Domain Empire

information VPN.com LLC has filed a multimillion lawsuit

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
VPN.com LLC has filed a multimillion lawsuit against long time domain investor George Dikian (California), Qiang Du (Hong Kong) and John Doe at the US District Court (California).

The lawsuit involves a $250,000 payment in Bitcoin and $6.625 million in owed commissions on multiple transactions involving 96 premium 2N.com and 3N.com domains.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems like a circus and lawyers are getting paid for the performance.

•••
Tons of cases come up when you sesrch Eitan Zviely.

Well now it makes sense why he was using fake whois info, that dude did some serious cybersquatting...

•••
•••
Most lawsuits settle.

There are some facts which are yet to be determined.

Thus far, one side has filed their complaint. We have not heard what the other side has to say, but I doubt they will be arguing their case on domain blogs.

I have personally seen multiple situations in which a hacker compromised someone’s email address and used it to impersonate the account owner. This is done sometimes without changing anything, but by using automated alerts to monitor the account in order to conduct conversations and delete them from the account, so that the owner is not even aware.

In one case, a domain negotiation lasted for a couple of months, the domain was sold, transferred, and then the owner noticed the domain missing. I represented the purchaser and when the other side said they were hacked, I did not believe it. Eventually, the evidence showed I was wrong, and the account had really been hacked.

It is one thing to have an opinion, a hunch, or a guess. But it is important to be able to recognize when reality fails to live up to expectations. There is nothing as annoying to me as when the facts don’t cooperate with my argument.

My guess is that Dikian was being impersonated by someone with an interesting level of sophistication. My guess is that both sides of the transaction were being run by the same person(s) who were running a con with Gargiulo as the victim.

And, to be clear, Gargiulo is the victim here, regardless of one’s opinion of his “commission structure”. Mike was robbed by people using his energetic pursuit of deals against him. He ignored some red flags and was robbed.

That’s how cons work. Whoever did this seems to have targeted Mike and laid a trap that seems to have been designed for him. My hunch is that the thief knows him.

Compounding the problem is that Mike is understandably furious. People who have been conned often are too embarrassed to do anything. So, kudos to him for coming forward, but his public attacks against Dikian may be misplaced.

It is also worth observing that Gargiulo had no idea where Dikian was or where he could be found. Hence the court authorized service of process by email. If Dikian had committed the crimes of which he is accused, then Dikian would be unlikely to come forward and defend the case. This matter has been reported to at least one police department who also does not know where to find Dikian. But now, by his own choice, he is easy to find. Now, there are a number of things possible, but if I were advising Dikian and he was actually guilty of what Gargiulo has alleged, I would certainly tell him that his risk of arrest and prosecution would increase if he came forward to appear in this civil case.

Could that hunch be rip-roaringly wrong? Absolutely. And it will be interesting to see what develops and how the parties sort this out.

Incidentally, one thing that would be good to understand is that intelligent people are not always right, and people who think they are always right are usually not intelligent.

Both sides have great lawyers. I have had the privilege to work with (and against) Brett Lewis and Mike Rodenbaugh, and I consider both of them to be good friends and able colleagues. So, the most likely outcome in my opinion is that there will come a point at which there are no facts in dispute based on discovery materials obtained from third parties. At that point, Mr. Rodenbaugh and Mr. Lewis, both being exceptionally intelligent men, will advice their clients on the best way to conclude the matter.
In cases like this, can the court decide that the person being hacked is partly to blame because they have been negligent with regards to security? Like when an insurance company won't pay out because the insured person had left a window slightly open when the burglary happened.

•••
Ok, after a sleepless night avoiding a math final, and sleuthing here instead, it appears with the communities help, we may have discovered the identity of George Dikian. If not the identity, I discovered previous litigation against somebody with a lot of internet connections to George Dikian, with believed at least one domain arbitration instance leading a default judgement previously ruled against this domainer. Possibly even their name used in earlier years, unless that too is/was another alias. Some wild stuff!

Seeing how I'm low on sleep, and not thinking straight, I'm not sure what the benefits/purpose of exposing the Dikian alias. The sleuth journey is usually more entertaining than the destination.

TBH, I only really got invested enough to start sleuthing after reading Mr. Garigiulo douchey response to @jberryhill on the OnlineDomain.com article. and getting charged by such a douchey response being spat at sound advice.

1671021273393.png

Mr. Gargiulo was responding to @jberryhill comment below

1671021412335.png

Maybe it's douchey on my end to withhold information like a bridge troll. And perhaps Mr. Garigulo and his lawyers already discovered what appears to be the identity/further connections of George Dikian, assuming that's the point to hiring competent council. But in the event Mr. Garigulo needs some help determining more information on George Dikian, I will be happy to share some found connections if @VPN.com interacts in this thread, and apologizes to @jberryhill for his douchey comment.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back