NameSilo

question The Purge

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
"This notice is to inform you that one of your domains has expired."

Another one bites the dust. And I'm actually happy about it.

After "your domain just sold" this is my second favorite email. LOL
There's something oddly refreshing about deleting names from my hosting and Afternic accounts.
Like a digital spring cleaning.

So how many names do you have on your "will not renew" list?

Mine - 265 expire in 2017, 255 in 2018 (yay, ~$4000 down the drain - it's all those blasted promotions, $1 here, $2 there and before you know it you've just spent a few thousands).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In 2017, total number of drop names will be very close to 200 domains. Good thing is I'm getting rid of poor quality of domains and the bad thing is rarely any domain was hand reg.

And for 2018 I plan to drop around 50 domains only at max.

•••
I dont own that many domains, but i think my drop list list this year will only be 3 or 4 domains. But im sure next year will probably end up being all my .shop and .cam domains.

But i will probably end up listing them on flippa first as a joblot auction with no reserve

•••
I will be dropping around 200 of my $1-$2 regs. Having sold a couple of those lower-end domains and planning to renew a few that sparked some interest, it has been a slightly positive investment.

@AbdulBasit.com I'm sorry to hear that you are dropping non-hand-regs. Can you share what type they are (keyword, brandable, liquid etc) ?

•••
This year I'm making a true recovery and turnaround of my (little) portfolio: I've already dropped all new GLTD and many .Coms.

I'm looking for a new strategy!

b02a1dead9ee836b7017d07e155f5573.jpg

•••
I will be dropping around 200 of my $1-$2 regs. Having sold a couple of those lower-end domains and planning to renew a few that sparked some interest, it has been a slightly positive investment.

@AbdulBasit.com I'm sorry to hear that you are dropping non-hand-regs. Can you share what type they are (keyword, brandable, liquid etc) ?

Foreign languages which has meaning of 2 words.
Not much common person names of 1 and 2 words.
.net, .info as well.

•••
Guys - what percentage of your portfolio will you be dropping?

At the start of 2017 I had around 2000 names - in the second half of 2018 I'm planning to be closer to 200.
But there's always that thought at the back of your head - the more I buy, the more I sell. That "fear of missing out" on your next big payout.

•••
To date in 2017 have allowed 17 names to expire.

Will likely allow another 5 - 10 max. to also bite the expired dust.

A few were .coms, a few were .orgs and the remainder were new dot extensions I acquired on spec.

•••
Guys - what percentage of your portfolio will you be dropping?

At the start of 2017 I had around 2000 names - in the second half of 2018 I'm planning to be closer to 200.
But there's always that thought at the back of your head - the more I buy, the more I sell. That "fear of missing out" on your next big payout.

Do you mean you will be dropping close to 1,800 domains? :xf.eek:

•••
There's something oddly refreshing about deleting names from my hosting and Afternic accounts.
Like a digital spring cleaning.

I know what you mean.

If feels great to unload a bunch of names and not have to spend on renewal fees.

I am dropping a sh*t load of names right now and it feels fantastic !!

•••
•••
Yup - around 1300 of them are from $1-2 promotions (e.g. around 1000 $1 LLL.techs).

Oh well you had the addiction of new gTLDs. Those need to be dropped and focus must be shifted towards .com:xf.wink:

•••
Yup - around 1300 of them are from $1-2 promotions (e.g. around 1000 $1 LLL.techs).

You sold 0 out of 1,000 .tech's ?

•••
Oh well you had the addiction of new gTLDs.
Nah, apart from those LLL.tech I only had a few nGTLDs - dropped all, not planning to buy more.

You sold 0 out of 1,000 .tech's ?
No, I sold some in bulk at Namepros ($1-3) and a few $50-200 to end users
Overall I think I made around $1800 (too lazy to check the exact number)

Technically I almost doubled my investment but it was a pain in the ### to manage. Not worth the trouble.

•••
I wonder how many of those expired names are ones that I've bought off the registrar's expired list, :)

•••
I find it extremely refreshing - my annual cleanup and it gets done for me!

Set to drop around 30 domains this year....

Last edited:
•••
I wonder how many of those expired names are ones that I've bought off the registrar's expired list, :)
Who knows - but I see Hugedomains loves my dropped brandables LOL - most had $xxx BIN on them, now they are at $2xxx-$3xxx.
Yeah, good luck with that :ROFL:

•••
I find its good to let at least 10% of your domains expire from year to year. This forces you to evaluate your portfolio and dump the lower end domains/websites.

•••
Rarely drop anything. This isn't due to a few not needing to be dropped but due to that I'm too busy and profitable so easier to just hit bulk renew than to debate things. Someday I do need to auction off a few that are good but lower end of the portfolio.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back