Dynadot

.us .us name with 508,000 Overture hits

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am thinking about making my first domain name purchase and the one on my list that sticks out is a 2 word name with 14 characters. When exactly spelled into Overture gives 508,000 hits for the month of July and when put into quotes in Google gives me 300,000 results. The extensions available are .us, .biz, and .info.

It's a retail/ consumer product name so would .biz be the best? Can I resell a .biz without development? What is the worth of a keyword domain with popularity such as this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
moved from Domain Appraisals to Domain Discussions

IMO, the .biz would be best in this case. Without knowing more about your domain, I doubt very much if anyone can give you an estimate of how much the domain can be sold for.

•••
Sounds like there could be potential TM issues here. I'm also figuring that the Overture results is just for the two-word comb, not the two-word combo plus extention.

•••
armstrong said:
moved from Domain Appraisals to Domain Discussions

IMO, the .biz would be best in this case. Without knowing more about your domain, I doubt very much if anyone can give you an estimate of how much the domain can be sold for.

Agree that there's simply not enough information here to truly and accurately help you out, IMHO. Any of the extensions could work, depending on the actual domain name. :blink:

508K at OVT (search requests, not "hits") is a pretty big number, are you sure it's the exact same as your domain name ... I mean, what do you mean by "two words" and "exactly spelled into ... "?
Trying to assist as best we can here.
Thanks and Welcome to Namepros! :talk:
:wave:

•••
I would also recommend you to check the Wordtracker stats first.
Overture can be a bit far off target sometimes..

http://www.DigitalPoint/tools/suggestion/

•••
Wordtracker- I did it.

Came back with 89 searches per day. I have never used this tool so how does this number rank? It says overture has 17,836 searches per day.

The 2-word product domain name is exactly spelled and the domain name is very general so there can't be any TM issues. Hopes this helps determining if this is a winner or not. Really looking forward to my first purchase!

•••
For ~ $8.95, give it a shot IMHO! :tu:

See it in the "Appraisals Forum" after you register it! :lala:

Best of Luck.
:wave:

•••
Overture numbers can be a bit strange sometimes.
Overture doesn't distinguish between singular and plural searches either, so I don't thrust those results at all..

wordtracker is much more reliable IMO.

Do a search for wordtracker and oveture here on NP, there's a couple of good threads about the difference here somewhere.

•••
Came back with 89 searches per day. I have never used this tool so how does this number rank? It says overture has 17,836 searches per day.

Ooh. You are not reading the OV results as daily, and then multiplying out to get a monthly figure, are you? OV gives total search requests for a 1 month period.

BTW, it might also help you to know that a rough (but fairly accurate) way of determining the search requests on *all* search engines, is to multiply the OV requests x 10.:gl:

Last edited:
•••
The keyword suggestion tool gives daily Overture and Wordtracker stats..

http://www.DigitalPoint/tools/suggestion/

•••
Sorry. My bad. Was relying on memory, and shouldn't be talking about something I haven't used for awhile. :red: :guilty:
Just seems likes the OV daily figure x 30 comes out close to the 508,000 figure that he alluded to, and that this might have explained the large discrepency between OV and WT stats.

Last edited:
•••
ok. Here are the stats:

508,000 Monthly Overture searches
2,670 Monthly Wordtracker searches
291,000 Google results

2 words- 14 characters long
exactly spelled
general retail product
.us .biz available (and lower extensions, too)

any ideas for resale value with no development?

Is there a reliable source on this forum who I can PM for a value assessment?

•••
Looks to be that the OV stats are bogus, which was one of the possibilities already mentioned. It also looks like the monthly results were somehow mistakenly computed in and used as the daily results to come up w/ the final 508 M figure. Although I have seen terms that have more searches than Google links, never by this large of a margin. Somethings appears to be rotten in Denmark.

•••
You can PM me the name.

I promise that I wont register it or reveal what it is.

•••
i say go for it... if it's a .us it costs $5, .biz... what.. $7? go for it!

•••
The overture stats didn't make any sense at all.
#2 on the list had only 22 searches pr day, but the two words had 16,700+.
Looks like there's a glitch in the Overture results for that one...

•••
If I were you I'd pick up both... and if it's as good as you say it is, it will not be available for too much longer. There is no "waiting" in the domain name game! You snooze you lose! Grab it quick, and then bring it to the appraisal forum.

Much Success-
Jennifer

•••
Hard to tell, but if it's that good, both are the way to go. Although personally, I've found .biz is not ever the way to go by itself.

•••
Anthony said:
Although personally, I've found .biz is not ever the way to go by itself.

I agree. The majority of resellers here don't understand B2B. :sold:

•••
No use, IMO, until u develop it or promote it

•••
:bah:

IMO - if this is your FIRST investment domain - forget it.

Try to find a good dot com - at the very least you could expect to get your money back before it expires.

susi

•••
If your plans are for developement, go for it. Reg fee is not a big loss and it should not matter what others think. If your intended purchase is for resale, go with your gut instinct. .biz .us & .info are not the best extensions for 2 words where as in the .com tend to be more flexible. The majority of those newer extensions you mentioned do best as single keywords at wholesael or retail.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back