Domain Empire

discuss To renew, or not to renew? Your thoughts?

NameSilo
Watch

How do you handle renewals for your nTLD domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Use automatic renewals with my registrar

• Go through every domain manually

• I have a set amount of years that I always keep my domains before I review them at all

• Haven't decided yet

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dotGLOBAL

.GLOBALVIP Member
.GLOBAL Staff
Impact
Generally speaking, what's your strategy when it comes to renewing domains (any domains, but new TLDs in particular)? What are the top reasons that you tend to chose to renew your domain vs. not renew it?

"What do you do after you plant a seed?
You leave it.
You don't dig it up every morning to see if it has a root.
You leave it."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...

But I renew good domains. Period.

•••
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...

But I renew good domains. Period.

I would assume you only register "good" domains then too, or some wildcards aswell? Or what makes a "good" and a "not-good-enough-to-renew" name, to you?

Do you use automatic renewal for all of your domains, or do you prefer to handle it manually?

•••
I would assume you only register "good" domains then too? Or what makes a "good" and a "bad name, to you?

Do you use automatic renewal for all of your domains, or do you prefer to handle it manually?

Automatic, always.

Everyone ends up with subpar domains. Can't be helped.

And it's impossible to define what a good domain is. It's 100% subjective until you get into the super premiums.

•••
If I think it's good I renew it. I never use auto-renewals and always renew for one year, cash flow reasons as much as anything else.

I keep a list of my domains in a spreadsheet which I can easily sort by renewal date just to keep an eye on things.

•••
All of my premium domain names, the ones that I purchased for five or six figures, are on auto renew.

Everything else, I consider the following before I renew or let it expire:
  • Traffic: Number of monthly uniques
  • Traffic: Percentage of direct visits (type-ins, generally)
  • Interest: Number of unique offers
  • Interest: Highest offer received
  • Potential: Number of total prospects that could benefit from buying it
  • Potential: Success level of prospects as a reflection of how much they could spend to purchase it
I used to renew blindly, because I've sold plenty of garbage domains that shouldn't have been renewed using the information above, but my ROI across my entire portfolio has increased tenfold since I stopped renewing the garbage.

•••
All of my premium domain names, the ones that I purchased for five or six figures, are on auto renew.

Everything else, I consider the following before I renew or let it expire:
  • Traffic: Number of monthly uniques
  • Traffic: Percentage of direct visits (type-ins, generally)
  • Interest: Number of unique offers
  • Interest: Highest offer received
  • Potential: Number of total prospects that could benefit from buying it
  • Potential: Success level of prospects as a reflection of how much they could spend to purchase it
I used to renew blindly, because I've sold plenty of garbage domains that shouldn't have been renewed using the information above, but my ROI across my entire portfolio has increased tenfold since I stopped renewing the garbage.

Thanks for you reply. Have you developed your own system to manage your portfolio and all the data, or are you using a service for that, so that you can have a good overview?

•••
Personally, if it is worth my time and money to renew, I will do so.

With nTLDs... I have a very small portfolio because many of the registries *SEEM* to be doing the same thing and that is to keep many premium domains for themselves, put many more premium domains for sale at premium prices, and try to push what is remaining to the public in hopes that the extension will take off.

I personally have a problem with buying any domain in an untested and unproven extension for anything over basic registration fee.
I will gladly pay and gamble on premium words in different extensions ONLY at registration fee. $30-$40 per year in an extension is worth the speculation/gamble if the domain name is good enough.

I am tired of registries pushing sub par domain names on us (me in particular) for registration fee BUT providing the premium names for premium prices.
NO, I refuse to be subject to that scam and every single nTLD domain name I have registered have come at normal registration fee.

There is a HUGE difference between .COM and nTLDs. The .COM name may very well be worth a premium price and I may pay it *IF* I can afford it but NEVER an unsubstantiated extension as what we are sing with these nTLDs now a days.

You make the premium names available at normal reg fees.... not only will you sell out of names.... you will also get renewals.

I am just waiting for the first registry to actually employ that business model.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

•••
Have you developed your own system to manage your portfolio and all the data, or are you using a service for that, so that you can have a good overview?
Developed our own, but recently we've been moving everything to DomainNameSales.

It's easier to let someone else manage the technology.

•••
I generally park domains so I renew what pays for itself.

•••
I renew it manually, pushing out the not worthy ones (what I think not worthy to be).

•••
Personally, if it is worth my time and money to renew, I will do so.

With nTLDs... I have a very small portfolio because many of the registries *SEEM* to be doing the same thing and that is to keep many premium domains for themselves, put many more premium domains for sale at premium prices, and try to push what is remaining to the public in hopes that the extension will take off.

I personally have a problem with buying any domain in an untested and unproven extension for anything over basic registration fee.
I will gladly pay and gamble on premium words in different extensions ONLY at registration fee. $30-$40 per year in an extension is worth the speculation/gamble if the domain name is good enough.

I am tired of registries pushing sub par domain names on us (me in particular) for registration fee BUT providing the premium names for premium prices.
NO, I refuse to be subject to that scam and every single nTLD domain name I have registered have come at normal registration fee.

There is a HUGE difference between .COM and nTLDs. The .COM name may very well be worth a premium price and I may pay it *IF* I can afford it but NEVER an unsubstantiated extension as what we are sing with these nTLDs now a days.

You make the premium names available at normal reg fees.... not only will you sell out of names.... you will also get renewals.

I am just waiting for the first registry to actually employ that business model.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Thanks for your input.

•••
If I think it's good I renew it. I never use auto-renewals and always renew for one year, cash flow reasons as much as anything else.

I keep a list of my domains in a spreadsheet which I can easily sort by renewal date just to keep an eye on things.

I am the same here. I manually renew and use a spreadsheet for tracking purposes.

•••
I go manually, just be careful with ccTLD, some of those expire in different ways, not like coms.

•••
I go manually, just be careful with ccTLD, some of those expire in different ways, not like coms.

This is true. I have a .es domain and it will go into expiration 30 days before the expiry date. I always forget and have to get someone at GD pull it out for me to renew.

•••

Good thing that you pointed that one out. Bet that's an easy thing to miss. How many different ccTLDs do you have in your portfolio?

•••
Good thing that you pointed that one out. Bet that's an easy thing to miss. How many different ccTLDs do you have in your portfolio?
around 10/15, the most common

•••
Think it's wise to go through ones new gTLD:s manually, lot of changes happened during the first year. Even though I had a good year with them, the renewals adds up especially when investing long term.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back