Dynadot

Unlock domain through API

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

David Torreggiani

Established Member
Impact
Quick question that i cannot seem to answer even after an hour googling.
Is there any API that lets you programmatically unlock a domain, thus obtaining the EPP code?

Thanks y'all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question :xf.smile:

Not many do so, but some registrars offer domain management via API (e.g. Epik, Dynadot, Namesilo), which differs from registrar to registrar. Best to check at the source, with each registrar separately, by opening a free account and combing through their API docs or talking to support.

•••
I checked GoDaddy but you could only do a TransferIn via API.

•••
As the previous poster said, it depends on the registrar.

Though, this is possible at Godaddy. You can lock/unlock your domains and also see the authcode (which are two totally independent functions - authcode always is the same, no matter if the domain is (transfer)locked or not).
Some registrars force you to unlock the domain in some kind before they show you the authcode, but this is technically not needed.

At Namesilo you can unlock the domain via API, but they don't show the authcode (there is a API function you can trigger to send the authcode via email)
At Dynadot (by far the worst API imho) you can't do either or.

•••
Though, this is possible at Godaddy.

Reply from GoDaddy just now:
"If you wanted to have the unlock code, this can't be done through the API. As this code can only be obtained directly through the domain."

Sad...

•••
•••
Just out of interest why is it that you want that versus the normal email route? Is it to make it easier to automate transfer of large portfolio?
Bob

•••
@Bob Hawkes I am building a website where i (and in the future other users) will be able to sell domains at a reseller price and offer detailed customized searches for expiring domains.

https://domdropped.com

As far as automation after a sale it would be cool to have the unlock code emailed automatically.

•••
I think for the registrars with APIs this could be done with some work.

•••
Care to elaborate?
But it would have to be different methods for registrar. It could be easily done if they sent the code via email.

•••
•••
Back