IT.COM

news United.Domains now forwards to united-domains.de

NameSilo
Watch

TopShelf Domains

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like United .domains better. They have extended the URL and included a - in the middle.

I don't like a - unless it's a n-n or l-l, or something like t-v. JMO

But ya know anything works if you have the funding to promote it.. :D

•••
United domains always had the .de domain. People are used to it, it's part of the brand.

Now they have united.domains. What should they do?

1. Resolving both domains top the same website -> duplicate content, bad for search engines
2. Forwarding the .de domain to the new one -> People would be confused about the reason, thinking it would be a new owner of a hijiacked website. And their stored credentials would be lost as well.

So, the only realistic choice is to forward the new domain to the existing one. That's what all sane people do when they get a new matching domain.

They still have the option to switch to the .domains url, but rather when they eventually relaunch their site anyway, or when something else really important changes. But you should never change your accepted domain to a new one without a very good reason.

Last edited:
•••
Oh I see they always had the .de. Well the other is just for brand protection which happens a lot with the new gTLDS. Although Ya never know they might want to shorten the URL and move to the new gTLD in the future.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back