IT.COM

The truth about Chinese Premiums...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RU

I'm out of domaining. ~RusselAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
Hi

I saw that non-CHIPs aeiouv .com / .net are taken by Chinese! That's a scandal!

aeiouv(.)com
upload_2015-11-23_3-41-38.png

aeiouv(.)net

upload_2015-11-23_3-40-59.png

What do you think about this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well vowels are certainly used in their country so I not surprised as many so called Chinese style domains have sold with vowels.

Not sure where the no vowel thing was started but it seemed to just catch on and a lot of posts started regurgitating the same info that vowels were bad just like the number zero which IMO is just false info.

•••
Many have pointed this out. 4 means death, bad luck etc. to the point of some product lines not using 4, buildings with no 4th floor etc but 4.cn does just fine. Why didn't they pick another number. Maybe weren't available, only thing left was death.

•••
Acronyms of Chinese phrases are not so different from that of English. There are also Pinyin starts with a vowel, but only limited to a, e and o(no pinyin begins with i, u, or v), for example: "ai" for love, "er zi" for son and "ou zhou" for Europe. But such words are much fewer than the consonant-start ones. Therefore, pure consonant abbreviations give more possible combinations and potentiality to sell easier.

•••
Many have pointed this out. 4 means death, bad luck etc. to the point of some product lines not using 4, buildings with no 4th floor etc but 4.cn does just fine. Why didn't they pick another number. Maybe weren't available, only thing left was death.
Reason: self consolation and attention diversion

When the number 4 is inevitable, most Chinese would turn to the other meaning of it:
4 reads "fa" as a musical note, and the word "发(fa)" means "get rich".

And there are similar mentality like this, i.e:
When a porcelain plate or bowl falls and breaks/"了(sui le)", then Chinese would say 岁岁平安(sui sui ping an), meaning "to be safe each year" as a consolation.

•••
Reason: self consolation and attention diversion

When the number 4 is inevitable, most Chinese would turn to the other meaning of it:
4 reads "fa" as a musical note, and the word "发(fa)" means "get rich".

And there are similar mentality like this, i.e:
When a porcelain plate or bowl falls and breaks/"了(sui le)", then Chinese would say 岁岁平安(sui sui ping an), meaning "to be safe each year" as a consolation.

So 4 could be get rich or dying/death. So 50 Cent = Get Rich or Die Tryin'

•••
So 4 could be get rich or dying/death. So 50 Cent = Get Rich or Die Tryin'
4, as a number, reads "si", the same as 死(die/dying/death); as a musical note, it's "fa", as 发(get rich).
And number is more common than musical notes are in daily life, and domaining of course, so it is still the first number you might want to avoid for dealing with Chinese who cares about this. And in fact, most of us do care, but not that serious, similar to 13 in western cultures IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Meanwhile, while Westerners are all paranoid about the number 4, the Chinese are busy buying and registering 4's in lucky combos and doubles and triples.

Just do a Whois search on some samples, and you'll see what I mean.

•••
Perhaps Tian is a hipster and he wanted to own them "ironically"? ;)

•••
Meanwhile, while Westerners are all paranoid about the number 4, the Chinese are busy buying and registering 4's in lucky combos and doubles and triples.

Just do a Whois search on some samples, and you'll see what I mean.
Haha, this could be a strategy. Have you ever read the Sun Tzu's book The Art Of War?
In this book, one of the war stragies is making a feint to the east and attacking in the west.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back