IT.COM

advice Value of .com emoji domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
I don't know anything about these kinds of domains like this one ☁.com . which was sold on flippa for $ 13,600 . Domain is an IDN . How much these kind of domains have value .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't fall for the hype people.
If it looks like a ☁, maybe it is a
poo.png

•••
They seem cool when you look at the symbol, but when you start breaking down the url to .idn charachters, and .ws ending, it is really confusing, and no real consumer will ever be able to relate, between different idn characters, and then add random extensions on top.

Like anything some early people might be able to make some money on it, but most are going to lose money. If it was such a great thing, these guys would be compiling for themselves, not selling you on it. They need you to create a market, so they can sell, and exit.

•••
I'm pretty sure the cloud domain in question was likely a .ws IDN.

The huge factor one needs to remember is that windows keyboards are not emoji friendly .. so a company could/should never use an emoji domain as their main website. They will also run into email issues as they aren't supported everywhere.

Also note that emoji domains are not currently available for .com, and for most main TLD's .. the most common TLD that supports emojis is .ws. Note that I think a small number of .com emoji domains exist and are grandfathered from before emoji .com's were blocked.

So with that being said .. I still do think that emoji domains could have significant value as marketing/forwarding domains. What holds me back is not the emoji part of the domain .. but the .ws .. I'm not against holding ultra-premium keyword .ws domains as they have a relative liquid value (even if it's a small fraction of the equivalent .com).

However the problem here is that emoji domains currently are not available in .com so that is artificially inflating .ws emoji prices because the .ws version is more or less "unique". To hold the only :) or <3 domain is worth something .. but the moment emoji's become available in .com I personally think the relative .ws emoji price will melt.

That being said .. without hesitation, I'd certainly pay $xxx for the most common SINGLE CHARACTER emojis in .ws .. and I'd say common SINGLE EMOJI .com domains will certainly be worth $xxxx and up for the ultra common ones.

One important warning however .. I know emoji's are "evolving" .. the recent standards I think do not includes colour variants .. but I think that is supposed to change .. so emoji that eventually gets multiple skin-tone versions will see their value deteriorate as that domain will bleed traffic to the variant skin-tones.

@DomainSherpa did a show on these domains recently .. I'd highly advice anyone thinking of getting an emoji domain to check out the show BEFORE buying.

In the end I think some cool stuff can be done with emoji domains .. certainly some smart advertising campaigns ... but the lack of emojis on the standard PC keyboard will always hold these back to some degree .. if/when they become available and usable in .com that's when I'd take a 2nd look. Otherwise I'd only be interested in getting ultra common single emoji domains in .ws (I don't own any).

Last edited:
•••
Like anything some early people might be able to make some money on it, but most are going to lose money.
If it was such a great thing, these guys would be compiling for themselves, not selling you on it.

They need you to create a market, so they can sell, and exit.

folks, take note of what @wwwweb said above

particularly the last sentence that i bolded

imo.....

•••
emoji are easy to type on the mobile, the new generation has grown up with it, and a picture will stick in your memory better and looks cool and they are rare, I think it may have some value. one word symbol are nice to have.

•••
I'm pretty sure the cloud domain in question was likely a .ws IDN.

It was indeed .com and not .ws. There were about ~45 .com emojis available back in 2004, as mentioned by Matan on DomainSherpa's show on Emoji's.

The huge factor one needs to remember is that windows keyboards are not emoji friendly .. so a company could/should never use an emoji domain as their main website. They will also run into email issues as they aren't supported everywhere.
You definitely do not use it as a primary domain address, let alone an email address.... They are strongly suited for advertising campaigns. Here are some to get an idea:
coca-cola.png

emoji-billboard.png

Last edited:
•••
I have an emoji domain forwarding to my personal website. Not for monetary profit, just for fun.
People do want these. People probably will really want them with the movie coming out later this year.

•••
•••
If it's one or a hundred, if it sells there is a market. IMO ☁.com for 13k was undervalued. Emoji popularity across the globe is undeniable. Emoji domains with .com extension are extremely rare, only because they can't be hand-registered anymore.

If you can get yourself a 1 character emoji it could be a solid investment, depending on the emoji.

•••
•••
Over 90% of the Online Population use Emojis … approximately 6 Billion Emojis are sent via mobile messaging daily around the world.

Emoji Domains Transcend Language Barriers, are Easy to Remember and are Easy to Share.

Emoji domains will be extremely valuable in the coming years and are growing in value.

One character .ws is taken
two charakter battle is now on ..
Godaddy has a lot of emoji allready in their platform ...

emoji domain is on come ...

•••
Emoji Domains Transcend Language Barriers, are Easy to Remember and are Easy to Share.
They are not easy to remember. It's very easy to confuse similar variants of the same pattern for example:
:roll: :rolleyes: or :-/:guilty:

And they are not easy to type since they are not found on standard keyboards.

Emoji domains will be extremely valuable in the coming years and are growing in value.
Novelty strictly...

And they are not new at all. They are as old as IDNs. Just another domainer-made hype.

•••
The value of an emoji .com domain follows the same rule like a non emoji .com domain:
It has exact the value what the highest bidder is willing to payyy

Last edited:
•••
Letters are vector graphics.
Emojis too.

Every smartphone has a virtual emoji keyboard included!!!
So what is the problem???

Last edited:
•••
•••
I personally don't see much value, unless every keyboard gets a button for each of those.

I don't see them as valuable as collectible either, because of the ugliness of the underlying address of xn--****

quite right in assessing the present, while not blindly looking to the future i think we have chrome plug-ins and a KEYBOARD icon in the bottom right of windows 10 thats i slowly bringing us windows users inot emojis... and if the reports are truly android adds in 2017 hopefully im in front of a rising tide.

good concise comment about the present.

page howe

•••
Hard to type in on a keyboard though.

You can also flip a laptop to tablet mode with WIN 10 and pull up a virtual keyboard with the emoji. I took a screen shot to show you.

keyboard.PNG

•••
Looks like ☁️.com is back on the market based on Media Options tweet today. It'll be interesting to see what it fetches should they close a deal.

•••
Nike did it, 🏀.to Check this !!!

•••
I personally don't see much value, unless every keyboard gets a button for each of those.

I don't see them as valuable as collectible either, because of the ugliness of the underlying address of xn--****

•••
•••
If the next time i go buy a pc and I see one with smiles faces all over the keyboard i am going to have a cursing meltdown and just lose it.

•••
i❤️bitcoin.ws

i❤️poker.ws

i❤️myself.ws

kinda fun...

•••
They are worth a big fat $0, good way to burn your cash registering rubbish.

One's trash is another's treasure . Bottom line for me is, people are purchasing these domains and whatever they like i have to follow that. :xf.smile:

•••
Don't fall for the hype people.
If it looks like a ☁, maybe it is a
poo.png

Update: you can now post 💩 on NamePros. No longer will you have to screenshot a pile of poop, and post as image.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back