IT.COM

.us Success?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

happy

Established Member
Impact
I was wondering. Has any members developed a .us and had any kind of success?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unfortunately, the strict restrictions on .us have held it back. Because of that, it is not likely to enter CHIP (Chinese Premium) territory.

Also, U.S. citizens tend not to use their own country code.

I HAVE sold some .us, but they had to do with voting, which fits the .us space nicely.

•••
Thank you. I was just wondering if any members had any success in development . I see many .us names selling for close to a grand but my guess is that they were developed.

•••
I just bought fifteen.us here on NP for $1. That is way worse than even .BIZ, which appears to be having a mini resurgence, due to the CHIPS. Agree, that limiting it to people who are US citizens or have a business in US, has hurt this extension. Almost into extinction. Makes my firstname.us look expensive too.

•••
I have a few and think that over time, as more and more non dot com sites are developed, the extension will matter less. However, whenever I get serious about actually putting some work into a site I go looking for an acceptable dot com :(

•••
I would add, its not just the restrictions which have hurt .US. It'd the fact that US citizens have ignored it most of all. It's a shame really because it's a really nice extension for US citizens to have adopted.

•••
I would add, its not just the restrictions which have hurt .US. It'd the fact that US citizens have ignored it most of all. It's a shame really because it's a really nice extension for US citizens to have adopted.
That could change over time.

•••
what about 3d or tv domains doing in .us/

•••
For .us, I recommend top one-word domains; these can still be picked up at Go Daddy auctions, often for BIN prices.

The best time to start looking for these is about the third week in May -- this is when massive expired sales occur on Go Daddy.

For topnotch one-word keywords, you will pay low to mid $XXX for expired auctions at Go Daddy.

3D? Not so much, but it depends on the term itself.

•••
For .us, I recommend top one-word domains; these can still be picked up at Go Daddy auctions, often for BIN prices.

The best time to start looking for these is about the third week in May -- this is when massive expired sales occur on Go Daddy.

For topnotch one-word keywords, you will pay low to mid $XXX for expired auctions at Go Daddy.

what about tv domains?

•••
what about tv domains?

like 3dtv or smarttv in dot us

•••
.TV is a whole different animal; many are premium priced.

You would do best to mosey on over to the .tv threads.

:)

•••
like 3dtv or smarttv in dot us

From what I can gather, 3d hasn't fared that well, even in .com. I have a few 3d .coms, and I have yet gotten a bite.

The technology is great, but some people get sick on the stomach if they watch 3d on the screen.

•••
•••
Most 3d is in theaters.

I haven't seen too many 3d tvs for sale lately, at least on a large scale.

I DID see a refrigerator at Sears that connects to the internet -- not too sure about that either. LOL!

•••
Most 3d is in theaters.

I haven't seen too many 3d tvs for sale lately, at least on a large scale.

I DID see a refrigerator at Sears that connects to the internet -- not too sure about that either. LOL!
:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh::-o:-o

•••
When it comes to trust, not perception but reality, .us has it. Spammers and scammers are more than discouraged from using this .cctld because of its restrictions and whois privacy not allowed. I see that as a plus for endusers. Some People say America is .com only, I say open your eyes dot com is going global as we obviously see from the Chinese taking names we will never see again. A couple years from now you may find yourself regretting your decision not investing in .us because people say it's garbage for blah blah blah reasons. When everyone says it's a good investment then it's probably too late for you to really capitalize on it. I use my own judgement on why I chose to invest in .us. if you want a one word or lll for close to reg prices this is your last chance. As with anything get the best first. Disclaimer: I value names for what benefits it can offer the enduser not for what I can immediately sell it for, And if need be something I can develop myself. I also don't invest more than I can afford to lose. imo:)

•••
I have couple of hundred .us, including

1000, arms, activate, presents, poor, nights, tabloid, supports, returns, manual, auditors, gizmo, leagues, faculty, legislation, earnings, inks, enews, duke etc., plus some LLL, L-L, Geo etc.

•••

1000, arms, activate, presents, poor, nights, tabloid, supports, returns, manual, auditors, gizmo, leagues, faculty, legislation, earnings, inks, enews, duke etc., plus some LLL, L-L, Geo etc.
Me too except for the L-L

Returns.us for tax returns, nice:)

•••
I got only one .us ......SmartTV dot us....i like .us for domain hacks.....but most good ones are gone

•••
Thank you everyone for putting lots of great opinions into this thread! I love .us names for the wonderful relevancy it has in geo targeting. I see people on here get really bummed because they haven't been able to sell there super cool single word .us domains. I agree .us is very limited in the reseller market. Also in my opinion I don't believe product.us domains fit the extension very well (I don't know why I feel this way but I do lol). I believe the absolute best usage (imo) of a .us domain is geo specific targeting. It has always been a dream of mine to own an awesome (and I mean awesome :) ) American geo targeted website! So a not so long while back ago I began taking the first steps for my dream and collected a handfull of available .us geo names. The name had to be personal to me and I live in Colorado and love hanging out downtown Denver. So I chose LoDo.us (lodo is the short term for lower downtown denver, the historical districts with a million stores) . There is some competition to this though, someone built a very nice site utilizing the .org extension for this term, so I will have to get VERY creative lol. Maybe because I'm an American I have some kind of subconscious bias , but I feel .us makes more sense for geo targeting than .org does. I think you get better points with the serps somehow to (could be wrong, and most likely am lol). Anyways, this will be my first attempt at a successful .us name developement. Please feel free to cut my ideas to pieces (I'm always down for that :) )

P.s - my definitions of a "successful" site developement is as follows:

1.) I enjoyed myself (I was happy :)).
2.) The site created enough money to cover name reg fee and hosting. (No money lost)

•••
I got only one .us ......SmartTV dot us....i like .us for domain hacks.....but most good ones are gone
Thank you everyone for putting lots of great opinions into this thread! I love .us names for the wonderful relevancy it has in geo targeting. I see people on here get really bummed because they haven't been able to sell there super cool single word .us domains. I agree .us is very limited in the reseller market. Also in my opinion I don't believe product.us domains fit the extension very well (I don't know why I feel this way but I do lol). I believe the absolute best usage (imo) of a .us domain is geo specific targeting. It has always been a dream of mine to own an awesome (and I mean awesome :) ) American geo targeted website! So a not so long while back ago I began taking the first steps for my dream and collected a handfull of available .us geo names. The name had to be personal to me and I live in Colorado and love hanging out downtown Denver. So I chose LoDo.us (lodo is the short term for lower downtown denver, the historical districts with a million stores) . There is some competition to this though, someone built a very nice site utilizing the .org extension for this term, so I will have to get VERY creative lol. Maybe because I'm an American I have some kind of subconscious bias , but I feel .us makes more sense for geo targeting than .org does. I think you get better points with the serps somehow to (could be wrong, and most likely am lol). Anyways, this will be my first attempt at a successful .us name developement. Please feel free to cut my ideas to pieces (I'm always down for that :) )

P.s - my definitions of a "successful" site developement is as follows:

1.) I enjoyed myself (I was happy :)).
2.) The site created enough money to cover name reg fee and hosting. (No money lost)

My only geo TampaBay.us :)

•••
I drive past a Zoom.us billboard on the highway daily. Seems premature to despair over .us.

•••
I drive past a Zoom.us billboard on the highway daily. Seems premature to despair over .us.
I used to own Zoom.us. Sold it about 4 years ago.

•••
Sold CreditScore.us and CourtRecords.us a few years ago... Not much luck with the other few I held.

It would be nice to see the extension flourish, but it is/was poorly managed and will likely never get off of the ground.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back