IT.COM

To Clear The Myth Once and For ALL - 3 letter domains, all taken?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
To clear the myths once and for all !!!!

Im in the process of checking all 3 letter possible combinations on domains .net .org .us ( and just for the hell of it on .com )

I made a software to list me all possible combinations with 3 letters and as well as 2 and 4. For now im just chcking 3 letters.

Another software is bulk checking the entered combinations however it is not doing it all at the same time but about a 70 at a time.

I already went through - U - V - W - X - Y - Z the list with 0 available domains.

For those interested in knowing the results...

Well stick around :)
Probably guna be in few days....i thought the weekend would be enough but i think it will take a lil longer than that...

PS if anyone is interested in getting the full list of all 2, 3 or 4 possible letter combinations in a .txt format send me a PM.

%%-%%-%%-

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd be interested in seeing a list of 3 letter .ca's that are still available.

•••
They were all gone over a year ago so it's no myth. After a large buyer bought up the bulk of .info and .biz back then there was a big to do about it on another board and everyone cleaned up the remainder in .info .biz and .us

A few do drop and the bad letters like xqz.us or something along those lines might stay available for a few hours after drop time. But now even the bad letter in .biz and .info are being backordered.

•••
I am not aware that there is any bulk check on .ca domains.

I have almost all listed but .ca.

What is a good .ca bulk ?

•••
Well, all I can tell you without your program is that there are no .coms left. Give me a link when the program is finished :D

•••
I was just reading through the post. I like your experiment, but to be quite honest ive given up hope in ever finding a 3 Letter .com.

I suppose you could try and build some software that lists all the ones that are to be soon expired and give that a shot.

•••
I can save you some trouble. Of all the possibilities of 3 letter .com only 27 seem to be missing from the zone file. A whois of those shows they are all registered (although 2 are in redemption period). So yes, those are absolutely all gone.

And I agree that good 4 chars are the place to be now. I'd say all the really good ones are gone, but there are plenty of decent ones that will be worth a fiar amount down the road. I also think that good pronounceable 5 chars are a good opportunity. When it comes to branding, one of these will easily beat a bad 4 char acronym. And there are so many available that collecting a good portfolio is well within the reach of an novice domainer.

•••
These are org.cn but with the latest Google in China thread could be of major interest, picked up for reg fee a few weeks ago.

of.org.cn

cd.org.cn

on.org.cn

Each a one word two letter name.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I also think that good pronounceable 5 chars are a good opportunity. When it comes to branding, one of these will easily beat a bad 4 char acronym.
I've been sensing that brandable 5 char names might be a good area to explore and have registered a few, more off of instinct than by design. In fact, (I had to recheck), both of the two names that I placed backorders on several weeks ago, fit this category (and I've got my fingers crossed, as one is dropping sometime today or tomorrow.)

There actually are some usable, single, dictionary words still floating around, that remain unclaimed, albeit all are sparcely used as search terms, and most are adverbs, specialized technical and scientific terms or are archaic words or word forms and need the same degree of branding as that of a made up 5 char name. Some of my recent pickups of names that were unregged include: dexterously.com, responsively.com, preexamined.com

Another area that might be worth exploring, but once again carries w/ it the "needs branding" label, are grammatically incorrect, plural forms of dictionary words: ie coinables.com doodlings.com.

You are not getting a turn key, single word search term in either of these categories, nor are you getting a name w/ whole lot of intrinsic resale value. However, for dev purposes, you are buying some famiarity and word recognition value.

Moving back closer to the O/P, 5char terms that sound like something are , exponentially, a heck of alot more difficult to come up w/, than are 6char "made-ups". As a rule of thumb, (and this applies to all categories of domain name marketing, IMHO), the more difficult the search, the better the category and the better the results. When you are in any name category, and it seems like you're racing against others and against time to reg names, ie you keep missing the reg by a day, a week, a month, you've probably struck a vein. Of course there's always the chance that the vein might turn out to be fools gold, but that's part of terms and conditions of the race that we run. :wave:

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thats a pretty cool like you just gave us for the .ca
Thanks !

Im going to continue with the letter - T - for the experiment during the weekend.

I was aware that all .coms were taken, i just included the .com in the search just for the hell of it.

This is a list of all the possible extensions i can include with this software, you guys let me know if there is any other than .net .org .us to be looked at.

COM,NET,ORG,INFO,BIZ,US,CO.UK,ORG.UK,NU,CC,DE,SE,WS,AM,BZ,CN,PL,AG,AT,BE,TK,TC,VG,MS ,GS, TV , JP, LA , SC , NAME , IN ,CO.IN

Even if some of those extensions do not allow 3 character registrations they still are checkable with the software.

•••
Care to post the whois servers you're using for all of those?

•••
Hmm...i beleive and pretty logical that they are all different. The software has them entered and just contacts different websites. I think that they are all official whois from the extensions.

There is too many let me know which one you would like to know.

•••
•••
Letters W - X - Y - Z have been checked
( reminder that this is all combinations with all other letters have been checked for W - X - Y - Z on .net .org . us as well as .com)

0 Available

Letter - V - CHECKED

0 Available

Letter - U - CHECKED

0 Available

Letter - T - CHECKED

0 Available

•••
Still would like those whois servers, but back to the "experiment" at hand...

1) They are all gone right now. You can stop looking :)
2) RIGHT NOW. This won't clear it "once and for all", unfortunately. For a long while in the past few months, 3 letter .us's were available for hand registration. Now, not so much... But they could be again.

•••
Im guna have to pass on - S - soon lol :)

•••
continue your experiment, it would be very interesting to se eif the same thing is happening to 4L domains as well.

•••
I think its going to take a while before all 4 letter is gone (if they ever will).
3L = 26^3 = 17 576 domains
4L = 26^4 = 456 976 domains

•••
I think its going to take a while before all 4 letter is gone (if they ever will).
3L = 26^3 = 17 576 domains
4L = 26^4 = 456 976 domains
Hmm... I don't know. There are some deep pockets out there. Here today- gone tomorrow. :hehe: :laugh:

•••
Letters W - X - Y - Z have been checked
( reminder that this is all combinations with all other letters have been checked for W - X - Y - Z on .net .org . us as well as .com)
0 Available

Letter - V - CHECKED

0 Available

Letter - U - CHECKED

0 Available

Letter - T - CHECKED

0 Available

Letter - S - CHECKED

0 Available

Letter - R - CHECKED

0 Available

•••
All .cn domains will be taken in the following 2months I think!

•••
•••
all .cn domains will be taken in 2 months ?

thats a scary statement lol

•••
4 letter domains

Hopefully the rush will be on a year or so from now for 4 letter domains.

Who knows what will happen.

I have registered a few 4 letter com's in the hope of a 4 letter rush in the future.

I am not sure which is the best way to go- just letters or try and grab something that is maybe could mean something-

I have 2owe.com
hoyn.com
tamj.com
tufr.com [ tougher]

as well as BJBR.com

All the good letters in 4 letter com's are already taken.

I want to register 20 or 30 of these type names and hang onto them for a couple of years.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back