Dynadot

Video clips and bandwidth?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm looking to change my current host but I'm not clear on bandwidth and how it works. My website has six Windows Media video clips amounting to about 10mb each- 60mb in total, can anyone tell me what amount of bandwidth I need? Say if 100 people visited my site in one month and viewed the six videos how much bandwidth would i need to accommodate these visitors? thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You would need 100 x 60MB = 6000MB. Keep in mind that this doesn't include any pages, graphics, and so on that would also be accessed. That's how it works, though.

•••
CrazyTech said:
You would need 100 x 60MB = 6000MB. Keep in mind that this doesn't include any pages, graphics, and so on that would also be accessed. That's how it works, though.

Denver, I'm curious as to how you arrived at 100 x __mb. It depends on how many times the files are accessed. Is the 100 a safety margin assuming there is not much current traffic?

•••
Denver, I'm curious as to how you arrived at 100 x __mb. It depends on how many times the files are accessed. Is the 100 a safety margin assuming there is not much current traffic?

I'm just using the figures that he gave in this particular case. If you download the file it generally either stays in your temporary folder or ends up saved on your desktop (if you go that route) some multiple viewings wouldn't matter there. However, if you are downloading it at other times, then yes it would take more; ie: say you download it in the first few days of a month and then return towards the end to show your friend. Obviously, this depends on how long your temporary cache is set for.

•••
Are there more database drives sites?

•••
For the editing, I use pretty good service wave.video. It cheap enough and has a great range of features. If you insist on using free editing software, iMovie is probably your best option. Use it on your MacOs or download desktop version for another operating system.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back