Domain Empire

discuss Wangdoodles thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameShiba

Top Member
Impact
@Moderation team -- please move this thread to a separate article if it belongs somewhere different.

I have an issue with domains.

I wrote a blog article last night that was in effort to be humorous while directing the company owner over to the blog that I registered a domain on his platform -- which was the .NET of his website.

In my blog article, I offered to give the domain over to him if he reached out to me.

He in turn -- decided to start litigation and legal threats to sue me.

I need community to weigh in on this -- and feel like there should be a thread similar to the reddit discussion.

r/amitheasshole?

The offending blog post:
https://www.nameshiba.com/blog/how-i-doodled-my-whangs

I want opinions on both sides of the fence. In every single regard to the way I handle myself online -- I attempt to be as professional as possible in this retrospect, however, I feel like the person involved believes I am acting in bad faith.

I had posted our responses in the blog article subsequently and offered to give him back the domain if he dialed back the threatening actions.

Thank you once again @NamePros community for your weigh in.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
if offered give back; yet still threaten you back

fool; Who wants to be on news to get attention

Since he barely has followers of new service

Last edited:
•••
your post was innocuous

avoid litigation so name isnt edged in “UDRP”

It’s practically there forever if ppl look you up

Last edited:
•••
I call @jberryhill to the stand even though he might not post, see it or have time. love hear this guy’s perspective on matters such as this.

Last edited:
•••
I submitted the domain for deletion. It will have to propagate and he will have to register it on his own.

I still stand by what I did -- I did not do it in an effort to attack a corporation or entity. I did it purely to convey a lesson that brand protection is vital in this industry in a humorous light.

I also was going to consider using him as a platform to be a customer at since I was interested in the whole side of the industry that I was not aware of. I had no idea reseller registrars were a thing and I've been here for four years. You learn something new every day.

Whangdoodles.net will be up for registration whenever deletion occurs. Hot potato there.

•••
i generally avoid Reseller registrars.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Beware -- you may be whangdoodled.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Another reseller is MailChimp (Tucows reseller

I had no idea that resellers were operating en masse.

I looked into the requirements of becoming a reseller -- and it was only 25$ according to GoDaddy for a non refundable deposit.

Clever business and marketing strategy in my opinion. I hope other registrars take notice and have the ability to have others buy into their deals for free promotion.

I was extremely confused at the lack of an IANA ID number -- until I discovered the whole reseller registrar side of the industry which has been incredibly fascinating.

•••
Update:

Hashed it out with Whangdoodles.

They received the .NET -- I gave him some advice and told him to sign up here on NamePros as it would be an invaluable tool for him to be more involved in the industry as a reseller.

So if he joins -- feel free to give him a warm welcome.

•••
If you did this to me when I had just set up a new business I would be pissed as hell, he did not know you or have any business connection with you and did not consent to be part of your promotional content.

Why should he have to go out and reg loads of other extensions? He has the .com and unless anyone else decides to set up a domain reseller company called "Whangdoodles" then he would have had nothing to worry about.

Does not look good from my view, why should he have a sense of humour when you have plastered his twitter profile and correspondence all over your blog and turned it into a big song and dance - you created a public argument with someone and have shamed him -

"Let it be known in my professional opinion -- that the owner has a lack of humor "

I mean the fu*k is this about? You started the whole thing

•••

I absolutely agree with you.

I would be pissed as well. I see the point you made and his point exactly and apologized to him in light of the criticism.

Damage has been done, mistakes were made and changes took place quickly in an effort to move things to be more constructive than destructive.

It did come across as shaming after looking at the response since it was made in response to quick response legal threats.

I edited the blog as well in light of this and have reached out to him over email. He may be joining the forums shortly -- in which case feel free to give him a warm welcome. :)

I do feel like now and moving forward the tone has changed in the conversation and will be focused on more productive talk for all parties involved. I feel like a good place to start in his platform would be here. The more he knows about the industry proper -- the better he can tailor his services to be more attractive to people with larger portfolios.

I stand by the point that it is important the register other main extensions available if you are starting out with .COM/.NET/.ORG as a mainstay.

It is a good place to start and look forward to transforming what was originally meant to be in good spirits and humor which was received poorly and transforming it into something that would be informative and productive for everyone involved.

A really interesting take in all of this is that domain registrars offer reseller services for white-label brands. I think that alone is something I have just come to know about -- and it has been fascinating to do more research in it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back