Dynadot

Uniregistry parking landers have no SSL?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Some weeks ago I noticed that my landing pages at Uniregistry weren't working, but I have been so busy that I just pointed most names elsewhere (as I should have done long ago). I did report this but they told me they knew of no problem.
Today I decided to check out what was going on and found out my main PC was blocking the landers because they have no SSL certificate at all. Even if you try to manually insert https it will not work.
Lost parking revenue, lost leads, lost everything... I don't know for how long.

Attachments

• uniregistry-nossl.png
    uniregistry-nossl.png
    744.3 KB · Views: 67
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Setting SSL to all domains parked gets expensive so what parking companies usually do is, they set SSL only on domains that are worthy (ie. high traffic, revenue, etc. ) while leaving the rest to non-SSL landers.

I'm not sure if Uni follow that approach but that's what the other companies I know of do (eg. Bodis, ParkingCrew)

If your main intention is to sell those domains, I would strongly advise you set them to a for-sale lander.

•••
It's a mix, my names used to provide 4 figures every month on parking revenue before it dropped a lot years ago. Since then the money is so little that I couldn't even focus on that.
I just found this out because I'm finally moving on from parking pages (took me years), what a waste of quality traffic has been.
PS. I have given SSL to hundreds of domains at the same cost, with my own system, works fine but I wasn't monetizing my pages (just had my contact).

Last edited:
•••
I'm pretty positive that, even the lower revenue (or no-revenue) domains get a certificate if the traffic is high enough.

However,
you might want to try other parking companies for the domains you dedicate to parking as I'm not sure whether Uni follows the approach I mentioned earlier.

Personally, I use Uni's NS for all domains that are dedicated to selling *using only their sales landers* and I use a dedicated parking company (Bodis, PC, Sedo) for all domains that are dedicated to parking.

If I want to sell any of the ad-parked domains, I just add that domain to my Uni account and point the lander sales-banner to Uni's sales page.

•••
But will they put an SSL certificate on those sales pages? Because without it more and more people will just see an empty error page.

•••
Sorry I omitted that.

What happens with the sales pages is that, you get a redirection to a 'path', ie. something like https://uniregistry.com/market/domain/exampledomain.com
that -obviously- always has a certificate

That redirection works very well, not only in that the visitor never gets a 'this website is not secure' etc., it also makes the domain appear in searches (contrary to the ad-parked domains that get *huge* penalties in seo with many not appearing at all in searches).

•••
I see, they don't even stay on the domain anymore. Your explanation was very helpful, thank you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back