Dynadot

opinion The .org owners thoughts?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
For a long time I have owned the .com (Parked) to a .org that is a now a successful developed football related website. I have twice tried to contact the owner but zero response.

Now he may simply be happy with the .org or simply peed off that I have offered the .com or some other reason, don't know.

But zero response seems strange as I know he has read the emails with relevant information. Basically just yesterday alone the .com received well over 400 uniques and I earned $10 so I am content to leave as is.

Would you miss out on that traffic/income to your site and not even attempt to make contact with the source?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For a long time I have owned the .com (Parked) to a .org that is a now a successful developed football related website. I have twice tried to contact the owner but zero response.

Now he may simply be happy with the .org or simply peed off that I have offered the .com or some other reason, don't know.

But zero response seems strange as I know he has read the emails with relevant information. Basically just yesterday alone the .com received well over 400 uniques and I earned $10 so I am content to leave as is.

Would you miss out on that traffic/income to your site and not even attempt to make contact with the source?

Hi @wot

I guess it is all about the nature of your email, what was in it?

•••
Hi @wot

I guess it is all about the nature of your email, what was in it?

Based on my few years of experience, information that would have been of benefit to the owner of the .org to at least respond.

But as I said, the parking income for no effort is quite acceptable to me.

•••
I've been operating some popular .org sites in the past (Internet tech), at time it was 'not done' to use a .com for this. Did not even register the .com while available, only .org. The websites got slashdotted and I got an email from the .com owner as well. Did not respond to it.

There may be lots of reasons why you did not get the response you were hoping for. Without helping us a little about what you wrote, there's nothing to base any opinion on. Imho.

•••
@wot some ppl don't care or just non educated in branding, here's my example: I have JERYCO.COM UK company is running a jewelry business on a hyphenated jeryco-store.com I offered my domain for $xxx, $xx and even for $0 FREE LOL they are not interested / not responding.

GUCCI.COM or gucci-store. com?
JERYCO.COM or jeryco-store.com?

I have Vervice.com got a lot of traffic from Vervice.org
My verdict: People on .orgs don't care about .com domains

•••
As I said,just interested as to why a site owner would bleed traffic/income to another extension without even investigating.
The name is a single one word non English generic football related name that has other potential buyers.
Just occurred,language could be a barrier.

•••
Wish you good luck selling, or otherwise profiting with your domain.

•••
ABCbuys.com getting a lot of traffic from developed ABCbuyscars.com
I think if your domain brings the traffic. keep it for another buyer..

•••
Am not sure where to starts, I thought [.org ] domains are mainly for charities and non-governmental ( NGOs ) or non- for profits organizations. I personally have a few names and planning to develop some and maybe sell some;
i.e. ecosoft.org,
ples.org,
poin.org
zega.org
and some English word such: stooge.org

•••
Wish you good luck selling, or otherwise profiting with your domain.
Thanks.
The parking income gets me a couple of rounds of golf a month so no problem one way or the other.

•••
Could also be a simple case of the email going to spam and them not seeing it - I get this quite a lot with work, when I do eventually speak to a senior exec I ask them to check their spam box and lo and behold there are the 2 emails I have sent (original & 1 follow up)........

Not everyone checks their junk box......

•••
Could also be a simple case of the email going to spam and them not seeing it - I get this quite a lot with work, when I do eventually speak to a senior exec I ask them to check their spam box and lo and behold there are the 2 emails I have sent (original & 1 follow up)........

Not everyone checks their junk box......
GetNotify.com can work which It did in this case.

•••
GetNotify.com can work which It did in this case.
I need to stop replying to posts before the first coffee kicks in......

Always difficult to try and make judgements based on outgoing emails when you don't get a response - could be they got pissed off with the pricing or they are just thinking about it - some people take ages making a decision, as well as the reasons you gave....

As you said you are making some decent revenue of it, covers the renewal fees and then some and you have been around long enough to just wait and see if they come back to you....not much else you can do

•••
Also depends who reads the email.

Some would take any email offering a domain as a spam or scam.

Or they do read and understand it and hope if they ignore you then you'll drop the domain and they'll get it for nothing.

•••
Call the store, ask to speak with marketing or media.

Otherwise, it's easy to find the store owner, so use linkedin and contact them.

With sales, it's all about speaking to the right person.

If you have to speak with an employee answering the phone, say something like:

"I have agreed to rediscuss an important business matter with (owner name/manager name/marketing officer) and I won't be rescheduling time for this matter again. So if (owner name/ manager name/ marketing officer name) has failed to make time once again, I'm sure they'll understand why I'll have to walk away from this one."

Your role: Actuary
Your firm: Rubix
Your Agenda: Brand Protection
Concern:

Anyone can create a scam service, stealing information, fake website, destroy client base, steal traffic, etc , etc, etc , etc, with the .org or .com (whichever they don't have.)

E.g.

- PhishingTitle.domainmame.com
Or
- PhishingTitle.domainname.org

Etc.
Etc.
Etc

There's a lot more that goes into this, like lots. but the point is, you need to get the right person on the phone, and educate them effectively, focus on positives whilst briefly outlining concerns, otherwise outbound is pointless.

•••
There are many similar cases. Try sending a letter to them by post.

•••
Phone + decision makers.
Email outbound is for kids.

•••
No real mystery here.

If the operator of the website was interested he or she would reach out to you.

It's entirely likely that he/she doesn't care about a "traffic bleed". To a website operator, those who are actually interested in the real site will find it - by search, WOM, external links, etc.

Unless your domain is inherently generic your insistence on selling it may some day come back to bite you in the . . wallet. Pocket your parking revenue and forget about cutting open the goose that is laying the golden eggs. You know how that fable ends, don't you? ;) :-/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back