NameSilo
 23:13:45:24 

The term Push instead of transfer - diff?

Located in General Domain Discussion, started by Jake2011, Feb 24, 2017

Replies:
Views:

1. Jake2011

Jake2011 Established Member

Hello all, Might seem like a dumb question but I see many offers for sale that say "push Godaddy" or whoever. What is the difference between a push if I sell a domain or a transfer?

Thanks

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Ted.T

Ted.T Top Contributor VIP

In domainer's language, Push means an internal transfer from one user's account to another, while Transfer means transferring the domain from one Registrar to another.

3. Jake2011

Are pushes on same registrar usually free? Is that why everyone seems to prefer this? .com transfers are free unless you use godaddy and a few others. Am I missing something?
    Thanks

4. Domains - Wanted

Domains - Wanted Top Contributor VIP

Yes.
    Except for a few registrars like 1&1 and Dada Group (Register.it, Nominalia, etc.)
    Yes. Plus it's (usually) instantenous. Transfers take a little more time.
    Transfers between registrars are never free! Transfers = 1 year renewals.

5. namelancer

namelancer Established Member

There is another factor weighing heavily on a preference for pushes. In the world of domain trading where it's not unknown for names to change hands at the blistering speed of fast domain transfers, pushing may me the only choice, in compliance with an ICANN rule prohibiting inter-registrar transfers of newly registered (or previously registered but subsequently/materially changed as a result of new ownership) names if they are less than 60 days old, to flip a name.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Kuffy

Kuffy Name Stag VIP

Are people saying that GoDaddy charges for pushes, or demands a one year renewal?

7. Jake2011

I have never pushed anywhere but I was going to transfer all my domains to Godaddy until they told me they would charge me $9 each. That would have cost me thousands. My current registrar transfers .coms, for no charge, to other registrars so as a seller that is a good option.

8. Ted.T

Ted.T Top Contributor VIP

I think you misunderstood the concept of transfer. Every transfer involves a renewal price, so by paying $9 per domain you get an additional year. Plus to this, only receiving registrar charges a fee. Godaddy also has no charge if you transfer your domain away from them.

9. Jake2011

Ok now I see what you are saying. I was confused because I recently transferred a group of my domains to a different registrar and they only charged me an extra year for the ones that had less than 3 months.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice