IT.COM

debate Trying Something Drastic!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've decided to shake things up a bit in an effort to at least generate some cash flow for 2022 (zero sales so far).

1 - I reduced DRASTICALLY the Buy It Now Prices on most of my domains (portfolio is about 136 names now) and I did this for about 120 of them. 16 are long term holds if I don't get my price, but the rest I slashed massively...the majority of my names are now priced between 399 and 1488, roughly.

2 - I synced up my BIN prices so that they match across Afternic, Sedo, and DAN. Yes, I am using BINs on all three marketplaces since I think the odds of selling the same name to different buyers is very low (small portfolio)

3 - I may try listing a couple brandable names on Squadhelp if this doesn't generate any sales.

4 -IF I get a sale or two (big IF), I will probably raise a few of the lowest priced names, but just a little. My goal is to generate some type of cashflow for the year to help offset my renewal fees.

Have any of you radically changed your pricing with the hopes of shaki g things up and generating some sales?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
...so here's a example with mostly round numbers.

Say you own 200 domains that will cost $10 each to renew so your expenses if you don't buy any new names are $2k.

At an average sell through rate of 1% you can 'expect' 2 sales this year.

Then think about what you want to achieve:

Case 1: I just want to break even, oh dear God please let me break even - your MINIMUM DOMAIN PRICE should be $1k so that 2 sales make you enough to cover expenses (I realize I am over simplifying, leaving out commissions but you get the idea)

Case 2: I want to cover expenses and have $1k to invest in more names - your MINIMUM DOMAIN PRICE should be $1.5k so 2 sales (assuming 1% sell through rate on 200 domains) gets you $3k. $2k for expenses and $1k to buy more names.

Case 3: I want to cover expenses, have $1k to buy more domains, have $1k to take my best friend's wife on a vacation. Your MINIMUM DOMAIN PRICE should be $2k (2 sales gets you $4k, $2k for expenses, $1k to buy more names, $1k for vacation.

Case 4: I want to be @abdulbasit - Buy the Dot-CO registry and price all your names at a minimum of $15,888 😁

Anyway, maybe this is obvious to you more experienced domainers, but it has me thinking about pricing my domains in a whole new way.

•••
I had no sales since November and had two April sales on two days in a row..

Last edited:
•••
•••
Seriously can't believe I've had a second sale within ten days of my last sale. It's posted in the Completed Sales thread...

This business is 'odd' - Lol.
I had no sales since November and had two 3K April sales on two days in a row.

Last edited:
•••
I had no sales since November and had two 3K April sales on two days in a row.
It's so strange how so much time can go by with nothing then BAM

•••
It's so strange how so much time can go by with nothing then BAM
I'm looking forward to my first Sedo sale though. It will probably take 5 years or so lol

•••
I'm looking forward to my first Sedo sale though. It will probably take 5 years or so lol
I have all but given up on Sedo. The one area I may still use them is they have occasional free auctions, like Quarterly Keyword Domain Auction. The catch is you have to start your domains at $99 Reserve, so good for liquidations only.

And if you have a very high value domain you can pay for their featured auction to get exposure.

I used to list all my domains at Afternic, Sedo, Dan. Now I just use Afternic and DAN and with the DAN Afternic integration, may just only list at Afternic going forward.

•••
Do you use installments?!

That might be an idea...

•••
Do you use installments?!

That might be an idea...
I avoid installments, because with 1-2% STR the average domain sale business model will collapse. Installments could work for domainers with huge portfolios.

Last edited:
•••
Seriously can't believe I've had a second sale within ten days of my last sale. It's posted in the Completed Sales thread...

This business is 'odd' - Lol.

But it's made me reconsider my pricing strategy so I thought I'd share it here:

Like most people, I buy, hang reg, get a name somehow and then think...hmmm, it's okay but not great so I may price it at xxx and hope for a sale.

I have changed to a pricing model that focuses on what I want to achieve versus what I think the domains are worth....
Saw your slae in the reported sale thread, can't believe it happened, Congrats again🥳

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back