on .web is the fact that it's very short. Unlike lots of new TLDS.
Now several registrars gave in the last 4 years "free preregistrations" for an enormous amount of the new TLDS.(and when you do that, they promise to send info -at least that's what they say- when the domain really is launching -what could be 3 years later- and then you can change your bid in a binding bid and pay) As free preregistrations cost nothing, lots of domainers and end-users placed such a preregistrations. Hundreds of thousands over the several new GTLD's that wil come.
NOW ===> Some of these registrars published after a year or so on their site "how much of the new TLD's that would come, had the most free preregistrations."
AND NEARLY everywhere .WEB became first (most preregistrations).
This means that lots of domainer see that as a very good alternative for .com.

BUT don't be fooled ! In the past 2 years and some months several new TLD's were actually launched and some thingswere unexpected ==>
Suddenly lots of these new extentions ask a lot of money for so-callled "premium registry" domains, that cost more then their regular price for domains. What's even more awful is is that of these premium registry extentions, the renewal after one year also costs more then regular domains. So high costs to register, high costs to renew. Try to register a domainname that seems quite popular underthe extention ".OOO"
Of course you must be a fool to pay 45.000 for a domain, of which the renewalrate is the next year also 45.000 $.
And every registry of new domains does that nearly (but not so proposturous then .OOO).

The consequence is that there is lot of confusion => For instance : In the whois you can't see if a domain is a "premium registry" domain. (I know a trick how you can know if a registerred domainname is a "registry premium domain" (and I'll give you that trick in a PM when i have more time).

BUT that's not the only problem =>> the word "premium" in the past meant a domainname that somebody calls himself as a domain of high value and costs f.i. 1.000$, fromthe domainer to sell it to you but the renewal rate of that .com is only 10 USD- 20 USD depending on the registrar. That's reasonable.

So always look very careful from now on with the word "premium". it can mean high price and high renewalrate, or it can mean high price, but normal renewalrate.
Now there are registrars who already show the renewalrate of domains that you buy and are classified in the search results as PREMIUM => is such one. in tiny lettersyou can see "renews at 1.000 USD or 20 USD."So the market is adjusting a bit. (do know that name.com charges VAT for Europeans surplus on the price you see ; several other US registrars don't charge VAT + Europeen registrars nearly always only show the price wihtout VAT and somwhere tiny wriite +21% VAT

Andthen there is the problem with the several registries of specific extentions.Some have low cost to register but very high cost to renew. A dotmobi (= not a newTLD, because leunched in 2008 or so) registers lower then it renews. A .co-domains also. You can find some things at

Another problem is that there are an enormous amount of new registries that have (relatively) somewhat high costs for EVERY DOMAIN of the extention they have you can register. For instance
100 USD normal registrationrate. And 100 USD renewalrate. I find that quite high.

If .web will take 70 USD as it's normal registerrate of a domain...".web" then .web won't be a success
in "amount of registerred domains under that extention" (although the "amount doesn't say everything about the quality" of the extention).So even though it would have had the most preregistrations of all new TLDS at most registrars who gave the possibility to preregister for free it wouldn't get much registrations, because they would put its registrationfee quite high. An enormous amount of persons would cancel their preregistrations once the real price is known.
(with 70 USD I mean the price when the .web-domain comes into the "General Availability Phase" Because before a new extentions is launched there are several phases (NOTE, I can't go into specific details now about all these phases, I'll PM that another time, or you can search it up))

==> BUT AT THIS TIME we don't know how much the regular registrationfee will be of a .webdomain, and it's even not known what registry (donuts or another one) will win the auction to obtain the .web-domainextention as theirs.
So we certainly don't know anything about pricing AT ALL. Also3 years ago we didn't know, and yet lots of people preregisterred for free of al TLDs the most ".Web-preregistrations".

I know that united-domains.com and Gandi.net are showing somewhere the amount of preregistrations of each new TLD on their site. Go and look once. And it's also so that there are registrrs where .web wasn't on 1st place. It all depends on the registrars, of what country that registrar is. etc.

I hope this clarifies already a lot.
In any case : be cautious !!

PS Sorry for some typing errors. There's something with my keyboard.
Holy sh.... thank you! This is a very nice indepth explanation! Good job!

•••
That is not cool there is such a delay..I am looking forward to .WEB:)

•••
How do you think Chris Ambler feels?

Michael: Wow. All right, and every programmer that I know has an umbrella company that they use for launching all of their myriad of projects. We get ideas. We think we can solve something. We launch a project. Your company was called Image Online Design, or IOD. And in doing research on IOD, I found that IOD was the first to put in a request to run the .WEB top-level domain back in 1995. Is that correct?

Chris: Yeah, it was actually ’94 that we proposed it. We were actually the first to commercially propose a new TLD at all. There were about seven or eight people who had expressed interest, but we were the first to come along and say well, we can actually do it. .WEB was one of them along with a couple others. And honestly, it almost actually almost happened. John Postel basically said show us rough consensus in running code, we built a registry, and just as it looked like there might be some new TLDs in 1995/1996, that is when the U.S. Government stepped in and said wait a minute, this is bigger than all of you put together.

Michael: Yeah. So, I want to chat a couple of minutes about that because you talk about vision in the domain name industry for people that are able to spot domain names that have a high value, but they spotted it 20 years ago. That is what you did. If you are looking at all the new top-level domains, I think arguably people would say the most expensive real estate will be .APP because there are just so many apps. The whole app economy took over, and .WEB, which is still I believe in contention. What gave you the idea to want to run .WEB back in ’94 and earlier time period?

Chris: So, I started doing web design in ’94/’95, when it was brand new, and I kind of saw the value there. I saw where it was going to be going. A lot of people were thinking this is just going to be online brochures, and it was quite clear to me that we were going to have more away. Being a William Gibson fan at the time, I had the whole Cyberpunk vision in my head.

So, we started doing websites. That is what Image Online did. We did websites for auto dealers, for local businesses. Being in a college town, where everybody was on the Internet, there were actually a lot of people who could use a website. One day, I am writing a check to Network Solutions for three thousand dollars for 30 domain names, because back then it was one hundred dollars for two years. It was 50 bucks per year. You had to pay in two-year increments.

Michael: Right.

Chris: I am writing this check and I am thinking okay, this is idiotic. I can run a zone file just like the next guy. Why don’t I just create my own .COM zone file and we bifurcate the thing? And then I start thinking about DNS and I am thinking no, that is not going to work. It would have to be a separate domain. And then, at that point, who cares what it is? I just shot off an email to John Postel and Diana and said, “This is ridiculous. I would like to run my own top-level, but there is no facility in the registration template to say I want to be at the top level, not at a second level.”

And he came back and said, “Oh, you noticed that, did you?” And so, he said, “Well, which one would you want to run – just I am curious -, and we can work on this.” I actually came up with .AUTO, .CAR, and .WEB, because we had been doing a lot for auto dealers. And actually I proposed to a couple the auto manufacturers. You want dot whatever your brand is.

Michael. BRAND.

Chris: So, I came up with that too, and I had no clue what I was talking about.

Michael: Right. Exactly, because they barely understood the web at that point.

Chris: Right. Right.

Michael: Yeah.

Chris: So, that is where it all started.

Michael: So, you started the conversation, but there was no formal application process like ICANN set forth in preparing for the latest round of the gTLDs in 2012. What happened to your application between when you put in that request in 1995 and then, in 2012, when a bunch of companies put in an application for 2012?

Chris: Yeah, so I will compress a lot of stuff. The TLDR version. So, in the early ’90s, it was proposed that there would be a modest two-thousand-dollar application fee to cover costs. We put together the application, which was based on the initial domain registration template that Network Solutions was using. Network Solutions, which later became VeriSign. We enclosed a check and put it in an envelope. Gave it to John, who said, “I am going to put this on the stack of papers for when the time is right to start doing applications.”

And we asked him. We said, “Can we give this to you now so that we do not waste time, and this establishes some priority.”

Chris: And then he said sure. After the government came along, the envelope was returned to us. John Postel claimed that he never knew what was in the envelope and we slipped it into a stack of papers, yet his note returning it said, “With the government being involved, your applications is being returned.” Well, if he did not know what was in it, how did he know it is an application?

Chris: And there have been court cases and this came out in court. So, in 2000, ICANN had their round. We applied for .WEB. So did Affilias. So did NewStar. Affilias, as we know, was given .INFO. NewStar was given .BIZ. Nobody was given .WEB and Vince Surf went on the record, and you can always go back and watch the videos. He said, “We may not be approving IO Design today, but I am not comfortable giving .WEB to anybody else because they were the pioneer.” Anybody who applied in 2000 would be considered application pending, not denied, so we are approving these seven. All the rest of you, you are still pending. Let’s see how the seven go and we will revisit it later.”

And so, some 12 years later, after touching every continent except Antarctica, going to every ICANN meeting, they came along with a round in 2012, or when they started that round, and they essentially said everybody who applied in 2000, been nice knowing you. Please go pound sand.

Michael: Yeah, and you decided at that point not to put an application in, in that round.

Chris: We chose that because ICANN said if you apply, you must sign this waiver saying you have no rights from the previous round.

Michael: Right, and you were not willing to do that of course because you had been through so much.

Chris: Sure seems like for me.

Michael: Yeah, of course. And so, I went to ICANN’s website yesterday because I could not remember what the status of the .WEB top-level domain is and it looks like it is in some sort of locked state. I cannot remember the number. It has probably ten or 15 applicants, one of which I think is a holding company for Google, if I am not incorrect.

Chris: Google is involved. I believe Donuts has an application in. I mean there are a bunch.

Michael: There are a bunch, yeah.

Chris: It was of the opinion it was going to go for the most money in the ICANN auction of last resort because I do not think those guys will agree amongst themselves. With the 41.5-million-dollar .SHOP sale yesterday or a couple of days ago, I think it might be second most. I think that 41.5 million might shock some people into more rational valuations, but I still think ICANN is going to collect upwards of 25 million dollars for it.

Michael: Yeah, wow.

Chris: I would like one percent, please.

Source - http://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/

•••
Holy sh.... thank you! This is a very nice indepth explanation! Good job!
There is more to explain, but that's for later.

I don't see on gandi.net and uniteddomains anymore their lists of amount of preregistrations of NEW TLDS.
The reason for that is of course that most of the new TLDS are already in Go-Live period for the last 2 years.(I have somewhere the old lists in some notpads, but, I had a crash, and although the info is "saved" by an expert, I don't see everything yet, but only part of my files and notepads. I'll have to go to him again.

And of another reason for .web being popular, is the following =>
.com is King as they say. But what are we working on : on the World Wide WEB, als called the interNET. .net already exists, but .web not yet.

•••
WWW= World Wide Web = .web= has already exist= wasting room.

•••
•••
.web apparently sold for $135m at the ICANN auction of last resort today according to an article over at DomainNameWire.com.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back