NameSilo

Unique Innovation or Bad Idea?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was wondering about the legality, as well as, the feasibility of selling a domain w/ a resale contingency contract attached to the sale. ie Should the rights of the domain be sold within XX years, (or, as an alternative, for the life of the domain), Seller shall receive XX% of gross proceeds of the sale. Although I can't see myself using a convention like this very often, I have run into some situations where this would be a plausible tact to explore.

Buyers resistance might terminate the negotiations but, than again, a device like this could help speed up things along - From a negotiating angle, attaching a contract to the sale would, definitely, need to be applied selectively. Something would need to be written up in the event that the name gets close to it's expiration date, but that's a seperate matter.

Legal issues? Precedents? Inforcement and Collection Issues? Just a, generally, bad idea or unrealistic mind exercise?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Grrilla...I personally believe that will be the "next big thing" for domains in the future...

Here's an article on GigaLaw.com (kinda similar to what your refering to):
There's other articles more in depth (see search on left side)

The Advantages of Licensing (Not Selling) Domain Names
By Jonathan Bick

http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2000-all/bick-2000-12-all.html

I haven't done it yet but have thought about it....www.licenseyourdomain.com not fully layed out yet...but working on it...along the same line of thought as what you have laid out....

OldRatRacer

•••
mmm, I have read this idea of leasing DN's a few times in the past months now, and I remember a NP member who proposed a new business idea few month ago in the business forum (with not bad response) about lease domains.
At the time I judget almost bizarre the idea of lease a domain, since it is so easy to reg one. But I was wrong.
It is a cool idea and can see the fundament of a solid business behind it, and if it will become a new business of cousrse some contractual agrement between the licensee and the licensor must be issued.

Another good point Grrrilla
;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back