IT.COM

discuss Third deal on Dan.com fallen through - 1 @ Uniregistry/1@Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ddfenton

Established Member
Impact
I've had three deals on Dan.com fall through - two with the same buyer (shame on me) - except the second time it was an offer made through the Dan system and paid for in escrow - so they're chasing him down. I am wondering what, if any, the penalty for these offenders is. I will pose the same question to Dan, but wondered if anyone else has had this happen. These are small deals.

I get bot initiated notifications informing me that they've sent invoices to the buyer - but the buyer is dragging his heels in following up on the EPP code. I can't push it through on my end, because the transfer is handled from the buyer, so I need to wait to get an email from the registry clearing the sale. The domain is unlocked and time is ticking away before it expires.

This happened at Uniregistry, too. For a $200 sale. Buyer just walked and never heard from. They have a $175 minimum commission, and the offer was for $200. They didn't bother emailing me. I just happened to notice. So, I probably shouldn't count it.

Since Sedo has accepted $20 minimums for offers, I've had three lowball offers for domains not parked there. Two for the same domain. All three were parked at AFTERNIC and listed with a BIN. The first domain had two low offers and I countered with a polite thank-you note and lowered the price a couple of hundred dollars - the domain is priced to sell. I've held on to it for a while and have no problem continuing to do so. Th The negotiation was canceled by the buyer.

Two weeks later, I listed the same domain at SEDO with a BIN less than 1/2 the ask. This was accidental. The same buyer made the same first offer ($100). I should have not responded, but I didn't realize that was an option. I've never dealt with SEDO brokerage. I countered with the already low BIN, thinking if the buyer doubled the offer like last time when the price was $700 more, I might go for the auction. The buyer never responded (thankfully) and my domain was stuck in limbo (SEDO never answered my inquiry about deleting an offer that was a BIN - they wouldn't let me change the BIN nor delete the listing, nor answer me.) 10 days later, I got an automated note from Sedo telling me the buyer hadn't responded and invited me to submit a lower counter.

The offer for the second domain at SEDO was $20. After their commission, net was $16. I don't know if I was also supposed to pay for a name transfer. I countered with a reduction of $200 off the Afternic BIN and the buyer canceled the negotiation. I should have not responded, but I figured maybe it was a novice and just hit minimum offer - I don't know what the buying template is.

All four sale busts are post-COVID. Don't have any idea if that's pertinent, but again, the sale prices are so low, I'm disgusted and tempted to just walk. Perhaps that's the idea.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've had three deals on Dan.com fall through - two with the same buyer (shame on me) - except the second time it was an offer made through the Dan system and paid for in escrow - so they're chasing him down. I am wondering what, if any, the penalty for these offenders is. I will pose the same question to Dan, but wondered if anyone else has had this happen. These are small deals.

I get bot initiated notifications informing me that they've sent invoices to the buyer - but the buyer is dragging his heels in following up on the EPP code. I can't push it through on my end, because the transfer is handled from the buyer, so I need to wait to get an email from the registry clearing the sale. The domain is unlocked and time is ticking away before it expires.

This happened at Uniregistry, too. For a $200 sale. Buyer just walked and never heard from. They have a $175 minimum commission, and the offer was for $200. They didn't bother emailing me. I just happened to notice. So, I probably shouldn't count it.

Since Sedo has accepted $20 minimums for offers, I've had three lowball offers for domains not parked there. Two for the same domain. All three were parked at AFTERNIC and listed with a BIN. The first domain had two low offers and I countered with a polite thank-you note and lowered the price a couple of hundred dollars - the domain is priced to sell. I've held on to it for a while and have no problem continuing to do so. Th The negotiation was canceled by the buyer.

Two weeks later, I listed the same domain at SEDO with a BIN less than 1/2 the ask. This was accidental. The same buyer made the same first offer ($100). I should have not responded, but I didn't realize that was an option. I've never dealt with SEDO brokerage. I countered with the already low BIN, thinking if the buyer doubled the offer like last time when the price was $700 more, I might go for the auction. The buyer never responded (thankfully) and my domain was stuck in limbo (SEDO never answered my inquiry about deleting an offer that was a BIN - they wouldn't let me change the BIN nor delete the listing, nor answer me.) 10 days later, I got an automated note from Sedo telling me the buyer hadn't responded and invited me to submit a lower counter.

The offer for the second domain at SEDO was $20. After their commission, net was $16. I don't know if I was also supposed to pay for a name transfer. I countered with a reduction of $200 off the Afternic BIN and the buyer canceled the negotiation. I should have not responded, but I figured maybe it was a novice and just hit minimum offer - I don't know what the buying template is.

All four sale busts are post-COVID. Don't have any idea if that's pertinent, but again, the sale prices are so low, I'm disgusted and tempted to just walk. Perhaps that's the idea.

It's frustrating, most places might suspend or ban a buyer. They can always come back with a different email address, name, etc...

If they were small prices probably nothing worth your time, you could make min offers everywhere so you don't get bothered by the min offers.

•••
No minimum on Uni for BIN domains, 10%.

Enable captcha on Dan for ALL visitors and set default minimum at least $2XX.

Last edited:
•••
•••
DAN will relist after 48 hours if you ask them to. I don’t abide by fools and fake offers so my opening offer is closer to what I actually want. Agree about captcha and of course just a reasonable bin. These things go on alot, covid or not.

•••
Most of the time when i accept an offer with DAN, i just relist the domain without waiting anything. If they buy it good, if not i only lose 15 seconds of my time

•••
Noone@@DAN.COM, since do great job; client service in Dan thread

They still deserve a shoutout in this thread.

@DAN.COM, Has be better way to prevent? Surely, better way deter; non-pay deadbeats. You do great job overall! Hope update TOS;
Make nonpayer liable criminal action fraud— dont just ban people; Seek criminal action

Samer

Last edited:
•••
No minimum on Uni for BIN domains, 10%.

Enable captcha on Dan for ALL visitors and set default minimum at least $2XX.

Good idea - but I know who the buyer is and his email. I have no intention of going around Dan (for my own protection) but should I chide him and offer a rental?

The renewal cost may be prohibiting him, most places have the seller transfer to a registry - DAN puts it on the buyer, which I liked but now I'm not so sure. Didn't know about UNI buy it now. I am registered with their brokerage because I have cheap BIN options at EPIK and DAN. Guess you get what you pay for but NEVER had a problem with EPIK.

Don't get it at DAN - they are holding buyer's money in escrow. Does anyone have losing deposit clauses/penalties like in REAL Real Estate? If you offer $ on real estate, buyer forgoes deposit.

Last edited:
•••
Noone@@DAN.COM, since do great job; client service in Dan thread

They still deserve a shoutout in this thread.

@DAN.COM, Has be better way to prevent? Surely, better way deter; non-pay deadbeats. You do great job overall! Hope update TOS;
Make nonpayer liable criminal action fraud— dont just ban people; Seek criminal action

Samer
Yeah, I wrote them asking for repercussions - thing is, when the sale price is low, no one cares, but it's bread and butter for me on hand registered names. Wondering if there's a blacklist here - or somewhere else for buyers who go south on names in XXX ranges

Last edited:
•••
I get a few non-payers using Dan marketplace/escrow yearly... even companies were among them.
Including this summer.

Last edited:
•••
Very likely from the buyer's POV...
Dan looks like some kind of chat or messaging... Buyers don't accept it as escrow, so credibility - primary reason.
Another possible reason: their processor Adyen (lack of AMEX, false alarms etc).

•••
Dan looks like some kind of chat or messaging... Buyers don't accept it as escrow, so credibility - primary reason.
Another possible reason: their processor Adyen (lack of AMEX, false alarms etc).

What other issues besides the lack of AMEX does Adyen cause?

•••
If we all enjoy 30 day returns for almost anything to buy with a piece of mind, why are the so hard on some getting cold feet after the offer?

If no harm done, then move on. Don't treat any deal as done until paid in full

•••
•••
Well, they collected the money from the buyer already. That's why I sent the EPP code.
And when COVID ended???

LOL. Post the ONSET of COVID. Meaning a lot of people at home, bored, taking more time with their hobbies?

•••
Back