NameSilo

new gtlds There's a .Monster on the loose...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
And it needs some taming. No April Fool's, this one is running around wild as of today. Are you going to catch one, or leave this one under the bed?

Feel free to discuss and showcase your scary, or nice .monster names here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think Rob should buy one.
:)

•••
His name got taken today- wonder by whom? If it was him, what a fit. Although I wouldn't have waited until GA for that one.

so far, this extension avail at:

GD
Porkbun
Dynadot
101domain

and Epik still showing as pre-order.

Last edited:
•••
A cyclops, you know, one-eyed.monster with 1,900 exact/mo.

•••
His name got taken today- wonder by whom? If it was him, what a fit. Although I wouldn't have waited until GA for that one.
at Undeveloped now

•••
.monster is going to be a big hit

•••
I was thinking river.monster, turn out to be registry premium domain (I thought I'm the only one watching river monsters).

•••
I was thinking river.monster, turn out to be registry premium domain (I thought I'm the only one watching river monsters).
I thought the same with Frankenstein's Monster, hoping the plural would slip through unnoticed. But alas, did not. Sneaky little monsters.

picked up:

v8 • monster
story • monster
pot • monster

•••
I own a .monster and a few other domains owned by uniregistry, but I want to warn new members of something. I recommend not buying TOO many domains from any ext owned by uniregistry.

About 2 years ago the raised renewal prices 300%+ on many of their extensions (not .xyz, ofc).

What this means is, this could be a bait and switch. Just because it's $10 renew now, don't think they can't change it to $50 or $100. by the time you need to renew.

It happened to me. Don't go too crazy on .monster. IMO

•••
With Icann at the wheel it's a never-ending fools' day.

If you tell people they can register names ending in .monster, you are not sure they will believe you.

•••
So what would be the best dot monster domains that would be held by the registry? lol Scary.monster Sea.monster Movie.monster LochNess.monster

•••
It's really early to judge or valuate .monster, but there is one good thing for sure: logo design will be much much fun.

•••
It seems most obviously good names are either reserved, taken or high premium, although I have not checked all that much. For Red Sox fans green.monster would be nice but its like over $500. Porkbun show the renewal as standard though - does someone know if that is right and applies to all domains in the TLD.

It is simplistic thinking, I guess, but one thing I like to do is see how popular in search results an extension by itself is. On that grounds monster is 15x or more less popular than .best and even less compared to .top, for example.

I think a few exact match ones will find end use but don't see much for domain investors here. Like @Kate says most people will think you are joking when you say there is a .monster TLD.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
so far, this extension avail at:
  • GD
  • Porkbun
  • Dynadot
  • 101domain
and Epik still showing as pre-order.

For those with subscriptions, I see that it is also available at Domain Cost Club now.
Surprised Namecheap don't yet have it - usually they are fast on new gTLDs.

Bob

•••
Just registered

Brexit.monster

How's that for a real live monster ;)

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if the owner of drink.monster will be UDRPed.

Last edited:
•••
I usually never consider regging a TLDs more than 4 char long, but I found a .monster I might be willing to reg for a personal site to develop.

I'll have to sleep on it.

•••
god what a waste of time and money for everybody involved.

•••
It happened to me. Don't go too crazy on .monster. IMO
I don't think it is owned by UNI, is it?

It seems most obviously good names are either reserved, taken or high premium, although I have not checked all that much. For Red Sox fans green.monster would be nice but its like over $500. Porkbun show the renewal as standard though - does someone know if that is right and applies to all domains in the TLD.

It is simplistic thinking, I guess, but one thing I like to do is see how popular in search results an extension by itself is. On that grounds monster is 15x or more less popular than .best and even less compared to .top, for example.

I think a few exact match ones will find end use but don't see much for domain investors here.
Yep if they are showing renewal as standard, than that's what it is. Premium to register only. I have never seen PB steer wrong.

Comparing to best or top, its a different monster though. Those are descriptors used all day long, monster is a bit more brandable.. eg. just like the monster drink, or monster.com job search, monster trucks, booger monster, the monster mash etc. It's nice to see a creative format come along for a change. I don't think we've seen something like this since .ninja, just a good, fun TLD.

btw Bob, Talent /Monster avail.. non-premium.

I would have taken brand/monster if it hadn't been nabbed already.

Good advice @JayT constraint is best.

•••
Worse as .horse

Anyone investing in new tlds I suggest you see what good ones are at brands.international. Real business names that startup would buy.

•••
I don't think it is owned by UNI, is it?

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/monster.html
Delegation Record for .MONSTER

(Generic top-level domain)
Sponsoring Organisation

XYZ.COM LLC
2121 E Tropicana Ave, STE2
Las Vegas, NV 89119
United States
Administrative Contact

Grant Carpenter
XYZ.COM LLC
2800 Olympic Blvd., #1
Santa Monica, CA 90404
United States
Email: [email protected]
Voice: +17027576555
Technical Contact

CTO
CentralNic
35-39 Moorgate
London
EC2R 6AR
United Kingdom
Email: [email protected]
Voice: +44.2033880600
Fax: +44.2033880601
Name Servers

Host NameIP Address(es)
d.nic.monster 212.18.249.83
2a04:2b00:13ff:0:0:0:0:83
a.nic.monster 194.169.218.83
2001:67c:13cc:0:0:0:1:83
b.nic.monster 185.24.64.83
2a04:2b00:13cc:0:0:0:1:83
c.nic.monster 212.18.248.83
2a04:2b00:13ee:0:0:0:0:83
Registry Information

URL for registration services: http://get.monster
WHOIS Server: whois.nic.monster
IANA Reports

Record last updated 2019-03-28. Registration date 2015-12-23.

•••
I wonder if the owner of drink.monster will be UDRPed.
At this point, I'm surprised we haven't seen an entire extension handed a udrp yet..

•••
Nah, that would be impossible. Monster is just a word. The Monster (drink and clothing) TM is only protected in the industries in which it operates. I can start company that sells window blinds and call it Monster. Not a TM infringement.

Last edited:
•••
.monster is going to be a big hit

Hmmm.... really ??

So how many businesses do you know with an affiliation to a monster or anything relating to it?

domain.monster?

Monster Domains would be better.

In my opinion it has limited potential because unless you are looking to name your business something related to monster then the extension would have no interest. Other than to domainers of course who will probably end up funding the entire extension in the end.

My opinion is stick to .com and ccTLD's when possible unless the gTLD has a definite (premium) business application. Caution is the word with gTLD's.... think twice before clicking the purchase button, one can easily get carried away and then comes the big drop.

Talking about drops.... keep an eye on .dev the drops should be in full swing soon.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back