IT.COM

W3 Domains

NameSilo
Watch
As W3 is an acronym for the WWW, what are your thoughts on W3 domains? See my post at:

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=56521

Some of the available domains are as close as you might ever come to the original... and at reg fee, affordable as well!

Comments welcome...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Someone asked for opinions on domains containing "w3" in the appraisals forum.. I think they are a legitimate option. I realize it's a new idea to some but....

In fact, two of my best domains on SEDO in terms of views and traffic are W3 domains...

Let's get some discussion going as to the merits (or lack thereof) of this type domain...

•••
Is this a new extension? :huh?:

•••
Nope.. I personally have used W3 (which is an acronym/slang for "www") as a prefix to HV keywords in my domains. Alot aren't familiar with W3 and understandably resist it's useage.. however, as I point out, two of my best domains on SEDO in terms of views and traffic are W3XX.com's...

I agree that in many cases, a dictionary word would be preferrable to using W3 in combination with another keyword, but often those are already taken...

Many potentially high value W3 domains are still available in .com, such as w3dl.com, w3dvd.com, w3php.com, etc. (see my Available COM post in Expired Domains) These are short, contain a HV keyword, and extremely brandable, IMO.

Just looking for opinions on it's useage..

mole said:
Is this a new extension? :huh?:

•••
I haven't seen W3 hit mainstream spin for a long time except for maybe during the dotcom boom, where everything WWW and its incarnations were like fairy dust, ley. Please correct with if I'm wrong, but even 3G still rings more true.

•••
I thinking we're talking apples and oranges.. 3G would be perfectly acceptable as a wireless or 3rd generation prefix.. W3 would be used in a domain as a prefix to signify the Internet.. unless I'm misunderstanding your drift.

I think the more people use W3, the more accepted it will become.. over 12,000,000 Google for "w3" and over 4000 OVT, btw. Seems like a good prefix for a HV keyword.

mole said:
I haven't seen W3 hit mainstream spin for a long time except for maybe during the dotcom boom, where everything WWW and its incarnations were like fairy dust, ley. Please correct with if I'm wrong, but even 3G still rings more true.

•••
dgridley said:
W3 would be used in a domain as a prefix to signify the Internet.. unless I'm misunderstanding your drift.

err... doesn't www.w3____.com seems like a bit of an overemphasis? If it becomes a marketing spin of sorts, then yes, it may have legs. Just that I haven't seen this in popular literature for a bit now. I do, however, recall seeing this abbrev in the early days of the web.

•••
Maybe... but 1) I rarely type in the "www" anyway, and 2) I tend to think of W3 as a suitable (and short) replacement for "web", "internet", etc.

And, I'm trying to get a "marketing spin" going here, btw.. ;)

We're all about speculation after all... I think W3 is worth taking a chance on...

Thanks for your comments, btw.. hope we hear from more...

mole said:
err... doesn't www.w3____.com seems like a bit of an overemphasis? If it becomes a marketing spin of sorts, then yes, it may have legs.

•••
dgridley said:
Maybe... but 1) We're all about speculation after all... I think W3 is worth taking a chance on...

Yeah, I guess through proper development you could make it fly, ley. It may be the next hip alt for those savvy surfers and culture vultures who have outgrown the www and just like to say "I visit w3( ).com" I agree its a lot more happening term from a audio perspective.

•••
i think it might become the next e()

•••
Well, I'm regging two W3's today.. just haven't decided which ones yet... I have some favorites on the lists I've posted here and some I've held back... ;)

1rrr1 said:
i think it might become the next e()

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back