NameSilo

This has nothing to do with domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

We have 2 dogs, one is a German shepherd, and the other is a jack rustle. Last night, around 2:00AM our dogs started barking then barking like crazy. So we went outside, and these two rottweiler's came around the corner (They live at the house behind us). Our dogs ran inside and the other dogs ran off. Well one ran off, the other ran into our back patio, then tried to jump through part of our fence that surrounds our pool, and a few boards are broken, but he got stuck. Our little dog, spotty (the jack rustle), is all torn up. He is at the vet now getting stitched up. He has bite marks on his legs, tail, back, and a big gash at the base of his neck. Here are the links to the pictures of one of the rottweilers that got stuck. http://www.scionstatic.com/dog

Since we are going to be billed for the stitching, would we be able to sue the people that live behind us? If we will, what could we sue them for? Could we be held for anything since we do not have a fence, and the fence around our pool is broken?

Thanks and God bless,
David

P.S. The dog that got stuck between our fence, the board is NOT penetrating his body. It is however, pinching him. The reason for so many pictures, are for legal purposes. So we have proof that the dog got stuck in case we were held for anything.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey David, sorry to hear about spotty, hope he gets better soon. With regard to your question, I think you can just about sue for anything these days so you would easily find someone to take your case. I dont know where you are from but in the UK a rottweiler is on the dangerous dogs list and its against the law for a dog on that list to be roaming loose so you could probably sue the owners for negligence over that.

•••
were your dogs in their yard or were your dogs in their yard? Where was your dog all torn up at?

•••
Don't sue them right away, but rather let them pay you whatever the stitching cost plus reasonable "moral damage" fee, around $750-$1000, for the pain it caused you and your dog. If they refuse to pay, hire a lawyer and sue them.

•••
Hey redbulldog,

Thank you for your reply. I live in the U.S. as of right now, only pit bulls aren't allowed in the state I live in. However, many people still own pitbulls. The people that live behind us, they had/have a pitbull, or some sort of mix. This dog did get loose, and ALMOST got in a fight with spotty D-: . We were leaving to go somewhere, it was in the middle of the day. While pulling out of our drive way, and in the road, there was their dog (the pitbull mix) standing with a broken big chain leash on. Spotty started barking and sorting jogging over to this dog. So we opened the door and pulled spotty inside, thank goodness the other dog didn't see.

I mention that, because I don't know what type of pitbulls are not allowed in the state of Florida. I do now that at least pure breed are against the law.

The reason I do not like pitbulls, is because of their jaw, and how mean and dangerous these dogs can get. There was an incident where a pure breed pitbull attacked a much smaller dog. The pitbull was bitting his neck and would not let go. 3 or 4 men could not open this dogs mouth. Their jaws lock tight and are very hard to open. One of these men ran inside to grab a gun. They had no choice but to shoot the pitbull. (This is an old story for those of you who do not how bad pitbulls can be)

If you know anything about pitbulls in the state of Florida, please let me know. I will also be researching this.

Thanks and God bless,
David

Our dogs were on our property on our back patio as far as I know. I know for a fact that our dogs were not in their property as they have a gate that surrounds their property, and our dogs can not get through. Our back patio is a screened in area, but has a broken screen. These rottweilers have come over before when our dogs were put up. I have been at the computer late at night and have heard there metal chain collars jingle on our back porch. They come over looking for food.

-David

vip-ip said:
Don't sue them right away, but rather let them pay you whatever the stitching cost plus reasonable "moral damage" fee, around $750-$1000, for the pain it caused you and your dog. If they refuse to pay, hire a lawyer and sue them.

Ok, I will look into this further.

Thank you,
David

Last edited:
•••
•••
That's aweful,I hope your jack rustle is doing well.

•••
Yeah - it is terrible .... I had the unfortunate Task of putting down my sisters cocker spaniel after an incident with a Rottweiler ... Not an easy thing to do to begin with - and especially not with my sister standing right there. One of our neighbors (a friend with small children) took the "Law" in his own hands and ... Ahem ... there is no more Rottweilers to be seen.

It is kind of hard to answer from the legal POV as almost all states have different Leash Laws etc ... - But the link davezan has posted above has come in handy for a few people I know in the past ....

Good Luck and I Hope all turns out well for you and "spotty" ~

•••
Well I am sorry to hear about your dogs. And Im sure you could sue for at least whats its costing to get your dog all fixed up.

The pitbull thing bothers me though ...Funny you say they are so dangerous.This has always been a misconception. I have owned several ( In Orlando Fl). But after 6 or so years of owning them you want to know the dog that bit me? My then girlfriends german shepard.

Im also not sure about pitbulls being illegal in the state. From what I understand their are not Breed Specific Laws in the State Of Florida. But it is possible Per City ot county County they are illegal . You can find the this in chapter 767 in the 2004 Florida statues. http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0767/ch0767.htm

The American Temperament Test Society examined nearly 23,000 dogs of various breeds in 2001, testing them for the ability to recover from loud sounds, their reaction to strangers aggressively walking toward them and other situations.

About 82 percent of the pit bulls and Rottweilers passed the tests. Some of the breeds that scored lower include Shar-pei, 69.4 percent; Dachshunds of various types (average) 75.2 percent; Lhasa apso, 70.8 percent; Scottish terrier, 62.1 percent; silky terrier, 68.8 percent; Skye terrier, 37.5 percent, and toy poodle, 79.1 percent.

•••
it sounds like you'd be entitled to the full vets bill. I dont think you'd be entitled to anything if your dog was in their yard though. So.. hopefully those pictures show the rot leaving your yard and not coming in.

•••
redbulldog said:
UK a rottweiler is on the dangerous dogs list

ANY dog is dangerous when it has the wrong owners...... Rottweilers are very friendly dogs....

•••
Zeeble said:
ANY dog is dangerous when it has the wrong owners...... Rottweilers are very friendly dogs....

Hey Zeeble that was pretty much my point with my post about pitbulls. I have owned several from puppies to 2 and 3 year old dogs that I took in and never had a problem . They were around kids all the time.

This is why breed specific laws are a bad idea. I wonder if there was a high number of ankle bites from a poddle breed would they ban them ...lol

•••
I agree for the most part Donnie - It usually has more to do with the owner/master of the dog than the actual Breed .... But - which breed would you rather be attacked by ? - I'll take the poodle .... It's even part of several jokes ~

"What's the difference between a Pit Bull and a Poodle Hu_ _ ing your leg - ? .....

.... You let the Pit Bull finish"

•••
hahahahahaha

YEah but I should add before someone else does...There is a big difference in the 2 breeds. 2200lbs per square inch bite on a pitbull would/has cause serious injuries. Compaired to the poddle well flesh wounds..lol

But you could argue this with any breed of dog. We had a Dalmation a few years back and It was the worst dog around kids. Just in general its temperment was awful. I did some research and found out that its bad temper and ear problems are a big problems. Even raising it from a puppy it didnt change anything . Out of every dog I owned it was by far the meanest I had ever owned.

•••
Zeeble, I have nothing against Rottweilers, Im sure they are friendly but any dog can go off the rails (just like us humans) and as all4cost says, you dont want to get on the wrong side of a Rottweiler! That's why, like it or not, they are on the dangerous dogs list in the UK.

•••
davezan said:
I suggest you post your problem at http://forum.freeadvice.com .

Wanted to second this opinion.
Also wanted to suggest that if your costs are high enough, that you do seek out an attorney. Also, not sure of the entire picture/situation, but it never hurts to make sure that you weren't breaking any local ordinances either (And there are usually plenty. Every day that goes by, I'm sure I violate 30 ;) ).
-Allan

•••
Thanks guys,

For all your advice. I think we're going to wait and see what the bill is from the vet, and see what our dog looks like with all his stitches.

IAmAllanShore, I snapped those pictures real fast as I do not want to be questioned for anything that they may say our dog did or that we may have done in anger to the dog. If we sue them, and they count-sue us saying that the fight with our dog gave him some gut problem, or whatever, we have pictures of the board pinning him, and their counter-suit would be less likely to stand.

Well God bless you all,
David

•••
Hope your dog gets better dude!

•••
Even though rottweilers and pitbulls are actually LESS likely to "go off" and attack someone or something, the reason they have such a bad reputation is because WHEN they do its usually more severe than if, say, a poodle attacked you. Like someone said, a pitbull's jaw is insanely strong, and rottweilers are just big dogs, so their attacks usually result in more injuries or attacks, even though other dogs have worse temperments.

•••
If the dogs attacked your dogs in your garden I think you should make the owners aware of the situation (not confrontational) and see how they react and if they offer to pay. Document the fact that you gave them a chance of sorting things out amicably. If that fails then talk to an attorney and see what they say the chances are you will have a good case.

It looks like you have covered yourself with any injuries the other dog sustained having taken the photographs of the nail sticking close to it plus it trying to squeeze through such a narrow fence. Have you taken photographs of your own dog?? if not I would suggest doing so also see if the vet will document any injuries the dogs sustained as well as the treatment carried out.

•••
News Update...

Ok, so we got our dog back today. I haven't taken any pictures of him yet. He's sore right now. He has over 40 stitches on 6 different bites, and we have to give him this pill twice a day, along with spraying his wounds twice a day. The pill is pretty big, so we stick it inside of one of the dog treats we give him. It's the size of a regular human pill, like the size of an advil pill. The bill was $300, and he has to be back in 10 days to have the stitches removed. We have a copy of the bill, and will be taking this to the owners of the rottweilers within the next couple of days. Thank you guys for your advice. I will be able to show you guys pictures of spotty either later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks and God bless,
David

•••
I hope your pup heals 100% :)

There are many parts of this country where fences just aren't done. Upstate New York was one place I lived where people didn't fence their yards... weird! Even so, property lines are property lines and if their dogs came over to your yard and did damage, regardless of the damage (property or person), the owners are liable. Dogs owners are expected to keep their dogs within their property line!

RE: Suing. First, take lots of photos of your dog's wounds. Second, approach your neighbor and ask them to repay all vet expenses. You might want to do this in the form of a certified letter. Finally, don't get crazy about "punative or moral damages." Ask for a couple hundred (if you must) but if your neighbor thinks your getting carried away they may decide to fight your claim and then you're stuck going to small claims court. :( What you might suggest is for them to put up a fense! :)

On a side note... the number one biter for many years was the Cocker Spaniel. So don't pick on the Mastiff/Guardian types too much! ;)

Lyte

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for your response Lyte.

We are doing exactly that. They do have a fence, along their whole property line. They even have a seperate fenced in area inside their fence for the property line to keep the dogs up. We spoke with a a friend who is part of the police force, and he said it didn't matter if we have a fence or not, like what you said, that if they come over to OUR yard and mess with OUR dogs, then they have to pay. So we're going to show them the bill for the vet, along with photo's of our dog with the 40+ stitches. I really feel bad for our dog as he can't sit very well as he has a big bite mark on his, uh, you know what D-: .

God bless,
David

•••
•••
You are lucky the dog didnt attack you, we have had some cases in Hawaii where a pit bull or rott wiler has killed children, tore them apart , and when a rottweiler bites they sometimes dont let go. {there have been cases where the dogs jaws lock and wont let go for no reason there was this guy who got bit here and they took a sledghammer to the dog and he still wouldnt let go , they had to kill the dog and its jaws where stilled locked on the guys leg}

These dogs i beleive were specially bread for hunting and fighting....
The Hawaiian's who hunt love to use these dogs for mountain wild pig hunting, and accidents happen all the time here with them,

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back