Dynadot

question Transfer of critical information while payment is still held in escrow

NameSilo
Watch

emmanuelk1985

Impact
Hello everyone,

I was not familiar with this forum since a couple of weeks ago. I found a lot of useful information here, so I decided to create a new post to ask for your advice:

I am in the process of selling two websites through escrow.com. Those websites content are mainly videos, and they work on a membership business model.

I recently found a buyer for those sites and we agreed on a transaction through escrow.com. We both agreed to the terms, he sent the funds to escrow and I pushed the domains to him. I then transferred the domains to another registrar and now we are waiting for the transfer to complete before he can change the DNS. So even though he got the domain names, the dns are still pointing to my servers.

Now here is the catch: The buyer now requests me to transfer the paypal account (as agreed upon), as well as the vimeo and Youtube accounts linked to those websites.

My problem is that if I transfer those accounts before the payment is released by escrow, he would have the possibility to cancel the transaction, and send the domain names back to me, while keeping the vimeo account, Youtube account, and paypal with all the active recurring payments linked to it – which are not covered by the escrow agreement.

To be completely honest, I told him I would send those accounts once the payment was secured by escrow, but I since learned that the transaction could still be canceled afterwards. I tried to make him understand that I will not be able to transfer those accounts before I am sure to get paid, and even proposed to sign a contract to guaranty the transfer once the payment is released by escrow… However he does not want any of that and request the accounts to be transferred before he agrees to release the funds.

I am not trying to make it harder than it has to be, but I want to make sure I will get paid before I send those critical accounts, as those sites are my main source of income. If I give them and he decides to cancel the transaction in escrow, I will be basically left with nothing to support my family.

I know I am not blameless in this whole story, as I previously agreed to release the accounts once the payment was secured by escrow… but the matter is so sensitive for the well-being of my family that I am reluctant to take any risks with that.

Any advice on how I could resolve this situation would be greatly appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back