IT.COM

discuss Top 10 Most Abused Extensions December 2017! Spamhaus

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Just read the list of most abused extensions from December 2017. I was surprised to find that .top and a couple of others are NOT on the list.

SpamHaus.png

Source: https://domaingang.com/domain-news/...of-top-10-most-abused-tlds-for-december-2017/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for highlighting the changes, @Silentptnr I'm going to take advantage to add a bit more data specifically.

Not only are .top and .xyz nowhere near the bad list, .top is comparable with .com, and .xyz is much better than .com, in terms of abuse. Here are today's 'badness index' values for the 5 most popular of the new gTLDs plus three popular legacy global TLDs (com/net/info) , arranged from best to worst, although all of these are in acceptable range.

BEST
.xyz 0.41
.net 0.96
.club 1.41
.com 1.46
.top 1.57
.win 1.86
.loan 2.72
.info 2.97
WORST

You can look up any at the link below - more precise than just reading the worst 10 summary and brief commentary from the domaingang link.

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Note that many of the new gTLDs are way better than .com. For example, .space at 0.37 and .xyz at 0.41 are both widely used and way better than .com or .net in terms of abuse. Another quite good one, and in the top 10 registration wise, is .site at 0.87. Of course some of the restricted country code have superb reputations (.ca among them!) as do things like .mil for obvious reasons!

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Bob

Bob

•••
I must say that I am rather surprised that .xyz is in top of the BEST list.

Also that .top seems to have improved a lot...

•••
•••
I was surprised to find that .top and a couple of others are NOT on the list.
A few months already elapsed since .top disappeared from this TOP.

•••
Since April among legacy gTLDs the best BI is stable for .PRO
And as of today: 0.21

•••
Thanks for highlighting the changes, @Silentptnr I'm going to take advantage to add a bit more data specifically.

Not only are .top and .xyz nowhere near the bad list, .top is comparable with .com, and .xyz is much better than .com, in terms of abuse. Here are today's 'badness index' values for the 5 most popular of the new gTLDs plus three popular legacy global TLDs (com/net/info) , arranged from best to worst, although all of these are in acceptable range.

BEST
.xyz 0.41
.net 0.96
.club 1.41
.com 1.46
.top 1.57
.win 1.86
.loan 2.72
.info 2.97
WORST

You can look up any at the link below - more precise than just reading the worst 10 summary and brief commentary from the domaingang link.

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Note that many of the new gTLDs are way better than .com. For example, .space at 0.37 and .xyz at 0.41 are both widely used and way better than .com or .net in terms of abuse. Another quite good one, and in the top 10 registration wise, is .site at 0.87. Of course some of the restricted country code have superb reputations (.ca among them!) as do things like .mil for obvious reasons!

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Bob

Bob

9/10 new gtlds. That's not good.

•••
9/10 new gtlds. That's not good.

Mostly because new gTLDs constitutes 90% of all extensions. ;) Still I get what you’re saying. .Com, .net and .info are found on the best list...

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back