Dynadot

analysis The Second One: .NET Domain Extension

NameSilo
Watch

Kemal G

Established Member
Impact
.NET, the little brother of .COM, introduced in the same year as .com, .org and .edu, in 1985. We will cover the details about .NET, which is the second most registered domain extension with 13.7 million domain names.

The Story of .NET
The first created .net domain name is nordu.net. It was created on 1 January 1985 according to the public records, and NORDUnet (organization) has used this domain name since 1985.

.NET was introduced in 1985, managed by Network Solutions from 1991 to 2001. VeriSign acquired Network Solutions in 2001 and became the registry of .net extension. VeriSign has been managing .net for 20 years.

In this post you can find all these:
  • The Oldest .NET Domain Names
  • Most Popular .NET Websites
  • Most Expensive .NET Domain Sales
  • Top Countries of .NET Domain Extension
  • Most Popular Keywords of .NET Domains
  • .NET Domain Count By Years
  • .NET Domain Count By Length
  • Top .NET Registrars
  • How Many of .NET Domain Names are Being Actively Used?
READ MORE

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally I'm a big fan of the extension. Call it nostalgia :) Thanks for sharing!

I noticed a big drop in registrations for 2020. Is that because metrics are only from Q1 2020? were there actually that many drops?

There have been some deep discounts on .net in the past, nowadays not so much which could explain it.

•••
Cant spell internet without Net :)

•••
Personally I'm a big fan of the extension. Call it nostalgia :) Thanks for sharing!

I noticed a big drop in registrations for 2020. Is that because metrics are only from Q1 2020? were there actually that many drops?

There have been some deep discounts on .net in the past, nowadays not so much which could explain it.

Yes. The stat for this year includes the registrations until today.

Thank you. :)

•••
Although I believe that .com is the king, some .net domains look better than the .com version.
Of course, if you already have the .com version. :xf.wink:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back