Dynadot

Walmart Acquires TechBetter.com from Michael Krell

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Michael Krell is the most prolific seller on BrandBucket, month in and month out Michael racks up at least a dozen sales.

One name that was reported sold in May was TechBetter.com, the name apparently sold for $2,395 according to DNBolt.com. The whois has updated and the buyer is WalMart.

The fixed pricing of BrandBucket may have saved WalMart some money and cost Michael some. It stands to reason they had a bigger budget than $2,395. Now you can’t get caught up in the hype of some that think a Fortune 500 will pay six figures because they can afford to do that.

Source

So, the learning is, you should know who you are dealing with.
Of course you can't do that when putting a Buy Now price on your names on marketplaces, and also on brandables when putting them on sites like brandable marketplaces, but the buyer research can be done in other cases, which helps you determine the final price for the domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why is it up to MK to justify if this was a decent buy? Shouldnt you be asking the buyer that question?
MK was the seller...and from MK's point of view it was a great sell because he made a decent profit on the sale.
It was a great sale! I'm sure he paid $8 for it and wouldn't bid more than that of it was up for auction.... and No, I'm looking for why that shitty name was even listed. If it was me or you, wal mart would have never seen it because it wouldn't have been accepted. Don't kiss ass and don't be afraid to call the kettle black.... LUCK is what got this one. BB has phenomenal SEO, not brands however.

Admit it, they list a ton of bull shit that gets sold on here for $30-$40. If these auctions didn't have the BB credibility stamp, they'd be $1-$10. Tell me I don't make sense. Also, please only quote the part of my post that you disagree with, you never said anything about me saying its a shitty name. Maybe you are realizing something. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
It was a great sale! I'm sure he paid $8 for it and wouldn't bid more than that of it was up for auction.... and No, I'm looking for why that sh*tty name was even listed. If it was me or you, wal mart would have never seen it because it wouldn't have been accepted. Don't kiss ass and don't be afraid to call the kettle black.... LUCK is what got this one.
Walmart could have chosen 33K other names. Doubt very much they bought this one because MK influenced them to buy it.

Any name with the word 'tech' will sell. Include an adjective like 'better' and the name becomes even more attractive.

'TechBetter' is nowhere near as good as 'BetterTech' but Walmart purchased what was available at the time.

•••
Walmart could have chosen 33K other names. Doubt very much they bought this one because MK influenced them to buy it.

Any name with the word 'tech' will sell. Include an adjective like 'better' and the name becomes even more attractive.

'TechBetter' is nowhere near as good as 'BetterTech' but Walmart purchased what was available at the time.
To each his own. They have the wherewithal to purchase the better name. Kmart or Target would have......i'm not gonna argue over BB or MK quality. They are great at SEO.

•••
I am far from a Krell ass kisser but I actually like the name. WriteBetter, ReadBetter, RunBetter, etc...TechBetter has a nice ring to it that would be great for a marketing campaign to the younger tech generation.

Don't for a second think that Walmart went to BrandBucket looking for a name. That's foolish. They landed at BB when they typed in the name to see if it was taken or not.

•••
I am far from a Krell ass kisser but I actually like the name. WriteBetter, ReadBetter, RunBetter, etc...TechBetter has a nice ring to it that would be great for a marketing campaign to the younger tech generation.

Don't for a second think that Walmart went to BrandBucket looking for a name. That's foolish. They landed at BB when they typed in the name to see if it was taken or not.
Wal mart needed a tax write off. And the 3 names you stated are nice, but the fourth that we are discussing? You really feel it makes sense? Hmmm... It'd be a better betting site or tech start up fundraising site than whatever Wal Mart could ever use it for. Still not strong or worth the money. Ask yourself, please, "if it were up for auction, where would my stopping point be?" $5? $10, maybeeee $15 if I had a few Heinikens? Come on man.....

•••

I assume Walmart told you that?

•••

Even with the point I was trying to make, the person I quoted agreed it wasn't the better name. He said "better tech" was better. Surely you agree!

•••
"Food better" is a great brandable because everybody needs food to survive. ITS ALL ABOUT THE NITROGEN RETENTION BABAYYYY, LMAO!

•••
Wal mart needed a tax write off. And the 3 names you stated are nice, but the fourth that we are discussing? You really feel it makes sense? Hmmm... It'd be a better betting site or tech start up fundraising site than whatever Wal Mart could ever use it for. Still not strong or worth the money. Ask yourself, please, "if it were up for auction, where would my stopping point be?" $5? $10, maybeeee $15 if I had a few Heinikens? Come on man.....
BetterTech - makes sense
TechBetter - makes no sense

Who knows what Walmart was thinking

At the end of the day they saw value and bought it.

•••

and it doesn't have a "nice ring" to it. A nice ring is a phone call in the middle of the afternoon. This is like a "FaceTime" @ 2:30 in the morning when u have to be up @ 6!

•••
BetterTech - makes sense

Who knows what Walmart was thinking

At the end of the day they saw value and bought it.
Hey brother/sister, @ the end of the day, it was a nice deal. We both now know that we shouldn't invest in Wal mart stock. We both also know, that we need to congratulate MK for masking some dog shit like gold.

•••
BetterTech - makes sense

Because you are too literal.

Better Tech is simply a crappy adjective on Tech. It's no different than BestTech GreatTech AwesomeTech InsertAnyAdjectiveTech
TechBetter is using tech into a verb which so it's positive improvement statement "to tech better". You cannot really have TechAwesomer

TechBetter is also brandable and therefore trademarkable.

I'm not saying I love it but TechBetter is far superior as an advertising line than BetterTech.

•••
Because you are too literal.

Better Tech is simply a crappy adjective on Tech. It's no different than BestTech GreatTech AwesomeTech InsertAnyAdjectiveTech
TechBetter is using tech into a verb which so it's positive improvement statement "to tech better". You cannot really have TechAwesomer

TechBetter is also brandable and therefore trademarkable.

I'm not saying I love it but TechBetter is far superior as an advertising line than BetterTech.
You want the honest truth?

Both are cr@p

•••
If you go to weekly sales chart at DNJournal or go through the sales of brandable marketplaces you would see many names what most of us think are crappy or do not worth that much money but still they were sold for a decent sum. So it depends on what is available in the market, how much time and money they have for choosing a name (because they do not want to waste weeks or months on negotiations so they see BINs as a good option), accessibility and efficiency of the aftermarkets in finding what they are looking for and the most it depends on what is the buyer is seeing in that name as beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

I think its one of the good names with the word "tech" in them, worth at least low to mid xxx$ in the reseller market considering scarcity of good names (with 'tech' in them), wide range of prospective buyers in various industries/businesses and mammoth size of this market in terms of both money and size.

It is good for like "equipping or arming you with a better tech(nology)". At the end of the day it is a way better name than Walmart if you see Walmart just as a brandable name and not as a MNC ;).

•••
Why did Walmart go for TechBetter?

Type-in traffic, keyword volumes??

The price is a steal for them IMO. Perhaps other options were pricier!

•••
It was a great sale! I'm sure he paid $8

Clarification of what MKrell paid for TechBetter.com.

Screenshot_20160808-095646.png

Comment from: http://tldinvestors.com/2016/07/walmart-using-brandbucket-for-domain-acquisitions.html

@michaeljkrell has been MIA from NamePros since June 8th, 2016.

•••
Walmart have put a little website up on it now.. i like the name..

•••
The site looks good. It's a solid brandable name for sure. What makes it great is its versatility, since we can infer a wide range of meanings from it. For example: use technology better, build technology better, combine technology better...

It sounds nice rolling off the tongue. It's short, easy to spell. No uncommon words. Solid name.

And this is inaccurate:

Hmmm... It'd be a better betting site or tech start up fundraising site than whatever Wal Mart could ever use it for.

You're thinking of the word "bettor".

•••
The site looks good. It's a solid brandable name for sure. What makes it great is its versatility, since we can infer a wide range of meanings from it. For example: use technology better, build technology better, combine technology better...

It sounds nice rolling off the tongue. It's short, easy to spell. No uncommon words. Solid name.

And this is inaccurate:

You're thinking of the word "bettor".
You are correct on "bettor". It's still ugly as hell. ANYTHING is versatile if you keep an open mind. Still a terrible name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back