Dynadot

discuss The righteous' path is riddled with peril: How I helped a buyer get a domain for less, and regret it

NameSilo
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Edit: (don't take the first phrase of the title seriously... it's just a reading lure :xf.smile:)

Just a simple story,

These days I've helped a buyer on a different forum to get his domain for much cheaper. Quoted at 5k, initially countered at 4.5k. I've helped him get the domain for $2.5K which is half the amount.

I never even got a thanks, just a recognition of the help: "You probably have saved me some money here". Yeah, that's 2K precisely. But no thanks followed.

Then, guess what: The buyer figured out that he could use me for much more. "Once I build my site, can you help with comments as how the page is, my products, my prices"?

Then he got buyer's remorse for paying 2.5K on a perfect brandable .com domain for this business, and his dream name.

Then he learned I'm in business for decades and he figured out "Ah, interesting, what advice can you give me for starting a new business?"

So I've cut the conversation forever. But this left me wondering. Often we try to do good but we end up doing the wrong thing instead.

What was I doing here? Helping a dude that is not grateful and doesn't have common sense limits and not really thankful, against a fellow domain seller in the same industry. Taking money out of the industry in favor of a clueless and ungrateful buyer.

Never again.

So in the future be mindful, help your fellow domainers not the buyers.

The buyers must be helped to pay the full amount or more. Most don't understand anything and don't even appreciate this industry at all - but on the contrary.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The righteous path? Really.......comes across as being morally superior to me - might want to take another look at that title :xf.wink:

It looks like he was taking the p^ss, kept asking for more and more - with these kind of people it is just take, take, take - you've done the best thing by ignoring the prat......

Last edited:
•••
The righteous path? Really.......comes across as being morally superior to me - might want to take another look at that title :xf.wink:

It looks like he was taking the p^ss, kept asking for more and more - with these kind of people it is just take, take, take - you've done the best thing by ignoring the prat......

Thanks. I've added a note to not take the title that seriously :xf.smile:

But yeah, this is how it went. We all make mistakes and learn from them. I'm sharing one of mine today.

One thing I've learned in decades of sales? Dang I hate buyers. This is why I have someone else deal with them whenever I can. Interaction with bad buyers over years really changes you.

Most common buyer mindset: "I'm interested in me, me, me, what do I get. What more can I get. And I don't give a ... about you or anyone else."

Last edited:
•••
Thanks. I've added a note to not take the title that seriously :xf.smile:

But yeah, this is how it went. We all make mistakes and learn from them. I'm sharing one of mine today.

One thing I've learned in decades of sales? Dang I hate buyers. This is why I have someone else deal with them whenever I can. Interaction with bad buyers over years really changes you.

Most common buyer mindset: "I'm interested in me, me, me, what do I get. What more can I get. And I don't give a ... about you or anyone else."
A lot business owners, senior execs etc have psychotic or narcissistic (or both) behaviour traits......so I'm not really that surprised tbh 🙂

•••
A lot business owners, senior execs etc have psychotic or narcissistic (or both) behaviour traits......so I'm not really that surprised tbh 🙂

Thank you very much for your kind appreciation :xf.grin:

•••
On a more serious note, I've always trained my employees (and myself) that the buyer is always right, even when they aren't right. With the note that you have to step in and educate the buyer whenever it looks possible.

Also, those bosses' of any kind that are not able to create harmony and properly motivate a team based on values and so on, are not creating stable and profitable environments.

I can leave the business for a year or two and when I get back it's still rolling well (been doing this several times in the past). That tells something. But it took me long time to do it. And I had to self-educate a lot for that, guess none of us is born an entrepreneur so we have to learn it.

I love dealing with purchases and business partners, negotiations etc. including with financial institutions, but not with uneducated buyers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back