Domain Empire

[Trademark] Before registering domain name...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey guys, i need some help here. First sorry if my English is bad. I'll make it clear as possible.

I want to register a domain name. It's rom dictionary (I will use 'example'). But it's dot TV domain. (So it's 'example.tv')

First i search for TM in uspto.gov for 'example' word. I got many list for 'example' word (Even foreign word for 'example' if translated).

At this point, i got confused. I don't know how to read at record details for 'example' word.

How can I'm sure that my domain name for 'example.tv' is safe for something that i can't be sued for?
I mean my 'example.tv' is safe for everything. What if i want to sell it?

Thanks for your reply.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is a very complicated question you ask. There are a wide variety of issues which would affect your situation. To give a more specific example, "windows" is a dictionary word. In itself it is generic, but if you use it in the technology rield, then you would be violating MS's TM. Now if you use it for cleaning windows, you are using it in a description nature. Now if you park windows and the links are for software, then it is "bad faith" usage. If you try to sell it to MS, then that is the definition of cybersquatting. If you sell it to someone else, you can still be held liable if MS wants to play hardball.

The best advice I can give is use the search box and type in "trademark" and read for a week, then after that, type in "TM" and read the threads you may have missed teh first time. Jsut about every senario is covered here. It will save you time, money and headaches.

Good Luck.

•••
I see, if i want to register apple.com and it's not related to computer or mac but real apple, so it's fine right? I mean I'm not violating Apple's TM right? Because dictionary says that Apple is a fruit, and i use it in natural description. E.g. selling apple fruit, or make your apple fruit bigger.

If i own domain apple.com. That means i can't sell it for freely. So, do you think i can use the private way?

•••
With domains, usage plays an important part of determining bad faith. If you use "Apple" for a fruit stand, then you have established rights to it. You may sell it, (going to the TM could be a bad idea).

BTW- you couldn't get into the music industry either with Apple.

•••
Okay, got it. I will read everything about TM in here. Thanks for your reply!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back