Dynadot

TOLERATED: GOOD AND BAD IN THE INDUSTRY.

NameSilo
Watch

Does the industry TOLERATE good or bad character?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 😇 It tolerates bad and favors the good.

votes
    0.0%
  • 🤬 It tolerates the good and favors the bad.

votes
    66.7%
  • 👥 People will be people.

vote
    33.3%
  • 🤑 I'm all about money. I could care less.

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
😇 Let's balance the scales here a bit. We constantly read/hear the classification of domain names as "good" or "bad". Never do we read/hear about "people in the domain industry" being classified as good or bad.

😡 Because good and bad run parallel with morals and ethics, which both shape industry culture, it's appropriate they be used to classify people who play a role in shaping the industry itself.

🤔 So, the question is:

Does the centralized domain industry, in its current state, TOLERATE 'good character' or 'bad character'?

🙅 Domain sales history and accolades should NOT be factored in this one. Focus on investor behavior, engagement style and known business practices. (Note: Downvoting this thread counts as a vote for "It tolerates the good and favors the bad".)

👂 Let's hear it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Any field has good and bad actors.

The domain field is relatively small, has a low bar to entry, and is kind of like the wild west.

It might attract more bad actors than a more mature field that has a higher bar to entry and more rules and regulations.

Though, this is not just a centralized problem. It is not like the "decentralized" field is any better.

The amount of shady stuff you see in regards to pumping, wash trading, trademark abuse, etc. is on another level.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Any field has good and bad actors.

The domain field is relatively small, has a low bar to entry, and is kind of like the wild west.

It might attract more bad actors than a more mature field that has a higher bar to entry and more rules and regulations.

Though, this is not just a centralized problem. It is not like the "decentralized" field is any better.

The amount of shady stuff you see in regards to pumping, wash trading, trademark abuse, etc. is on another level.

Brad

⚖️ @bmugford, there are surely good and bad actors in EVERY field. The decentralized domain space included. However, the centralized space is older; and more cemented in its culture. (Hence, the relevance of the poll/thread). Despite the centralized industry being "small", and having "a lower bar" of entry, the investor culture paints a contrasting narrative.

⚖️ The centralized domain industry's "small" community is overshadowed by "substantial sales figures". Its "lower bar of entry" pales in comparison to "the value ideology fiercely endorsed by many investors". With all the money generated in the centralized domain industry, one would think domain utility would be robust. This is why some speculate the industry has dirty laundry of its own.

⚖️ The thread/poll wasn't a compare and contrast exercise. It was merely highlighting that "people" shape the centralized industry. People with specific beliefs and outlooks that'll influence where the industry is headed as a whole. Instead of just critiquing domain names, maybe a critique of the people buying and selling the names might be overdue. Doing so could benefit us all.

•••
⚖️ The centralized domain industry's "small" community is overshadowed by "substantial sales figures". Its "lower bar of entry" pales in comparison to "the value ideology fiercely endorsed by many investors". With all the money generated in the centralized domain industry, one would think domain utility would be robust. This is why some speculate the industry has dirty laundry of its own.
I guess my point sailed over your head.

If you have a low bar to entry, you are likely to have a disproportionate amount of bad actors.

⚖️ The thread/poll wasn't a compare and contrast exercise. It was merely highlighting that "people" shape the centralized industry. People with specific beliefs and outlooks that'll influence where the industry is headed as a whole. Instead of just critiquing domain names, maybe a critique of the people buying and selling the names might be overdue. Doing so could benefit us all.
I am not sure what you mean exactly.

There are plenty of critiques of companies, people, and the various BS that goes on in the field.

Brad

•••
I guess my point sailed over your head.

If you have a low bar to entry, you are likely to have a disproportionate amount of bad actors.

I am not sure what you mean exactly.

There are plenty of critiques of companies, people, and the various BS that goes on in the field.

Brad

😂 I get your point. I simply responded from a slightly different angle for context purposes. Your comment pointed to the good and bad in every industry. This could be misinterpreted by the "NamePros Downvote Gang" as a justification for what goes on in the centralized domain industry. I simply didn't want it to come off that way. You know some folks in the forum hang off your every post/word; so I used my response to reiterate the thread is about the centralized industry and not every other industry. Respectfully.

🤝 Anywho, your answer was accurate. The centralized domain space does in fact function like the wild wild west in many ways. There are cowboys, gangs and most certainly tribalism. Some might even say there's an organized lawlessness. Nevertheless, it's the industry we have; and the one we're tasked with improving for the sake of the web and humanity. It's dialogue like ours that helps in one way or another to move the needle. There can be disagreements and downvotes galore; but the stage for better is being set.

🗣️Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
😂 I get your point. I simply responded from a slightly different angle for context purposes. Your comment pointed to the good and bad in every industry. This could be misinterpreted by the "NamePros Downvote Gang" as a justification for what goes on in the centralized domain industry. I simply didn't want it to come off that way. You know some folks in the forum hang off your every post/word; so I used my response to reiterate the thread is about the centralized industry and not every other industry. Respectfully.
I am not a member of the "downvote gang".

I am a member of the group who wants to get rid of the anonymous downvote.
🤝 Anywho, your answer was accurate. The centralized domain space does in fact function like the wild wild west in many ways. There are cowboys, gangs and most certainly tribalism. Some might even say there's an organized lawlessness. Nevertheless, it's the industry we have; and the one we're tasked with improving for the sake of the web and humanity. It's dialogue like ours that helps in one way or another to move the needle. There can be disagreements and downvotes galore; but the stage for better is being set.

🗣️Mel
QUAD Domains
Cheers. 🍷

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am not a member of the "downvote gang".

I am a member of the group who wants to get rid of the anonymous downvote.

Cheers. 🍷

Brad
+1 getting rid of the anonymous downvoting.

•••
For the record, have never done the anonymous downvotes.

With the upvotes, will be accompanied by a like to show face.

On the question at hand, anyone has a voice whether a good or bad character, being tolerant or not of them comes in the form of support of it, or lack of.

Support can come via the platform they are voiced on, or those that are in agreement with it. Or lack of.

What I think is the larger issue is the form of anonymous toleration. But anyone with half a brain can easily weasel this stuff out if they choose to dig deep enough.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back