Dynadot

.us .US domain registrations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys.

Can a non-US resident registers a .US domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Prosperous said:
How do you get away with that? To reg a .ca I have to be a Canadian citizen and I just spoke with Pool about the .eu extention and they said I would have to have a European addy.... :td:

•••
its nothing, if you can't register the domain then tell me i will register for you if you pay me i am from US.

•••
No
http://www.nic.us/policies/docs/ustld_nexus_requirements.pdf

You can, of course, but that doesn't mean it's legit.

Same way I can sue you for not reading a few more posts to see this question has been asked a few million times.

Doesn't mean I'll win.

Anyone CAN register them. And anyone CAN achieve the nexus requirement. But if you aren't a resident and you don't have a US business, chances are that you would lose the name should someone dispute.

•••
If you can show you have a US territory-based address, yes.

•••
OvenMitt said:
You can, of course, but that doesn't mean it's legit.
Indeed. (And) he didn't ask if it was legit, he asked if a non-US resident can reg a .US.

•••
yes you can, I've done it a gazillion times and it works like a charm :)

•••
Im aware that many non-US citizens are holding .us domains. I'm just afraid that my domain will be suspended when my WHOIS shows an address which is out of USA.

Godaddy said:
Thank you for contacting customer support.

Having your website hosted on US servers does not qualify you to register a .US domain name. You have to be a citizen of the United States to purchase one. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

•••
Yes.
i asked the same questiion and got negativ answer.
DO you feel nice if you are holding a dot US?
LOL

•••
Yes of course. are you from US?

•••
For my experience, so far I am unlucky to get one of my .us unregistered due to I could not supply any evidence to use my .us as a US Resident, but as soon as they delete it, I re-register it again.

And for the 7 months I didn't recieve any complain from the registry.

•••
Where did you registered the .us domain which was deleted?

•••
DirectNIC, and the domain is now happily staying in Godaddy.

•••
It's kind of sad but I think .ca is the only extension that is actually even semi-policed these days. There isn't much incentive for them to police.

One interesting thing, however, is that (from what I've gathered) should any of these names become valuable, and someone disputes your ability to register the domain name in the past (IOW, they say at the time you weren't a resident and didn't meet nexus requirements) then you have to show that at the time you registered the domain, you met the requirements somehow.

In any event, I still hope that .us is policed, if for no other reason than it helps the extension "mean something", a sure-fire way to increase it's value.

-Allan

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back