NameSilo

trademark Trademark Status of domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ahsi.ali

Established Member
Impact
I own couple of domains and I want to know my legal standing.
pfreelancer.com
yobtube.com

For pfreelancer.com, I have set up a gigs related freelance marketplace which is different from freelancer.com business structure.
Regarding YOBTUBE.COM, I intend to use it as a youth only social connectivity platform instead of videos only platform like youtube.com

Any chance they could sue me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yobtube first of all sounds silly and doesn’t seem to have much to do with “youth” or “youths” (or youts :ROFL: for that matter). So from a business point of view, I don’t even like it to begin with.

In any case yes there’s a likelihood of confusion with YouTube and yes Google could cease and desist / sue you for infringement. That’s the free analysis. You want details? pay me or any other lawyer.

Last edited:
•••
Yobtube first of all sounds silly and doesn’t seem to have much to do with “youth” or “youths” (or youts :ROFL: for that matter). So from a business point of view, I don’t even like it to begin with.

In any case yes there’s a likelihood of confusion with YouTube and yes Google could cease and desist / sue you for infringement. That’s the free analysis. You want details? pay me or any other lawyer.

YOB = Youth on board

•••
It's sometimes hard to tell if questions here are serious. And, please don't take offense, since I realize that maybe there is no "natural" sense about these kinds of things. But I really have to ask you this question, because it helps me to calibrate what people might just sort of know on an intuitive basis, and what sorts of things need to be explained.

Let's have a look at this logo:

pfreelancer.com__e6212a2ac4fab972f9bafe6881ecff0e.png

And let's have a look at this logo:

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 12.50.04 PM.png

This does not strike you as a problem?

•••
Time to re-run the classic...

•••
•••
Yobtube first of all sounds silly and doesn’t seem to have much to do with “youth” or “youths”

Actually it does, but not in a good way. Ask anyone raised in the UK what a "yob" is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yob_(slang)

Yob is slang in the United Kingdom for a loutish, uncultured person.

The most common application of the word "yob" is in reference to young meatheaded soccer hooligan types, noted for vandalism and petty crime.

http://www.actuarialpost.co.uk/article/british-businesses:-blighted-by-yobs-2998.htm

The number of critical risks that businesses face every day is growing. Alongside extreme weather, regulatory changes and staffing problems, organisations up and down the country are also experiencing firsthand the impact of Britain’s yob culture. From incidences such as petty theft, broken windows and doors and graffiti, to littering and intimidation or harassment, the financial implications of such behaviour are being keenly felt by businesses of all shapes and sizes every single day.

The notion that "yob" is a reference to "youth on board" is a ridiculous an attempt to justify an obvious typo of "youtube". Likewise, putting a "p" in front of "freelancer.com" and then copying their logo for a "different" business structure for the same market is just sad.

But I realized I hadn't addressed the question:

Any chance they could sue me?

Yes. A good one. And if they do, they will deservedly win.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back