NameSilo

Verisign Launches Mother-of-All Typo-Squatting Campaign

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Verisign is laughing all the way to the bank by Typo-Squatting.

Most of us have to buy traffic, or bust our chops for better ranking at SE, and for getting better SERPs.

Verisign has launched today their latest typo-squating program that affects all .net addresses, and will probably do the same for the entire .com name space as well.

If someone mistypes your .net address or types in a .Net address that does not exist, it now resolves to Verisign's website -in stead of generating a 404 error. So if one of your customer mistypes your .Net addresses (as well as .com addresses real soon), they will be now sent to Verisign's typo-squatting-mega-traffic-generating website.

All of a sudden every un-registered .net domain now resolves to Verisign's website. Talk about typo-squatting: iiibmm.net, ibbbmmm.net, yahhhooo.net, yhayoooo.net, they all now point to Verisign.

Don't believe it? Check out how these made-up-names now resolve:

verisign-typo-squatting-really-sucks.net A 64.94.110.11

this-setup-really-sucks.net A 64.94.110.11

this-setup-really-really-sucks.net A 64.94.110.11

this-setup-really-really-really-sucks.net A 64.94.110.11

You get three guesses to tell me what that address points to. Your are right!
11.110.94.64.in-addr.arpa PTR sitefinder-idn.verisign.com

Soon addresses like the following will start resolving to Verisign's new typo-squatting mega site.

http://www.typosquatting-really-sucks.net

They have not even started this for .com addresses, yet their traffic is already out of this world! I will post a link here with stats on Alexa ranking for their Mother-Of-All-Typo-Squatting-Campaign-Site-at-Verisign.com

Stay tuned!

How much would you, I and Joe Public would have pay to acquire this much of traffic? How much does it cost Verisign to do this typo-squatting? Not a red cent.

They don't have to even register these names, just monetize the traffic! No worry about any trademark violations, UDRP, lawsuites, reg fees, nothing! This is professional misconduct & corporate greed at its worst!

This is typo-squating in its worst form, practiced by the very folks who are trusted with the registry, and management of the entire .com/.net name space.

I sure hope ICANN wakes up from its deep coma and takes away .com/.net name space management from these bottom feeders!

>:( D-: :sick: :red: :'( >:(
This affects ALL of us, folks! Think about it!

As I see it, Verisign seems to be clearly abusing its monopoly as a registry for .net/.com namespace.

Do you see lawyers on the horizon? I do.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now FEDs will be watching over Verisign's shoulders

... VeriSign must also allow the FTC to monitor its marketing efforts for the next five years.

Looks like FEDs are finally catching up with these bad boys.

Details are posted here:
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6813

Last edited:
•••
An interesting story on the Verislime typo-squatting at News.com.com.

A special note: The picture you see in that article is that of Karl Auerbach, former ICANN Director, not a mugshot of a Psychopathic Serial Killer! ;-b

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5077530.html?tag=rn

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back