Dynadot

Tucows / Namejet

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mr-x

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Tucows prerelease domains going to public auction instead of private. Tucows went from being an ethical company to a domain hoarder, now changing the rules again.

It's be nice if tucows were more like Godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
they, the registrars, particularly enom, changed the game years ago with clubdrop

which later became namejet

so, I be not surprised, when they just start keeping all the names they like and just drop the crap for bidders to fight over.

ethics vs profits

imo...

•••
Tucows/Opensrs is desperate. We used them for years, but they keep raising reseller prices, have awful tech support and transfers are slow. I will never use them again and am slowly moving the last couple hundred domains off of them.

The GDPR thing they did a couple of months ago was a disaster and left thousands of customers with domains hung in transfers, missing whois data, etc for a couple weeks.

•••
Tucows prerelease domains going to public auction instead of private. Tucows went from being an ethical company to a domain hoarder, now changing the rules again.

It's be nice if tucows were more like Godaddy.
100% of pre-release GoDaddy domains are public auctions. So Tucows already became "like GoDaddy" in that sense, and now they both send domains to public auctions.

Why do you think GoDaddy's public pre-release auctions are better than public pre-release auctions at NameJet though? If you add in the rampant bot bidding going on at GoDaddy (facilitated and supported by GoDaddy), I'd say NameJet auctions, even if public, are more domainer friendly than GoDaddy Auctions. The NameJet API only exposes domains with 3+ bids to everyone with API access. GoDaddy Auctions instantly exposes any domain with a single bid to the API bot bidders. Personally I'd rather not NameJet become more like GoDaddy, because then prices at NJ would be even more overpriced.

Also, Tucows send their pre-release invetory to GoDaddy Auctions, not to NameJet. It's been like that for a long time. So you can buy pre-release Tucows domains in your preferred public auction format at GoDaddy. Expired Tucows domains don't go through NameJet anymore.

The stuff Tucows sell at NameJet is from their pre-existing private warehousing portfolio, and they list names from their private portfolio as public auctions almost every day.

•••
100% of pre-release GoDaddy domains are public auctions. So Tucows already became "like GoDaddy" in that sense, and now they both send domains to public auctions.

AFAIK, Godaddy releases 100% of their domains. They buy portfolios to compete instead of hoarding. Lot's of small problems with both companies.

I don't see the point to a prerelease period for public auctions.

Why do you think GoDaddy's public pre-release auctions are better than public pre-release auctions at NameJet though? If you add in the rampant bot bidding going on at GoDaddy (facilitated and supported by GoDaddy), I'd say NameJet auctions, even if public, are more domainer friendly than GoDaddy Auctions. The NameJet API only exposes domains with 3+ bids to everyone with API access. GoDaddy Auctions instantly exposes any domain with a single bid to the API bot bidders. Personally I'd rather not NameJet become more like GoDaddy, because then prices at NJ would be even more overpriced.

Also, Tucows send their pre-release invetory to GoDaddy Auctions, not to NameJet. It's been like that for a long time. So you can buy pre-release Tucows domains in your preferred public auction format at GoDaddy. Expired Tucows domains don't go through NameJet anymore.

The stuff Tucows sell at NameJet is from their pre-existing private warehousing portfolio, and they list names from their private portfolio as public auctions almost every day.

Godaddy gives me the opportunity to sell my domains to their customers.

Last edited:
•••
AFAIK, Godaddy releases 100% of their domains. They buy portfolios to compete instead of hoarding.
I bought an expired domain at GoDaddy. It was delivered to my account and under my ownership. It was WAY beyond any renewal/redemption period when I owned it, and there was no way for the domain to legitimately leave my account.

Then somebody from GoDaddy accessed my account and pushed the domain to their NameFind account, and they are now offering it for sale as part of their NameFind portfolio.

They may release most domains for us to buy, but as my experience indicate, not all. And if you buy an expired domain they didn't intend to let go through the auctions and get bought, they don't shy away from outright going into your account to steal it.

They did not give me my domain back, but they did give me a $50 gift card to make up for taking my domain from my account. If they had wanted, there would have been no issue for them to return it to me. After all, they put it into their own NameFind portfolio. So I don't find GoDaddy to be ethically superior to Tucows.

•••
Tucows have always been domain hoarders.
They used to be a major player but that was early 2000s.
Now plenty of registrars are doing better job and they have become irrelevant.

•••
•••
I bought an expired domain at GoDaddy. It was delivered to my account and under my ownership. It was WAY beyond any renewal/redemption period when I owned it, and there was no way for the domain to legitimately leave my account.

Then somebody from GoDaddy accessed my account and pushed the domain to their NameFind account, and they are now offering it for sale as part of their NameFind portfolio.

They may release most domains for us to buy, but as my experience indicate, not all. And if you buy an expired domain they didn't intend to let go through the auctions and get bought, they don't shy away from outright going into your account to steal it.

They did not give me my domain back, but they did give me a $50 gift card to make up for taking my domain from my account. If they had wanted, there would have been no issue for them to return it to me. After all, they put it into their own NameFind portfolio. So I don't find GoDaddy to be ethically superior to Tucows.

I had something similar happen at Namejet. Won a name, was super stoked. Domain sat in limbo, was eventually removed from my auction account and found it's way to namefind.

No doubt dishonest employees are a problem.

•••
Back