IT.COM

trademark Trademark issue?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Henry Y

Established Member
Impact
Are there any trademark issues if I sell the domain name TW.social to Twitter?

Thanks for your advices in advance!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depends

Is it real or just wishful thinking?

•••
Depends

Is it real or just wishful thinking?

I plan to sell it to Twitter.

It seems Twitter doesn't have a trademark of "TW". But I am afraid that people may associate the domain name with Twitter when seeing the domain name (is it a kind of trademark issue?).

Could you please explain why "depends"?

Many thanks for your advice!

•••
Reason I said depends is.....

Selling to twitter is wishful thinking at best.

It only makes sense to get into longer analyzing on this if there is a chance of a sale and quite honestly I cannot see it. If they don't own a mark for TW then why would they consider the domain instead of twitter.social or t.social to go along with their t(dot)co?

Now if there is another use for tw.social then it might be worthwhile to pursue because a two letter anything does have end user possibilities.

Last edited:
•••
My advice would be not to think Twitter, but I see it as a short useful acronym domain name. There are many possible uses that might make sense with the .social extension. Here are some possibilities. With all the sensitivity re trigger warnings, I wonder if someone at some price might see it working with that. The Taiwan abbreviation is another possibility.

For both business and legal reasons it is best not to focus on any one company with any domain name. I see this name probably as going to a blogger, journalist, celebrity, influencer, or networking site. Just my humble opinion. Good luck with it.

Bob

•••
Reason I said depends is.....

Selling to twitter is wishful thinking at best.

It only makes sense to get into longer analyzing on this if there is a chance of a sale and quite honestly I cannot see it. If they don't own a mark for TW then why would they consider the domain instead of twitter.social or t.social to go along with their t(dot)co?

Now if there is another use for tw.social then it might be worthwhile to pursue because a two letter anything does have end user possibilities.

Thanks for your advice!

I just think if there are no trademark issues, why don't have a try to sell it to Twitter, although the chance of successful deal may be very low as you said...

I actually found some potential end users and am trying to sell it to them.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Last edited:
•••
My advice would be not to think Twitter, but I see it as a short useful acronym domain name. There are many possible uses that might make sense with the .social extension. Here are some possibilities. With all the sensitivity re trigger warnings, I wonder if someone at some price might see it working with that. The Taiwan abbreviation is another possibility.

For both business and legal reasons it is best not to focus on any one company with any domain name. I see this name probably as going to a blogger, journalist, celebrity, influencer, or networking site. Just my humble opinion. Good luck with it.

Bob

Thanks for your advice and your information about possible abbreviations of TW!

Could you please advise why not to think Twitter? I just think if there are no trademark issues, why don't have a try to sell it to Twitter...

I do not focus on Twitter solely. I actually found some potential end users and am trying to sell it to them as well.

Thanks again for your time and advice!

•••
I doubt very much Twitter would have interest. But the bigger reason not to contact them about it is by doing so you would be saying you find value in it because of similarity to a trademarked term even though TW is not trademarked per se. By contacting them you are saying you see gaining from their TM. Just my opinion and maybe I am overly sensitive.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back