Dynadot

Value-adding - Chinese words/phrases in your LLL.....s

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

fuzzy

Established Member
Impact
Hello all,

I've spent half an hour crunching Chinese LLLL.net combos for sale on the NPboards and there are some very nice Chinese phrases (present as pinyin acronyms) among them. (One phrase was a ripper. If only I weren't broke!)

I'll crunch the next 20 Chinese LLL/LLLL's posted to this thread as I find time this evening (Australia) and post my findings back into the thread.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you'd prefer, I am happy to do it by PM. If so, do add a 'PM' message to this thread as well please.

•••
No takers yet? Hmm. Okay I'll provide an example using an LLLL.net that's on NP.

Lets take a look at FMNL.net:

FMNL could be promoted as a pinyin acronym of 'fengmian nulang'. 'Fengmian nulang' in simplified Chinese is 封面女郎.

封面女郎 is used quite commonly as an approximation of the English term 'Covergirl'. (Or phrase 'Cover Girl'). Think "The babe on the cover of Sports Illustrated" for a sense of how the term is employed.

封面女郎 is also used in Chinese advertising for the American cosmetic brand 'Covergirl'.

Try an exact match Google search for "封面女郎". Be sure to check out the image results

So there you go. It seems FMNL.net is the abbreviated Chinese version of Covergirl.net. ;)

•••
Tip. When researching your own Chinese LLL...s be sure to check alternative major extensions for your LLL...s AND the .cn extension for development. And do it early in the piece.I would have saved some time researching FMNL.net had I checked out FMNL.CN earlier than I had.

•••
Tomorrow perhaps. G'nite folks.

•••
•••
Hey there Kassey!

Thank you for the link. I can't read Chinese (unfortunately), so I will have to rely on Google Translate (also unfortunate). It's much easier just to read your blog and posts on NP to find relevant domain news :)

Google Translate is not very good (yet) as you know, so I was surprised to find it offered a correct 'translation' for FMNL. It's quite rarely correct on 4L.

I find Baidu-search is much better than Google-search when researching words and phrases in Chinese (and pinyin). Sogou search is okay too - it clearly shows the total number of search results for the search term provided (as Google does) which is handy.

Last edited:
•••
Wow! It's amazing you can work with Chinese words comfortably. I thought you could read Chinese. In fact, you know more about Chinese search engines than I do. I've never tried Sogou. In what cases you think Sogou is better than Baidu?

•••
Also, if there are topics you like me to write in future blog posts, please let me know. I appreciate your contribution.

•••
In what cases you think Sogou is better than Baidu?
I'm not sure that either is better than the other. Baidu is by far the most popular - I don't know why. It may be that it provides better quality, more comprehensive results. It may be just a matter of good marketing or more user friendly interface. As a non-Mandarin user I am not able to make that assessment - it's all in Chinese!

I'd be interested in your assessment of the major Chinese search engines - perhaps that is something you could discuss in a blog post?

•••
A few further observations regarding Sogou vs. Baidu:
  • For casual reading of articles I always tend to use Baidu (via Google Translate) - I'm not precisely sure why.
  • When I am researching a word or short phrase I always use both Sogou and Baidu - to further validate correct spelling and use of a word
  • When I am researching a word or short phrase I always Sogou first. I have found that Sogou provides 'suggested' results slightly more often (and obviously) than Baidu. When you can't read a language, the sooner you discover there is something unconventional about a search term you are using the better.
  • When I have received 'sufggested' results (form either Sogou or Baidu) it is because my search term was one or more of the following:
    • a poor Google translation (again!)
    • incorrectly spelled pinyin (damn typos)
    • not the preferred Chinese characters for the term I looking for (thank you for the info!)
    • notaword (Doh!)

•••
Thanks for sharing your experience. I use Baidu everyday. It's good enough for my purpose so I just stick with it. I've put your suggestion in my lists of future topics that I may explore. Once again thank you for your contribution.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back