Dynadot

information The tidal wave of Brazilian traffic has broke

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I have Google Analytics setup for around 10,000 names. While I don't actively monitor the stats on an individual level, I do take look at the origin of the traffic.

For 2-3 months I was seeing around 200,000 uniques per month, with the majority of that traffic coming from Brazil. I have noticed other people reporting a surge of traffic over this time period as well.

As of February 25th, the Brazilian traffic has stopped.

Traffic has since dropped to around 20,000 uniques per month, with the majority coming from within the United States.

I suspect many of you have either seen or will be seeing a significant drop off in traffic.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
that brazilian traffic had been going on for some time , definitely longer than 2-3 months

fortunately, any of us that have our domains parked, didn't feel that drop since the traffic got filtered out about a month or so after it appeared

as far as I remember, traffic came from all those seo-something sites

•••
that brazilian traffic had been going on for some time , definitely longer than 2-3 months

fortunately, any of us that have our domains parked, didn't feel that drop since the traffic got filtered out about a month or so after it appeared

as far as I remember, traffic came from all those seo-something sites

I only have stats dating back to early January so that's when I noticed the pickup. Regardless, it seems to have died. Thankfully.

•••
It was just Semalt getting busy with their keyword research tool again out of their Sao Paulo servers.. nothing new, they come always back after some months, then die down for a while just to return.. the guys over there in the traffic forum can tell you more about that "phenomenon"..

•••
•••
that is called "referrer spam"
they try to improve their SEO
in having links from other websites from
their awstats or other statistics software

pure bot traffic
can be blocked using .htaccess easily

## STOP REFERRER SPAM
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} success\-seo\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} semalt\.com [NC,OR]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} best\-seo\-solution\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} best\-seo\-offer\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} buttons\-for\-website\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} promotion\-traffic\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} video\-\-production\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} rankings\-analytics\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} fast\-wordpress\-start\.com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} justprofit\.xyz [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} top1\-seo\-service\.com [NC,OR]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} unlimited\-monetization\.com [NC,OR]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} videos\-for\-your\-business\.com [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [F]

•••
can be blocked using .htaccess easily

Yes, but not if you do not have access to the htaccess file such as when your sites are parked with a parking service.

•••
It was just Semalt getting busy with their keyword research tool again out of their Sao Paulo servers.. nothing new, they come always back after some months, then die down for a while just to return.. the guys over there in the traffic forum can tell you more about that "phenomenon"..

Thanks for this. I was suffering this Brazil waves. It was not something really important to me, but I just felt curious about what the reason could be.

•••
Yes, but not if you do not have access to the htaccess file such as when your sites are parked with a parking service.
Parkingcrew blocks it

•••
I'm going to start a parking service.
Then I will set up my bots from servers in Brazil because I'm not from there.
Or I can outsource it and make someone else running bots very happy.
Then my bots can hit my parking pages and click some links,
And if I'm careful no one out there will stop and realize what's really going on.

Oh wait, that's been done already ...

•••
you will not get paid from bot traffic
these guys are not stupid

•••
I started blocking ALL referral traffic (and links) with this nifty tidbit of .htaccess, robots.txt, and analytics blocking. Once you do this all bot and junk traffic should be eliminated for good.

.htaccess :
ErrorDocument 403 "Message 2439: You must navigate directly to this website: type domain into the navigation bar of your browser."

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} .
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !domain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule .? - [F]

robots.txt code:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Go to Google Analytics and block these sources. You will need three filters to accomplish this. Just drop this code into the 'filter pattenrs'.

uptimechecker\.|website-analyzer\.|uptimebot\.|uptime\.

4webmasters\.|trafficmonetizer\.|traffic2money\.|video--production\.|seo-platform\.|best-seo-software\.|justprofit\.|haosou\.|rankings-analytics\.|promotion-traffic\.|traffic2cash\.|fast-wordpress-start\.|boost-my-site\.|top1-seo-service\.|scripted\.

darodar\.|semalt\.|buttons-for-website|blackhatworth|ilovevitaly|prodvigator|cenokos\.|ranksonic\.|adcash\.|simple-share-buttons\.|social-buttons\.|sitevaluation\.|semaltmedia\.|100dollars-seo\.|videos-for-your-business\.|webmonetizer\.|success-seo\.

•••
I started blocking ALL referral traffic (and links) with this nifty tidbit of .htaccess, robots.txt, and analytics blocking. Once you do this all bot and junk traffic should be eliminated for good.

Have you tested this for a while to see if it really works?

•••
•••
Referrer spam (and ghost referrer spam) filtering may not be a problem in analytics much longer - Google now appears to be applying a filter to it before it hits the acquisition reports. http://www.thesempost.com/google-analytics-referral-spam-removed/

Was the Brazilian traffic confirmed referrer spam? A lot of malicious bot traffic also seem to come from Brazil.

•••
•••
Type ins would be direct traffic = has no referrer = not referral spam. :)

Interesting though ...

•••
Type ins would be direct traffic = has no referrer = not referral spam. :)

Interesting though ...

Assumed as much. Though, I try not to make such assumptions when dealing with things I seriously know nothing about. :)

•••
I think that Microsoft ended up using some Brazilian IP space for its cloud services after it ran out of ARIN/ North American IP addresses. Perhaps some of these Brazilian IPs reverse to these IP ranges.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Is this brazilian traffic back as of March 14th?
I see additional 1100-1200 uniques/1000 domains daily. Unfortunately I don't have traffic analytics.

•••
Is this brazilian traffic back as of March 14th?
I see additional 1100-1200 uniques/1000 domains daily. Unfortunately I don't have traffic analytics.

You are exactly correct.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back