IT.COM

Two-letter .com domain question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm looking at purchasing a two character .com domain from an individual (for example: a3.com) for my business. I have a question about it before I make the purchase though.

I read that certain .com domains will be reserved after they expire at this location:
http://res-dom.iana.org/

The document clearly indicates two character .com domains like the one I am interested in will be reserved. The document states: "These names are reserved from initial registration, but to the extent they are already registered the existing registrant may renew them."

That means when I read it that only the existing registrant (i.e. the current owner of the domain) can renew the domain. Does that mean if I purchase the domain from the current owner than I will not be able to renew the domain later? Or perhaps ownership of the domain can not even transfer hands in the first place?

Would someone please tell me EXACTLY what rules apply here? Am I out of luck? Or is there in fact something I can do? I even looked at the ICANN website and didn't find any answers to my question there.

If you don't know the answer to my question can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They can no longer be registered. If somebody let a 2 letter/char .com .net or .org expire, its gone for good. If you buy a domain like that I'm sure your going to spend a nice chuck of cash on it and lets get real now, what are the chances that somebody forgets to renew a 2 char .com? If your going to invest thousands in a domain you might as well invest an extra $90 and put a 10 year life on it so you can sleep at night.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back