NameSilo

opinion We must share our portfolio with one close family member? Agree?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

We must share our portfolio with one close family member?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    82.2%
  • No

votes
    17.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

EmpireNames.com

Founder @ Rooted.com Previously Empire NamesTop Member
Impact
Since domainers invest alot of money.do you guys think we should have one close relative who should know our all domain names with second access f something happened to us so they can use it later.
RIGHT OR WRONG?I shared my all domains with my wife & my brother .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Years ago we prepared hard copy lists of important domain related data - all the names - passwords - estimated value - any inquiries re names, etc - "in the event" it was needed.

Obviously too - duplicate lists exists online.

As we have several family related domain names specific potential heirs are aware of their existence.

Potential heir/s too have been / would be advised re same lists, the need to do prompt renewals etc.

Same done with other unique assets including identification photos and other related data.

Preparation prevents desperation .

Last edited:
•••
I keep instructions and a valuation of assets in a secure place. In case something happens to me I've told my wife what to do and in case something happens to us both some family members know what to do as they'd basically would need to take care of my daughter anyway.

Most of my brothers are quite tech savvy so I'm sure they'd be able to handle the task. Most important is a good valuation for your domains (and other assets) so they won't sell that lll.com for a quick couple of bucks :).

I've set a price range for a decent quick sale may they need the cash and a price range long term if they can hold on to it plus some pointers on where to look when liquidation is needed. Same goes for collectables (my vinyl collection, guitars collection etc).

•••
There was a recent death (2017 I recall) of a well known UK domainer, and as the months passed discussions about the drops, each one was a sad reminder of the guys passing. discussion then seem to have stopped so I'm hoping one of the established members had made contact with the family.

I'm not sure sharing my entire portfolio would be a sensible decision. I can just imagine the mind-blowing discussions that are going to be had with non-domainers at family gatherings. My immediate family know all about my domains in general, I'm sure its the first thing my brother in particular, would seek out, passwords are there to be had with a bit of perseverance.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, @Rizwan Razzaq for starting this thread. I have a few domains so already have an excel file on the desktop containing the buying price. I made a hard copy of different registrars and their password including Paypal and Banks net banking. I already said to my close friend if something happens to me, sell my domains and give money to my parents. Although he is not from the domain industry, at least we will get the invested money back.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back