NameSilo

domain vancouverave.com - 160,000 monthly searches

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
"vancouver ave" is a search term with 160,000 searches per month.

This is a newly registered geographical domain that would be valuable to an end user to capture search engine traffic. Estibot values it at $350.

I will appreciate your input. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You should be looking at the exact monthly search results, which is actually only listed as 91 searches per month in adwords. There isn't any Vancouver Avenue that I've ever heard of. Brandable domain is all I can see in it, so you'll have to develop it or find somebody else that really likes the name.

•••
Hi there - thanks for the tips - judging by your sig file - you live nearby? I have family in Bellingham.

Yes I probably will be developing this as a PPC site, doing SEO optimization and flipping it for a much bigger profit than Estibot's $350. And lucky for me I live in Vancouver so I can get out there and easily find an end user to sell it to for a much greater profit as well, if I want to approach it that way.

But can you help me to understand - I'm not a newbie to online business, but am to domaining - in your explanation, you say you only find 91 searches. Whenever I do keyword research for marketing, and want to rank for a keyword, I use google's keyword tool. I don't understand why 160,000 people are searching for Vancouver Ave, but when you search Vancouver in the keyword tool, this comes up as an exact search term. So in other aspects of online business, I would simply take that search result and go ahead and optimize for that keyword in order to rank for it.

And it's got to have some meaning if Estibot appraises it at $350 as opposed to other sites I've tried which appraised at a big fat zero!

But you're saying it only shows up as 91 exact monthly search results and I should be looking there... I don't understand the discrepancy. :)

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

I think I figured out why people are searching for Vancouver Ave and it probably has nothing to do with Vancouver. There are a couple of streets in the states with this name, in Portland, and in Las Vegas... so this is a geographic domain name that could apply to any of these three locations.

It looks like this would be best targeted to Portland, that's probably where the searches are coming from.

Last edited:
•••
It is simply a case of:

"I am looking for someone called Ave in the city of Vancouver who likes dogs and is looking to hook up"

or

"Vancouver Ave"

(Are they looking for "vancouver ave", "beach ave vancouver" or "4th ave vancouver"?)

While the first instance does have your keywords in it, it is not really helpful because it does not show exactly what they are looking for :) It could be anything lol

Same with:

"big game fishing where I can spear a swordfish"

compared with

"big game swordfish"

The exact terms tend to get right to it and tell you how many are looking for the exact thing you are offering.

Hope this helps :)

~~~

By the way, another way to look at it is how many people are searching something very closely related to what you are offering, for instance if you are offering "streetmaps" they may be interested in "guidebooks" or "atlas" too :)

Anyway, as far as valuation goes I don't see this with any potential at all personally...maybe reg fee for someone who really wants it.

Last edited:
•••
The exact terms tend to get right to it and tell you how many are looking for the exact thing you are offering.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks :) 160,000 people are typing 'vancouver ave' which indicates they are looking for info on this street in Portland.

Anyway, as far as valuation goes I don't see this with any potential at all personally...maybe reg fee for someone who really wants it.

Agree to disagree. If I develop it towards Portland, for example, it could be a major listing of what's happening on Vancouver Ave, shopping, directions, etc. And again, Estibot values it at $350 :) because of the search volume, I assume.

Last edited:
•••
In the Google keyword tool, when you do a search for a term/phrase you will see the resulting numbers according to 'broad' searches. Go to the 'broad' drop-down menu and then select 'exact' from it, and that will show you the exact monthly searches for that exact term. Broad is selected by default but it is wildly inaccurate.

Don't feel bad, almost everyone freaks out in happiness upon seeing the broad search results and they go to grab a massive list of domains... only to be shown later that the exact searches for their terms are almost nothing.

Broad simply means that the parts of that term can be found anywhere in other search terms... so 'vancouver ave' can also be found in terms like Vancouver Travel, etc., and all those thousands of other terms are reflected in the keyword tool's broad estimate. Which has exactly zero impact on your term's ACTUAL searches and zero impact on the optimization of your site in the serps.

Don't waste your time developing this name in hopes of that search traffic... exact monthly searches for Vancouver Ave are 91 - which is basically nothing :)

only develop the name if you really, really want to develop out a site branded as 'Vancouver Ave' and if you plan to drive traffic there from other methods and marketing. It won't get any natural traffic due to the term. Even if you get the website on page 1, spot 1 of google for the term Vancouver Ave... if only 91 people are searching for that term monthly, your monetized site ain't even gonna buy you a coffee each month. You'd need to do a huge amount of marketing, link building, etc to get visitors to your site.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Still, if you love the name in spite of its poor search numbers, never know what you can make of it. Has an artsy feel to it, or maybe theater. If you don't love it, then since it's a fresh reg you can ask for a delete and hope to get your money back.

GL

BTW I am in your neck of the woods, eh?

Last edited:
•••
Hi Bannen :) And nice to see someone around here too!

Thanks for spelling this out to me! However, the feedback I'm receiving is really tickling my stubborn bone, and no doubt I'll pause my other projects, throw up a WP blog with great SEO, develop this quickly and sell it to an end user on Flippa (or find someone directly in Portland through other methods), even if just to contradict everyone saying it's worthless! :D I wouldn't delete it or sell it for reg fees - no doubt someone reading this thread would grab it up and do exactly what I've been saying I would do and develop it slightly in order to flip it for a profit :)

But I'm learning something new... all I've been taught about keyword research is flawed?!

But... can someone explain how Estibot values this name so highly? Estibot doesn't just spit out the $350 number for any name :)

Have a look at this other name of mine:

miriammakeba.net

It's a trending topic, South African cultural icon that is searched 260,000 times a month. Estibot values the name at $450. Surely no one will tell me that this is the same situation as vancouverave.com?

•••
Ignore the dollar appraisal amounts on Estibot, everyone else does.

One of my domains has a number of $4,400 on it with actually not a bad name, but that doesn't mean anyone wants it.

Also you will notice that similar sales tend to be going back to the height of the dot.com boom, bubble, bust and the subsequent recovery...

The dollar numbers are simply a way of getting your attention and telling you that it may be an idea to look further into it...I could probably grab any number of random words and hit higher than you with it...doesn't mean they will be worth anything to anyone though lol

•••
Miriam Makeba gets 60,500 exacts according to adwords.

Registering names of famous people is another issue. I stay away from it completely, so I don't know all the ins and outs of those types of domains. It isn't looked upon positively and can have trademark type issues.

Don't give much weight at all to your estibot appraisals.

•••
Thanks guys :) These were the two names I came up with through keywords and trend research, and I'm learning lots here. I'll know to double check the exact results now. And I'm taking Estibot with a few grains of salt, for sure.

It's also good to know the exact searches for Miriam Makeba. I didn't know that registering names is frowned upon. She passed in '08 though. It's another site I'll probably develop to hopefully sell to an end user, this one has more SEO potential for sure.

•••
I do a ton of domain searches daily. Used to have a more active thread here for available domains, now I just post them very occasionally... but if you go to the search bar and type in 'Bannen's Best available dot.com's list' you'll find around 50,000++ availables.

The reason I'm mentioning that is on the list, you'll find many, many available names that get into the thousands of exact monthly searches, and most of the names I post there get an Estibot valuation of the same or higher than yours. It isn't unusual, and a valuation doesn't mean you'll ever be able to sell the name. I come up with roughly 500 - 1000 decent available names each day now. By decent, I mean with a few hundred to a few thousand searches, and with Estibot valuations of $500 and up. Really, there are tons of them. Here, I'll give you a couple from this morning which I won't be regging:
LowProfileBracket.com - estibot $1200 searches 3600
SwingArmMirror.com
foldingTVtrays.com - 1300, and 1600
woodFoldingTable.com - 3000, and 2900
greenNetting.com - 1900, and 720
infuserMug.com - 1400, and 880
landscapingPond.com - 1500, and 480
You get the idea. I have thousands of those availables of that quality of searches/Estibot valuation. *Anyone can reg those above names if you like :)

When you reg a name to sell to someone, you need to ask yourself serious questions - like 'who would buy this, realistically?' and 'how much would anyone - like me - pay for such a name, realistically?', and 'what would anyone do with such a name, realistically?'.

Note that 'realistically' is the prime word here :)
If you gotta start inventing ways to develop the name, and spend hours at it and at trying to convince possible end users what they can use the name for, it isn't going to sell.

There are millions of street name combinations out there... ending in Ave, Avenue, Street, St, Circle, Cle, Place, Pl, Boulevard, Blvd, and dozens of other suffixes. It would be very, very rare for someone to say 'Hey, I live on XXXXX Street... so I'll get XXXXXst.com and develop a site around it!' It's just not realistic thinking unless that street is famous for some reason. And your end user base would not be rich people wanting to throw money at you for the dn and even the website... it would be people who might pay 50 bucks if they absolutely love love love the name for some unknown-to-us reason.

It isn't worthless; like I say, the name has a little artistic flair to it and with a lot of work you might make a tiny amount from it; but since it's being done for profit reasons by you, you need to look hard at your expended energy/cash versus the possible returns.

If you're bound and determined and you spend piles of time and cash on developing this, then it might pay off. Not because the name's particularly good, but because if someone is good at websites and marketing and SEO and has a great creative idea (not one we THINK is great, but one that IS great), ANY site will pay off with a large amount of work. Kind of. Probably. Maybe. If. :)

This isn't a note for or against what you're doing. Just a 'look deeply into your motivations, and what you realistically expect out of all your work, and what you think strangers might think of your site and would they really be interested in paying money for the name'.

Instead of treating it like an undiscovered gem that you polish and then the shininess will make you big money... treat it like a learning experiment. See what happens.

GL :)

Re: the other name - yes, avoid regging other peoples' names at all costs. It's just messy, not nice, often leads to loss of the name or even lawsuits. And avoid trademarked names at all cost as well. Trademark law for domain names has gotten very clear these days. Some get away with it, some lose their names, some get sued. In all cases, it's illegal for you to own a TM name if you don't have that term trademarked yourself. It's playing Russian Roulette to try get away with it. Same with regging peoples' names.

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back