NameSilo

.tv Wasting Money....

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

poiuytrewq

Established Member
Impact
25
Hi there all you Dot Tv-ers...

I've been hanging around this wonderful forum for a couple of months now and recently I've noticed a proliferation of CNR (crap-name-regging!). I think there are people regging unsellable names (alot of the times in large numbers) and I can't understand what they are trying to achieve. Perhaps they are rich and $25 a time is not a problem. Perhaps I have the problem and don't understand! But I don't see wasting money as a good thing. :)

I suppose this is an age-old domainers problem but I find it frustrating and I genuinely get concerned for people wasting money! I want to shout from the rooftops STOP!!!!!!!!!!

Surely, logic would dictate that maybe it's sensible to buy a few domains, see if they sell, see if you have the knack, then buy some more? The approach should be one you would use if you were buying properties. Isn't that sensible?

But I'm seeing people buy tens/hundreds and hoping one will sell. Well, it better be a very good sale because you're already hundreds/thousands down to start with in reg fees! It makes absolutely no sense. And anyway, there aren't many decent TVs left so they would be better forgetting about regging fruityhomesrealtorkittens.tv and looking towards the aftermarket. THIS is the place to be. Forget about normal regging, there are some great names available in the Aftermarket still but sellers are becoming more aware of the potetntial of .TV and it's becoming harder to get a bargain. But yeah, if you look you can still pick up that awesome generic name for $xxx!

Point of my rant: Surely it is better to have one awesome name which cost $xxx and will increase in value than 50 crap ones which cost $x,xxx and is just gonna gather virtual dust. Dot TV is still a largely unproven market in its infancy.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. I feel better now.

Happy domaining everyone!
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Jammer said:
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it,but that doesn't mean it's right.Everyone has different interests,so what may seem foolish to you,may not in fact be foolish to someone else.Your niche is obviously music videos...well I have no interest all all in music videos,so that choice of name wouldn't be appropriate for me,but that doesn't make it a crap or foolish name.You may not have the same interests as me,but my names may be important to me and I see value and usage in them.What other people buy is really none of your business and it makes no sense to try and regulate what otherpeople want to buy.:)

Agreed! value is in eye of beholder-period!
 
0
•••
Well I hardly noticed all the bad registrations.. I just put a freakin ruber stamp on every name I see; Crap Crap Crap Crap .... Nah just kidding! Its a learning curve folks. Just forget about it! Every single person here has let names expire. No one is exempt from bad registrations. It has been discussed, hashed and rehashed. It is the natural course of a domainers life. Invest, learn and re-invest, learn some more. Unfortunately some folks don't learn as fast as others.

My advice would be to give encouragement and maybe explain a better way of registering if you have any tips.
 
0
•••
google yahoo myspace wikipedia alexa verisign facebook craiglist flickr comcast rapidshare etc etc - they are some of the most highly ranked sites in the world..

They also would of been called crap regs back then also... Its up to your branding, if your just in this game to sell names, well thats a different story...

reg away.
 
0
•••
PhilM said:
if your just in this game to sell names, well thats a different story...

Uhhh, a lot of persons consider this "domaining", a significant purpose of this forum.
 
0
•••
domainacrobat said:
Well I hardly noticed all the bad registrations.. I just put a freakin ruber stamp on every name I see; Crap Crap Crap Crap .... Nah just kidding! Its a learning curve folks. Just forget about it! Every single person here has let names expire. No one is exempt from bad registrations. It has been discussed, hashed and rehashed. It is the natural course of a domainers life. Invest, learn and re-invest, learn some more. Unfortunately some folks don't learn as fast as others.

My advice would be to give encouragement and maybe explain a better way of registering if you have any tips.


Wonderful advice!
 
0
•••
WolfMother said:
Uhhh, a lot of persons consider this "domaining", a significant purpose of this forum.

yes I realise this.. not sure of your point?
 
0
•••
Your post is not relevant to the topic(Questionable .TV registrations). It's obvious that the people who register names and immediately put them up for appraisal are initially hoping to turn them around for profit not "brand" them as you were referencing. That is called development, and yes, they would care less about how much others think their name is worth because they are looking to make a business out of the name. This is about registering a name as an investment and then selling it later for a profit so they really are "just in this game to sell names"

Keep reading bud.
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back