IT.COM

sales The Quality of Your Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
This is one of the most difficult topics to cover and it’s easy for a domain investor to throw their hands up in the air and say, “It depends on the buyer.” Although this is a true statement, it is sometimes used as an excuse for lazy thinking. Let’s begin to unpack this most difficult of topics.

For a start, everyone will have different opinions on pricing and much of it will be tainted by their own experience. Selling a domain for a lot of money doesn’t make you a genius, it just means you’ve sold a domain. What makes you smart is if you’ve had a deliberate strategy for the sales of your domains and that strategy is unfolding in a successful outcome.

A fundamental error that many domain investors do is look at their portfolio of a thousand domains and multiply it by an average sales price of $1500 per domain. They then congratulate themselves on owning a $1.5 million-dollar asset. If this was true, then what would stop you from buying 9,000 more domains so your portfolio is now worth $15m?

Read More >

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Michael, well written.

•••
Reading the article, I feel happy that none of my domains is for sales in general meaning, every each of them is supposed to have a project behind and I feel for domainers. Personally for me its much easier and more profitable to find investments for my projects than trying to sell a party hat to a cancer patient.

Last edited:
•••
Selling a domain for a lot of money doesn’t make you a genius, it just means you’ve sold a domain. What makes you smart is if you’ve had a deliberate strategy for the sales of your domains and that strategy is unfolding in a successful outcome.

again 100% agreed

-- hopefully I don't gett used to it ..---

•••
If you are sitting with 1,000 domains and you have a sale a few times per year then my advice is to start dropping domains immediately. You’re effectively subsidizing your business every year as you reach into your pocket to pay the renewal fees.

well ..

thats is only true if the sale price is below $1000 USD
and you sell less then 10 domains / year

and you are not willing to wait for 10 years
and selling at a much higher price point then

•••
Thanks Michael for sharing.

Agree, we need to pay attention to the ever changing market, drop crappy names, learn to price our valuable names

•••
Well written,

IMO - if you can turn your portfolio at 2.5% or better with sales over $1,000 you are doing well.

•••
•••
Quality is in the eyes of the beholder, unfortunately some people can't see too well.

•••
It's an acquired taste, like picking a fine wine

•••
You don't find the best names, they find you.

•••
Prospecting for buried gold! :pirate:

•••
Good domains are needles in a haystack.

•••
There is only one indicator of quality and that is sales. Quality also means you understand the market and what to sell for. I get about 4 sales per 100 domains yearly with a cut through of 5k but I had one at 75k with another similar in the works.

Not bragging but just saying.... even if you have the best domains in the world, do you have quality without sales?

PS. It took me 5 years to get a 75k sale and I have one more in the works. For me it is usually a domain I have showcased and own both the regional .ca and the .com

•••
There is only one indicator of quality and that is sales. Quality also means you understand the market and what to sell for. I get about 4 sales per 100 domains yearly with a cut through of 5k but I had one at 75k with another similar in the works.

Not bragging but just saying.... even if you have the best domains in the world, do you have quality without sales?

PS. It took me 5 years to get a 75k sale and I have one more in the works. For me it is usually a domain I have showcased and own both the regional .ca and the .com
Nice,..Mind sharing the 75k domain you sold. Or did you sign an nda?

•••
Yes I signed a non disclosure agreement..... I can tell you it was a company in the media business that bought the domain. That is after I sent them a mock website showcasing the domain and logo and how it would look as their website.

It would be a cold day in.... H E Double Hockey sticks....... before that sale just came to me.

•••
It's an acquired taste, like picking a fine wine

Is it sad that I had to use domains to envision what picking fine wine would be like? :-P

•••
What leafy.com .net .info and .org. Can get in their respect

•••
do u own that name or are you using it as an example

•••
No using it as example well own leafy.info

•••
No using it as example well own leafy.info
Using your domain name as an example, Imo I think it is a good example of a low quality name, firstly the YouTube leafy comes to mind and it's a .Info.
Why do you think it is a quality name?
Just my opinion but good luck with that.

•••
Haaa haaa lol leafy is a great word and giving example because it worth more than any other word selling these days .as it is related to nature and I am giving example of 4 top tld . Do you own such domain in info . Give me nature.info I want to have it in my portfolio and then say it is low quality.

•••
this is not the appraisal section

•••
I was giving example of high quality domain in respect of recent sales not asking appraisal for leafy.con

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back