Dynadot

Updating Whois Info at GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is it possible to update the whois info of domains registered at GoDaddy without getting slapped with a 60 day hold? These are basically cosmetic changes replacing old (bad) info with correct info. There is no change of ownership. They will remain in my account after the change. But I just don't want to be stuck with domains I cannot transfer out for another 60 days.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doing it without the automatic lock taking effect is impossible to my knowledge. However, Security team at GD might be able to unlock it for transfer-out. Wait for others here what they say or simply chat/call GD and ask about this.

•••
last time i update whois data, there is optional to lock or unlock

•••
•••
Is it possible to update the whois info of domains registered at GoDaddy without getting slapped with a 60 day hold? These are basically cosmetic changes replacing old (bad) info with correct info. There is no change of ownership. They will remain in my account after the change. But I just don't want to be stuck with domains I cannot transfer out for another 60 days.
Haven't done this in a long while, but I was always able to unlock such domains afterwards by emailing GD at review60 (at) godaddy.com.

•••
•••
OK. I managed to edit my settings for all future domain whois settings. One thing I found a tad annoying is there are 4 different settings where you can put your contact details.

Manage Domain Profiles
Domain Defaults
Account Settings
Contact Preferences

It was quite difficult to get all these line up. The one that threw me the most was in the Domain Defaults - Organization (there is the notes here that this was used to be used for your Business Name, which would be the the LEGAL owner of the domain). so I obviously put my company name there. GoDaddy could have helped if they'd had the same number of boxes for each of these 4 forms, in the same order.

I have no idea how the Manage Domain Profiles affects the Domain Defaults. Because these were totally defined by me. And there was not the warning notes that the organization will be the legal owner of the domain. It all seems a bit sloppy. To me.

The Account Settings was clear enough. These are the account details. No problem to fill in. The only time I used my personal name and company name as the organization.

The Contact Preferences was also a problem. I don't want GoDaddy's Auto Robot calling me, and running up my services phone bill. And I almost could not figure out any way to stop this. Because they kept taking this number from my Account Settings. I think, in the end, it probably took me having to blank out the phone number in my Account Settings, to stop this from taking this number and having their Auto Robot calling my phone service.

OK. In summary. I think these 4 settings are probably in the best shape they have ever been :) I think I should probably delete the Manage Domain Profiles, because they seem surplus to the requirements to Domain Defaults. And I am all set, going forwards from here. But I don't think any of these settings affect the domains already in my account. Which would be OK with me, because they will eventually all get transferred out. Problem Solved (for the future domains).

Last edited:
•••
Yep. I deleted Manage Domain Profiles. 1 less field to worry about in the future :) The way I used GoDaddy over the years, has changed, and these sub-profiles were no longer necessary. Phew!

Last edited:
•••
Thanks. Unfortunately that was dealing with a push. Not changing the whois info for all the domains in my account.
I don't know why the thread started where it did but if you scroll to the very first post it answers the question of if it was possible to change the whois info in Godaddy without getting hit with a 60 day lock.
But yes there was talk about a push also in the thread.

I had updated an email address for the whois info on one of my names and Godaddy sent me an email with the option to lock or not lock. I chose not lock and it worked.

Anyways, looks like you got it figure out.
Glad to see you did.:xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back