IT.COM

GoDaddy locked domain name for 60 days because of changing Whois?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Key

Established Member
Impact
I recently won a domain name in auction on namepros.. It's a 15 years old domain and was pushed to my godaddy account but seller didn't ask to change details while pushing. So i changed WHOIS details by myself and now i want to transfer it to namesilo but godaddy denied my transfer request and gave this reason.
Godaddy said:
The transfer you requested has been declined because you opted-in to a transfer lock for 60 days when you agreed to the GoDaddy Change of Registrant policy.

For security reasons, when you change the registrant's first name, last name, or organization name, you consent to a 60 day lock on transferring the domain name. Because you have provided your consent, Section 3(6) of the ICANN Policy on Transfer of Registration between Registrars permits us to decline your transfer request.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/policy-2012-03-07-en

If you feel the lock was initiated in error, you may contact [email protected] to request a review.

Regards,
GoDaddy Domain Services

While namesilo sent me this link about how to handle this issue.
https://www.namesilo.com/Support/How-to-Handle-Rejected-Transfers

Which have a special note for godaddy rejections.:
Namesilo said:
If you are transferring from Godaddy please make sure not to update the Registrant contact associated with your domain prior to transfer. Doing so will create a 60-day lock implemented by Godaddy. We make special note of this issue since it impacts a large number of our customers who have run into trouble. We view this policy as a violation of ICANN rules and have corresponded with Godaddy in hopes that they would abolish the practice, but, as of this writing, the policy is still in place. ICANN even issued a special advisory (See Point 2) reminding registrars that a change to registrant WHOIS information as not being a valid basis for rejecting transfers. Unfortunately, Godaddy still does reject transfers when registrant WHOIS data is updated. If this happens to you, we encourage you to email both [email protected] and[email protected] to request that they lift the lock on your domain.

I just got off from chat with godaddy rep and she says that we can't do anything. It's locked by ICANN.. I told them it's not newly registered domain. It was pushed to my account and i changed whois info which is not a valid reason to deny request, but she said the same, it's not in our hand and we can't do anything. Godaddy renewal price is ridiculous. $17.17 for one year renewal and she said, we can't help with that either.

My question is, does pushing a domain to another account make it locked for 60 days? or is it because of changing whois info? If it's because of WHOIS then why godaddy rep is saying that it's not in our hand and it's permanently locked by ICANN.. Is this kind of new ploy to get that high renewal fee?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Ok, probably got the wrong end of the stick....:-D

•••
Call Godaddy again and ask for a discount on the renewal after you explain the situation and ask to speak to their manager if they say they can't help you.

•••
My question is, does pushing a domain to another account make it locked for 60 days? or is it because of changing whois info? If it's because of WHOIS then why godaddy rep is saying that it's not in our hand and it's permanently locked by ICANN.. Is this kind of new ploy to get that high renewal fee?

An ICANN 60 day lock only applies in the following (2) situations -

1.) The domain was registered in the last 60 days.
2.) The domain was transferred to a new registrar in the last 60 days.

Outside those two situations, any (60) day lock is a registrar policy. GoDaddy is well know for instituting their own (60) day lock when certain WHOIS information is changed. They will probably say this is related to security issues.

I believe you can email - [email protected] and ask for the lock to be removed.

Brad

•••
NameSilo is right; the ICANN lock is supposed to only apply to new registrations and inter-registrar transfers, but GoDaddy has implemented their own policy to protect against hijacking in spite of this. If you change the WHOIS name on any name at GoDaddy, it gets locked for 60 days by GoDaddy's internal system (NOT by ICANN) -- even if you are the original registrant and it never left your account.

•••
Call Godaddy again and ask for a discount on the renewal after you explain the situation and ask to speak to their manager if they say they can't help you.
I'm outside US and there is no direct line for my country.. Calling via phone not an option for me..

Those 2 situations are not met.. I guess sending email is the last resort.. I just sent an email. I hope this will resolve it.

NameSilo is right; the ICANN lock is supposed to only apply to new registrations and inter-registrar transfers, but GoDaddy has implemented their own policy to protect against hijacking in spite of this. If you change the WHOIS name on any name at GoDaddy, it gets locked for 60 days by GoDaddy's internal system (NOT by ICANN) -- even if you are the original registrant and it never left your account.
You're right.. and i'm surprised why godaddy support is lying about it. These are the exact words of godaddy support rep.

"the process that we are following is set by ICANN. In this case, unlocking is not really something we can do on our end."

I sent them a DM on twitter yesterday but didn't get back a reply. Also i posted topic on godaddy community which got deleted. Instead of coming clean, they're trying to hide it and wasting customer time as well as want to extort money with that higher renewal fee.. The proper way is to explain this security feature, ask for some kind of verification and help the customer unlock it.. imo.

•••
This is standard procedure for GoDaddy. probably even a lawsuit won't change their ToS. You'll have to wait out the 60 days now. You could get it changed back as @bmugford suggested. Then change only the email address. Nothing else. That's your only chance. IMHO review60 are hard to deal with.

•••
Thanks to @bmugford and @DanSanchez for the help.. It was fairly simple. I sent an email to review60. Received a reply with-in a day. I sent another message with "i agree" and then waited one more day for lock to be open. Everything is fine now.

•••
Welcome to Godaddy.. you can checkout anytime you like but you can never leave.

•••
Thanks to @bmugford and @DanSanchez for the help.. It was fairly simple. I sent an email to review60. Received a reply with-in a day. I sent another message with "i agree" and then waited one more day for lock to be open. Everything is fine now.

That's great. Good News. When I tried that I was denied. What did you say in your email? Remember, if you only change the email address, the 60 day hold isn't applied :)

•••
That's great. Good News. When I tried that I was denied. What did you say in your email? Remember, if you only change the email address, the 60 day hold isn't applied :)
I told them that i purchased this domain from a godaddy user, but seller didn't ask to change details while pushing to my account. So i changed WHOIS details by myself and now i want to transfer it to other registerer but my transfer request was denied. I need help with unlocking this domain.. They replied with this..

review60 said:
It looks like you made an update to the registrant. You may or may not recall that when you did this, you checked a box consenting to a 60 day hijacking protection lock. Don’t worry, although we are sad to see you go, we are happy to help you get the lock removed for wallunits.net.

To proceed, simply reply to this email with "I agree" to consent to the following terms (yes, we take your security very seriously):

And then there was some terms.. I simply replied with i agree an it got solved.

•••
I told them that i purchased this domain from a godaddy user, but seller didn't ask to change details while pushing to my account. So i changed WHOIS details by myself and now i want to transfer it to other registerer but my transfer request was denied. I need help with unlocking this domain.. They replied with this..

And then there was some terms.. I simply replied with i agree an it got solved.

wow. that's a lot easier than my responses in the past. maybe 3+ years ago. I just got the runaround. I'll give them a try, next time I need this.

•••
Yes, only way to deal with this situation in FUTURE is by not changing the registrant information by the seller during the time of push.

So, if buyer wants to transfer out from godaddy, they need to clearly ask the seller to keep the original WHOIS details while providing customer and email id for push AND do not change WHOIS information yourself as well after receiving it.

•••
I've had this situation before.
It's an internal Godaddy "security" policy and in no way ICANN. (except new regs for the first 60 days)

The only time they don't add the Godaddy-only 60 day lock when you change whois info is when (If I'm not mistaken) it's ONLY the Admin email address that you're changing.
I was re-branding and wanted to change some contact email addresses and they told me if you do .. all those names for 60 days are locked at Godaddy, but if you change only the admin email, there's no extra lock.

•••
If I change the Who is to private and I sell the domain, am I able to push it to another Go Daddy account within the 60 days?

•••
If I change the Who is to private and I sell the domain, am I able to push it to another Go Daddy account within the 60 days?

Yes.

GoDaddy's 60 Day Lock only effects transfers between registrars. You can still push to another GoDaddy account.

Brad

•••
Thanks for clearing that up Brad

•••
This ICANN policy update went into effect on August 1, 2016:
ICANN said:
Transfer Policy Implementation Update

The new policy requirements include:

5. Registrars must impose a 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock following a Change of Registrant but registrars may allow registered name holders to opt out of the lock prior to any Change of Registrant request.
Source: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-24-en

Last edited:
•••
I made payment with a friend's debit card due to mine having limits on it. my account was then locked by godaddy on the account of veriafication, I uploaded the required document but to no avail rather they cancelled my order, so what do I do now. Thanks.

•••
Save your money until you can afford to pay with your own funds

•••
I made payment with a friend's debit card due to mine having limits on it. my account was then locked by godaddy on the account of veriafication, I uploaded the required document but to no avail rather they cancelled my order, so what do I do now. Thanks.

Register the domain somewhere else?

•••
An ICANN 60 day lock only applies in the following (2) situations -

Outside those two situations, any (60) day lock is a registrar policy. GoDaddy is well know for instituting their own (60) day lock when certain WHOIS information is changed. They will probably say this is related to security issues.

I believe you can email - [email protected] and ask for the lock to be removed.

Brad

Dont give in the BS that the support staff at Godaddy tells, just email them at [email protected] mention that its internal transfer and locking the names and rejecting transfer is against the ICANN rules.

Worked like a charm just saved over $70 in renewals by taking the names to Uniregistry instead of paying $16 a pop at godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back