Dynadot

Understanding the Structure of the Domain Industry (1 - 5)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
Section I

We see so many discussions about extensions. Which TLD is the best or which one is better and such.

I think people who raise these questions are focusing on the wrong point. Domain Investors are not selling extensions, we are selling domains, anything on the right & left of the dot should be our concern.

I understand why this is happening. Each investor have a different path while creating their portfolio. Some are heavily invested on a single TLD and expect profit on the extension they invested.

It is true that the extension matters, you need to understand each TLD`s position in the market and the trends for their end usage.

Take .Org and .Net as an example.

Most non-profit organizations prefer to have a website on .Org while very few prefer .Com

.Net makes perfect sense with tech companies yet the diversity of tech company websites might be totally different. .Com in this case is the most used TLD, and .IO is gaining popularity lately for this niche.

What about new gTLDs? There are so many extensions on new G`s and each TLD has their own niche or Not(.xyz)

There are new websites coming online with these extensions everyday. But personally, there are so many TLDs and investment patterns that I won`t apply while registering a new gTLD.

Again what is important is the domain name not the extension alone.

Section II

Another common mistake on domain investment and another disaster...

Please do not register a domain where you have no knowledge on that particular industry.

Crypto Currency Broker? Canadian Bourbon? These type of combinations are ridiculous.

Section III

Another threat for domain industry is Bitcoin and all the other 1000 crypto currencies, where the Market Cap is $153,523,996,593 as of today.

This is another speculative industry for investors and each day impatient domainers shifting from domaining to crypto currencies. As a result domain sales decrease.

Section IV

Another suggestion, do not take account on the sales reports that are not specifying the sale price or the domain itself. ($XXXX & 5 figure sale) Most of these reports are fake and pathetic.

Who make this reports can not even price their domains properly that`s why there is no specific sale price on this type of reports.

Don`t get fooled folks, don`t get fooled. This is a digital platform, most people are not using their identity at all.

Section V

Finally, what makes a domain a good domain is the capital it is raising annually .

The sale price doesn`t really matters.

See previous sales reports over $1 Million and go visit the websites to see if they are active or not, generating money or not.

Some of them are not active at all, so is it really the sale price that makes a domain a good domain?

Remember the sale price is an investment for the buyer and ROI is the key what we should be looking for.

Feel free to make a contribution or comment for any of the sections listed above.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People still do not understand.

•••
i like some of what you posted

at least i can see that you're not wearing those rose colored glasses with the bifocal lenses, that they be passing around.

:)

imo...

•••
•••
You need to add that with some of the new gTld's the renewal fees are unknown and unstable and changing like the wind. The registries themselves reserve the best names for their own rightful investment like the recent .ART and .FUN. Most end users have no clue about .whatevers unlike legacy extensions, even .us and .biz have little value so when any newer ones will, who knows and time will tell. I like Big.Top though. Lol. Wish I owned that for reg fee. Look at what happened to Travel . Agency, No end user sale like why doesnt Thomas Cook buy it?

•••
You need to add that with some of the new gTld's the renewal fees are unknown and unstable and changing like the wind. The registries themselves reserve the best names for their own rightful investment like the recent .ART and .FUN. Most end users have no clue about .whatevers unlike legacy extensions, even .us and .biz have little value so when any newer ones will, who knows and time will tell. I like Big.Top though. Lol. Wish I owned that for reg fee. Look at what happened to Travel . Agency, No end user sale like why doesnt Thomas Cook buy it?

I think it is wrong to generalize it for the whole new gTLD industry.

You are talking about Uniregistry`s price increase, but Major markets like Godaddy banned their extensions to protect new gTLD investors. No major increases happened after GoDaddy`s move.

Plus we are talking about Uniregistry`s gTLDs, C`mon .Horse Really? :xf.smile:

Your points are right about .Art - and other Registries that reserve their finest assets.

That sucks, but can`t blame them. They are willing to make the profit that a domainer supposed to do.

Travel.Agency sounds good but I don`t think this is the right keyword to monetize the service they would provide.

Do you google travel agency when you plan your vacation? I don`t think so.

But its sale history is Very interesting and I raised questions about Liability of these reports. It was redirecting to sdsdsdsdsdd.com kind of domain and currently it is on auction at Flippa again.

Last edited:
•••
•••
You are talking about Uniregistry`s price increase
Travel.Agency sounds good but I don`t think this is the right keyword to monetize the service they would provide.
Do you google travel agency when you plan your vacation? I don`t think so.

.TV has all sorts of crazy renewal prices fyi too. I am sure there are other extensions. Some have initial buy in prices, that renewal is less, don't remember which.

Someone MIGHT go ogle "Travel agency near me", therefore if someone bought the name they could long tail the SEO to travel agencies all over to specific locations like I suggested- some huge company like Thomas Cook.
Are you familar with them? If a 7 billion dollar revenue company with offices and planes, etc. and they are not interested in it for only 10K, then I would be worried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/ Thomas_Cook_Group

•••
.TV has all sorts of crazy renewal prices fyi too. I am sure there are other extensions. Some have initial buy in prices, that renewal is less, don't remember which.

Someone MIGHT go ogle "Travel agency near me", therefore if someone bought the name they could long tail the SEO to travel agencies all over to specific locations like I suggested- some huge company like Thomas Cook.
Are you familar with them? If a 7 billion dollar revenue company with offices and planes, etc. and they are not interested in it for only 10K, then I would be worried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/ Thomas_Cook_Group

.TV is not a new gTLD - It is ccTLD

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back