NameSilo

TutorialIndex.com - Tutorial Search Engine

Located in Website Reviews and Appraisals started by cipcip, Jan 17, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. cipcip

cipcip Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hello guys,

As some of you know, I love to create search engine, crawlers and everything about this field. I had a torrent search engine, which I took down since it kind of is illegal.

So, I bought this domain here on NP, it is an 18 years old domain name and I thought I should develop it. I had the backbone of my script from the torrent one, so why not ?

Features:
    - Crawlers for Pixel2life, Tuts Plus, Hackr.io (so far)
    - Report broken links with reCaptcha from Google - Broken links go into the db, and from admin panel you can directly delete the entry from the DB, or you can delete the report;
    - Ads management, in admin panel, you can add multiple ads, and you can select which one you want to use (want to make an ad rotator soon)
    - Statistics in admin panel: how many tutorials were indexed today, this week, total.

Link: https://tutorialindex.com

What do you guys think? All suggestions for improvement are welcomed.

Thank you,

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. cipcip

Made a slight back-end improvement.

- When a link gets reported, the administrator gets and e-mail with the reported link id.
    - Added Cookies consent because of EU regulations.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. cipcip

In order to get better search results, I dumped the old syntax which was something like:
    WHERE search_term LIKE "test"

Moved to FULLTEXT search, which is using MATCH('db-structure') AGAINST('test')

This way, better results should be fetched from the script.

Also, added Score rating, where highest matches by score are showed first.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. cipcip

SmashingMagazine.com just added to the index.

Reached 15k tutorials in the database.

5. cipcip

Tutorialzine.com just added to the site index.

6. EbookLover

EbookLover Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Not bad, I always wanted to make search engines and bots but I never learned how. Any tips on resources and scripts to use? I have made one using wordpress but wordpress search function is no good.

Anyhow, regarding your site, it's good, but my only concern is how are you monetizing it?

7. cipcip

Hello, thank you for your review.

The script is custom made with php, mysql, for the crawler i used simple html dom.

For monetizing, i have ads on the results page that can be easily change from the admin panel.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 1:23 AM
  8. barman

barman Established Member

Your domain is pretty good and its good that you're taking initiative.

Here are things that I would improve on -
    - The world of programming moves fast. "Date published" info is critical because I don't want to be reading tutorials from 2005. And that's ideally how you should sort the results.
    - Your UI could use a lot of improvement. It lacks the crisp, modern feel of websites today. It feels like this is a website I would have seen 10 years ago.

9. cipcip

Thank you for your suggestions @barman

I am not that good of a web ui designer, but i will try my best to come up with something else without missing the point that is a search engine.

Search engines must be simple, look at google, well organized, I admit, but still simple.

For date publish, I will fetch that info as well, where possible.

10. EbookLover

EbookLover Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Probably 99% of the work you need to do to make it look more modern will be CSS work. What's mostly making your homepage look outdated is the search box styling and the background around your header. I'm not an expert by any means, but I did a little CSS editing via FireFox inspector - I removed the header background and the "3D" styling around the search form as well as borders on the input to give it a more modern flat look and it's already looking better (in my opinion)...

[​IMG]

and here it is with a simple logo I made...

[​IMG]

If you want to use the logo, download it here, it yours. I think simple logo designs look the best for 95% of sites out there.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 9:52 PM
  11. cipcip

Thank you very much for the useful input @EbookLover highly appreciated

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!