IT.COM

Transferring Domain without canceling Domain by Proxy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I have a couple of domains at GoDaddy with Domain by Proxy which need to be renewed soon. To save money, I wan to transfer the domains to Internet.bs since its only $6.49 for the transfer including a one year extension and free proxy.

To transfer the domains, I have to cancel the Domain by Proxy, and then start the transfer which can take a couple of days apparently.

So, my question is, is there a way to leave the proxy or private whois while transferring the domain?

Thanks for your help! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've never transferred OUT of GoDaddy, but I recall reading here that you can transfer it very quickly (not having to wait the few days as alot of other registrars). Is the hold up on the "Going-TO" side?

Problem is you would still be "Public" for that short period before letting it transfer out...

•••
Right now I'm waiting for Internet.bs to send out the initial transfer agreement email. First time I did it I got it pretty fast but transfer failed because of domain by proxy. So, I disabled it and this time everything is taking much longer, but hope I get the email soon.

•••
Unfortunately the privacy service will indeed have to be disabled prior to transferring. That's to ensure you indeed get the confirmation email and what-not.

•••
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just have to cancel domain proxy every time I transfer.

And the reason why I didn't get the confirmation email is because I recentely switched host and forgot to add the google mail servers :red: :P

•••
Most domain privacy services offer email forwarding. So if godaddy's proxy service has that feature you don't have to disable it before transferring out. You merely look up the domain in whois and send a test email to confirm that forwarding works. Then just transfer as usual.

•••
Most domain privacy services offer email forwarding. So if godaddy's proxy service has that feature you don't have to disable it before transferring out. You merely look up the domain in whois and send a test email to confirm that forwarding works. Then just transfer as usual.

Thanks, seems like that actually works :) Tried with another domain and left domain by proxy on and its currently in the final stage of transferring the domain so I'll post an update once its done but so far so good ;)

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Thanks, seems like that actually works :) Tried with another domain and left domain by proxy on and its currently in the final stage of transferring the domain so I'll post an update once its done but so far so good ;)

Got happy to early, Domain by Proxy doesn't allow transfers so Dave was right, only way is to cancel the proxy.

•••
Well I was able to transfer all my domains within 3,4 hours or so. The thing that took the longest initially was for Godaddy to send me the authorization code, but noticed that if you request it twice they send it immediately :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back